• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the Odds there's a God?

gnomon

But why should we challenge each others beliefs in the first place?

We all have a right to our beliefs no matter if we are Atheist, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Agnostic, Jewish, Pagan, Gnostic, Deist, Heathen, Taoist, LDS, what ever floats our boats!

We should not have to defend our beliefs!

Yes, you should.

Because if you cannot then your belief is meaningless. To yourself.

Anyway, it's not as if beliefs are harmless:
Scientology
Osho
People's Temple
Unification Church
Falun Gong
Branch Davidians
Heaven's Gate
Peter Popoff
Benny Hinn

YouTube - African Witch Children Pt 1 (2008)

Go ahead. Do not challenge their beliefs. Because if beliefs must be respected and protected than it does not matter what the belief is. It does not matter if person A believes God is love and person B believes that burning a child they think is a witch is a good thing.

Maybe now people can understand the following statement:
No unexamined religion, no belief religious or secular, deserves respect. Examined or not they are hardly deserving of respect.

You challenge it.

You have to defend your beliefs whether they are religious or not. Anything else is either ignorance or cowardice.

EverChanging

Yes, you should.

Because if you cannot then your belief is meaningless. To yourself.

Anyway, it's not as if beliefs are harmless:
Scientology
Osho
People's Temple
Unification Church
Falun Gong
Branch Davidians
Heaven's Gate
Peter Popoff
Benny Hinn

YouTube - African Witch Children Pt 1 (2008)

Go ahead. Do not challenge their beliefs. Because if beliefs must be respected and protected than it does not matter what the belief is. It does not matter if person A believes God is love and person B believes that burning a child they think is a witch is a good thing.

Maybe now people can understand the following statement:
No unexamined religion, no belief religious or secular, deserves respect. Examined or not they are hardly deserving of respect.

You challenge it.

You have to defend your beliefs whether they are religious or not. Anything else is either ignorance or cowardice.
Agreed. :) Challenging a person's beliefs is acceptable, even required, in any other field -- geology, mathematics, cosmology, etc. -- and yet people think religious beliefs are an exception. I find that so ridiculous. I don't get it. Or maybe I do: is it that people are afraid to challenge beliefs they hold sacred? And yet all religions change with time....

HoldemDB9

A better question to ask the theists would be...

What are the odds that your religion is true? Id like to see some replies to that!

For me, whether or not God exists is 50/50. I don't know.

Freelancer7

The Price could be:

How many planets do you think there possibly is in the Universe to 1.
or
1 to how many planets in the Universe.

but then again best place to go would be a bookies.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I guess faith is a concept some folks just do not understand. I like the comparison to the branch Dravidian's. Let's run with that one. Now if I understand the illustration correctly, we should have challenged David Koresh because his beliefs should have been forbidden? Let me see if I track with this thinking. Not only should the branch Dravidian's not have been allowed to practice their religion, but most all religions could be dangerous or at least an obstacle to your vision of how the world should be?

Let's examine the cold hard facts. Under a Liberal government with Janet Reno as our attorney general, she felt that any group that had a doomsday doctrine or even stockpiled food or water for an apocalyptic possibility should be looked upon as dangerous and should be watched.

Am I off track here?

An inept government underestimated the branch davidians and found themselves pinned down with very little ammo left in a fire fight that could have been avoided simply by arresting him in the park where he ran every day. But no, the government had to show their bravado and make one monumental mistake after another.

Children where being molested. This is a terrible thing. After the government got through with them, they burned to death in a fire. Fantastic job Janet! She said she would accept responsibility, so my point stands. But it does not end there boys and girls. Now other misguided people exacted revenge 2 years later to the day. Oklahoma City gets blown up and even more innocent children die that day. David Koresh was wrong. Timothy McVeigh was very wrong, but the government is to blame for all the children dying. It was not their fault their parents where misguided. The government stepped in and challenged their religion and a bunch of innocent folks died.

We have another Liberal in office and now I hear people wanting to challenge religion again? We will send an inept government to attack the masses instead of arresting the people in charge.

You see, if you don't believe in politically correct agendas, (the religion of the day) you are a threat to progress and should be eliminated right? It seems to me I remember a German fellar who felt that way about jewish folks. Janet Reno did the exact same thing that he did. She burnt the branch davidians like the Jews not so many years ago. It all sounds like burning witches to me. I guess we where just challenging them in the name of progress.

This country was founded on religious freedoms and gun ownership. Now, anyone who thinks like the founding fathers should be challenged, right?

It sounds like history repeating it's self time and time again. Not too many study history so they are doomed to repeat it once more.

no_spoon

What was unique about the supposed Jesus' beliefs?

Logician, I made that comment to point out that we shouldn't get side-tracked in a thread on the odds that there is a God, into a discussion about whether it's OK to challenge people's religious beliefs (and that Christians, especially, should not object). This was in response to several posts in the thread that seemed to be dwelling on that.

You seem to be starting a new tangent on the idea that Christ's teachings were not original. Perhaps you should start such a thread since it is really too large a topic and would hijack the current thread if we got into it.

gnomon

I guess faith is a concept some folks just do not understand. I like the comparison to the branch Dravidian's. Let's run with that one. Now if I understand the illustration correctly, we should have challenged David Koresh because his beliefs should have been forbidden? Let me see if I track with this thinking. Not only should the branch Dravidian's not have been allowed to practice their religion, but most all religions could be dangerous or at least an obstacle to your vision of how the world should be?

Let's examine the cold hard facts. Under a Liberal government with Janet Reno as our attorney general, she felt that any group that had a doomsday doctrine or even stockpiled food or water for an apocalyptic possibility should be looked upon as dangerous and should be watched.

Am I off track here?

An inept government underestimated the branch davidians and found themselves pinned down with very little ammo left in a fire fight that could have been avoided simply by arresting him in the park where he ran every day. But no, the government had to show their bravado and make one monumental mistake after another.

Children where being molested. This is a terrible thing. After the government got through with them, they burned to death in a fire. Fantastic job Janet! She said she would accept responsibility, so my point stands. But it does not end there boys and girls. Now other misguided people exacted revenge 2 years later to the day. Oklahoma City gets blown up and even more innocent children die that day. David Koresh was wrong. Timothy McVeigh was very wrong, but the government is to blame for all the children dying. It was not their fault their parents where misguided. The government stepped in and challenged their religion and a bunch of innocent folks died.

We have another Liberal in office and now I hear people wanting to challenge religion again? We will send an inept government to attack the masses instead of arresting the people in charge.

You see, if you don't believe in politically correct agendas, (the religion of the day) you are a threat to progress and should be eliminated right? It seems to me I remember a German fellar who felt that way about jewish folks. Janet Reno did the exact same thing that he did. She burnt the branch davidians like the Jews not so many years ago. It all sounds like burning witches to me. I guess we where just challenging them in the name of progress.

This country was founded on religious freedoms and gun ownership. Now, anyone who thinks like the founding fathers should be challenged, right?

It sounds like history repeating it's self time and time again. Not too many study history so they are doomed to repeat it once more.

Fallacious reasoning.

The statement is that you and we should challenge beliefs.

The argument you presented is that the government should use military intervention against groups they dislike.

Two completely separate concepts.

Here is a better analogy.

Many people believe that MMR vaccines are a cause of autism. There are not any reliable scientific studies stating that MMR vaccines are a cause of autism. The original study released making such a link has since been discredited on procedural issues. Never the less, people still believe that the link exists and act on that belief.

To counter that there are groups formed to educate people about the science behind the studies and push for more qualitative studies to understand the rise in the number of children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder.

Rather than sit silent while certain celebrities continue to push the belief that MMR vaccines are a cause of autism they are challenging those beliefs.

There is also the belief that marijuana is a gateway drug. Religious scholars challenge beliefs every day and that is why we have such subjects as the Documentary Hypothesis.

Are you off track?

You never made it on the track.

Demanding respect for religious beliefs because they are religious beliefs is perhaps the most politically correct and asinine demand that can be made.

Anyway, for the Branch Davidians. The failure there was within the organizational structure of the government, Janet Reno and the inability to follow procedures to keep from endangering the lives of innocent people. An investigation was started by a courier service noticing a shipment of firearms and child protective services over allegations of child abuse. You are condemning that? They should be left alone over such allegations?

Don't confuse the bungling manner of Reno and the Justice Department with the concept that they were solely targeted for their religious beliefs. Logic doesn't work that way.

Funny that you decided not to use the investigations against the Bhagwan and Osho and their attempts to poison a whole town. Guess they should have just been left alone, huh? After all, ultimate respect of faith and all that nonsense.

zandorit

If you were asked to describe your belief or disbelief in god in terms of odds, what odds would you ascribe to the possibility that god exists? One out of ten? Two out of ten? Something else?

Why did you estimate the odds as you did?

==
This I hear all the time, especially as explained like "Well we are here so something had to create us."
No!
The key to answering this question is you cannot throw numbers or percentages on something that does not exist to begin with. If I do not have an apple or an orange in one of my hands I cannot throw numbers at the likeliness of having an apple or an orange/
It is not there to throw numbers at :bow:
Cute forum btw. Nice work.....oh and I have no hard feelings against believers in "God." It's my firm knowledge people who believe this way have been threatened with lies. Now that exists....
Kindest regards,
zandorit

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If you were asked to describe your belief or disbelief in god in terms of odds, what odds would you ascribe to the possibility that god exists? One out of ten? Two out of ten? Something else?

I'm not particular towards odds. Easily refutable in terms of initial probability. Rather I approach this question as a wait and see if anything manifests in any particular manner.

I guess then it could be put out as fifty/fifty in that if anything happens, it happens.
If it doesn't, it doesn't.
So far it stays the latter for me.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

I would say 1/10 sounds fair. There is very little evidence for a god existing (and 99% of the "evidence" is anecdotal), but the fact that certain cosmological constants have values within a very sensitive range lends the tiniest bit of credence to the idea that some sort of being may have made it that way. Granted, it's FAR, FAR more likely that there's a prosaic explanation -- maybe I should clarify that 1/100 might be a fairer figure than 1/10 -- but I'm just honestly noting that it "might" be possible.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'd like to update my original statement.

The odds of a God wholly external to the Universe are very low, due to the lack of expected evidence.

But, of course, there are different God-concepts, and I feel that the concept of Brahman, as the aggregate of all existence, is the most likely. (Though I'm still trying Brahman out despite the Scriptures saying it can't be done. lol)

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
Since there is no evidence that God exists the idea of God will have to compete against every other contradicting unproven possibility. The idea of God has to also compete with proven possibilities. Because of this the probability that a Judeo-Christian God exists is about 1 in 2,385,223,456,674,278,146.45332 if my calculations are right.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Since there is no evidence that God exists the idea of God will have to compete against every other contradicting unproven possibility. The idea of God has to also compete with proven possibilities. Because of this the probability that a Judeo-Christian God exists is about 1 in 2,385,223,456,674,278,146.45332 if my calculations are right.

Where did you get such a precise number?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nice thread resurrection.

Anyway, there can be no valid odds for the existence of gods. There's nothing mathematical to use to calculate it.

Based on observation, reason, intuition, and so forth, I'd say that the chances that any specific god concept like Apollo, Yahweh, Odin, Jesus, Allah, or Jupiter or whatever is virtually zero to the point where it can be represented as zero.

If god is defined as some sort of vague consciousness at the heart of the universe or multiverse or whatever it is, then although odds still cannot be assigned I'd give the odds a still low, albeit larger percentage.