• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the functions of consciousness?

What are the functions of consciousness? This my seem like a easy question on the surface. I am not looking for the typical answer that is something like judgment, perception and the like. I do know that the will is one of the functions of consciousness. I am not talking about will as most people know it. As in I want something. I am talking about the will that can makes your cells divide makes your heart pump and so on. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Do you mean faculties? (I'm guessing 'no'.) Faculties are what beings, in being conscious, are able to do, things like learning, understanding, imagining, communicating, and (yes) judgment.

I'm not sure what is meant by will that makes cells divide. I imagine will as "self, in motion."

Do you mean faculties? (I'm guessing 'no'.) Faculties are what beings, in being conscious, are able to do, things like learning, understanding, imagining, communicating, and (yes) judgment.
I am not 100% sure on this but this is kind of the way I am learning it from the masters. I'm not specifically referring to faculties here though the will can work through the faculties. I view it more as pseudo-will than genuine will. Most of the pseudo-will is from our ego self. Which is not real.
Lets face it everything is conscious to some degree or another. Where does someone draw the line between there frontal lobes (which is the main consciousness center) and the rest of the brain to the body. We can feel our body and even develop a greater awareness of it. You can even raise kundalini consciousness up the spine if you wanted to. If we are what we eat then that implies that everything to some degree or another is conscious. Our food shapes our brain activity and even size. This fullness of consciousness is not perceived by the natural man that looks at everything from the outside. With practice though, bringing the attention on the inside everyone can experience this oneness of consciousness.
------

Back to your second question.
I'm not sure what is meant by will that makes cells divide. I imagine will as "self, in motion."
Let's look at what one of the masters Hazrat Inayat Khan wrote on this subject.

WILLPOWER

When the mind inquires into the nature of willpower, it becomes a question whether it is a power of the mind, a power of
thought, or a power of the brain. Those who cannot see beyond the power of the brain, call it brainpower; those who cannot
see beyond the mind, call it a power of the mind. Those who cannot conceive of the existence in man of anything above the
feelings, consider willpower to be a power of feeling. A Sufi understands it to be the divine power.

It is the Divine Will that is manifested throughout the whole universe, which has created the whole universe; and it is part of the
divine will that manifests itself through us. Everything we do in life is governed and directed by that power. Were it not that
there is but one power to govern and direct, how would it have been if one foot determined to go the North, and the other to
the South? Our two eyes might have turned in opposite directions, one to the West, the other to the East, had there not been
one willpower behind them to direct their gaze towards one object. When lifting a certain thing, one hand might have gone up
and the other down, had there not been one willpower to govern both, and cause them to join in the one movement. This
shows that each individual has one willpower, which governs several organs of our physical existence as well as our thoughts
and imaginations; all are directed consciously or unconsciously by the one power. We could not have accomplished one single
thing in life had willpower not been at work.
------------------

And again he says Hazrat Inayat Khan says:

Will is not a power; it is all the power there is.

The creation of the world is an act of will by God. Therefore that in us which we call will power is in reality God-Power. When this power is recognized and affirmed, it increases in potential and strength.

All that we do in life is the result of an active will-power. Our hands with their perfect mechanism, would not be able to even hold a glass of water if there was no will power to support them.

A person may seem to be healthy, but if will power fails him, he will not be able to stand, for it is not the body which makes us stand upright, it is our will-power.

Success and failure are the phenomena of will power.

The influence of will power over the mind is more significant than over the body. A man cannot hold a certain thought even for a moment if there is no strength of will to hold it. If a person cannot concentrate or hold a thought still, it means that will power has failed him.

What is will power made of?

In metaphysical terms will power is love. If one says God is Love, it really means God is Will. God loved creation only after He came to Will its creation.
------------

Now I guess you can call picking up a cup of water will power but again to me it seems most of the will power involved in doing even that is the will of God working through you. Or ego involved in someway or another.

Before getting to function I think the term needs to be tied down. How do you define it?
What I mean by function, I mean it's fundamental capabilities. Not Pseudo-capabilities.

As evidence of the Pseudo nature of the will, mind, and consciousness look here. The teaching of enlightenment.
The tragedy of the human is that he is not a being at all, but a chaotic flux of subconscious thought. Only by giving birth to pure awareness can one awaken from this painful and fragmented state and enter the stream of conscious evolution.

For more on that Google anaditeaching teachinginner1.htm

Any other thoughts on the functions of consciousness/awareness. I think believing without doubting is another one. Jesus talked about that a lot. I am not talking about believing as in most people do in a deluded state of mind. I mean believing in a purifying sense where one can come to God and purify the mind doing something like japa and receive what one is believing for. This can only be done by faith. Faith means believing in. Though I am not sure how much will plays into believing. I'm sure it does to a good extant.
Anyone with other thoughts. I'm/were on to something big.

Skwim

Veteran Member
What are the functions of consciousness? This my seem like a easy question on the surface. I am not looking for the typical answer that is something like judgment, perception and the like. I do know that the will is one of the functions of consciousness. I am not talking about will as most people know it. As in I want something. I am talking about the will that can makes your cells divide makes your heart pump and so on. Any thoughts on this anyone?
I wasn't aware there was some conscious entity that willed one's cells to divide and make the heart pump. Exactly who or what is this agent making these decisions?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I just couldn't understand the part of cells dividing having something to do with consciousness. I have read your reply to Willamena, with all the quotes, and i can't help but wonder how have you made the leap between willpower of human beings and cell division.

Last edited:
I just couldn't understand the part of cells dividing having something to do with consciousness. I have read your reply to Willamena, with all the quotes, and i can't help but wonder how have you made the leap between willpower of human beings and cell division.

When you think of will power you think of it form the view point of the mind. That is trained to view the world and will power from the view of the mind and not of consciousness or awareness. (which is who you really are) If you become unidentified with the mind you can see this. You are not your mind in other words. You are the consciousness or awareness that is enslaved to the mind. Once you view your mind from the transcended or unidentified state you see what real will power really is.

If you google anaditeaching /teachinginner4.htm you will see more on how to do this.

I wasn't aware there was some conscious entity that willed one's cells to divide and make the heart pump. Exactly who or what is this agent making these decisions?

That agent is God. Just as God willed the universe into existence. God also is willing your body to function and hold together.

As I believe all the masters and sages have said that the will of God is carried out in nature. So the same force or will that causes the creation and evolution of the world also willed cells to divide and the heart to pump and and other functions of creation. That is why Hazrat Inayat Khan says: The creation of the world is an act of will by God.

In my talks with David W Thomas a metaphysics expert (a least in my opinion) and author of "Secrets of the Aether" he said:
"The will is much deeper than anything you can possibly think. The will is what makes you breath, makes your heart pump, causes cells to reproduce, makes molecules interact with other molecules, causes atoms to maintain their existence, and creates the space in which all matter exists. The will is working at all levels of reality from the first cause to the most complex life forms and beyond. There is no place the will is not. There is no time in which will does not exist. Will is the cause of space and time and all that fills it."

I am not 100% sure on this but this is kind of the way I am learning it from the masters. I'm not specifically referring to faculties here though the will can work through the faculties. I view it more as pseudo-will than genuine will. Most of the pseudo-will is from our ego self. Which is not real.
Lets face it everything is conscious to some degree or another. Where does someone draw the line between there frontal lobes (which is the main consciousness center) and the rest of the brain to the body. We can feel our body and even develop a greater awareness of it. You can even raise kundalini consciousness up the spine if you wanted to. If we are what we eat then that implies that everything to some degree or another is conscious. Our food shapes our brain activity and even size. This fullness of consciousness is not perceived by the natural man that looks at everything from the outside. With practice though, bringing the attention on the inside everyone can experience this oneness of consciousness.
------

Back to your second question.

Let's look at what one of the masters Hazrat Inayat Khan wrote on this subject.

WILLPOWER

When the mind inquires into the nature of willpower, it becomes a question whether it is a power of the mind, a power of
thought, or a power of the brain. Those who cannot see beyond the power of the brain, call it brainpower; those who cannot
see beyond the mind, call it a power of the mind. Those who cannot conceive of the existence in man of anything above the
feelings, consider willpower to be a power of feeling. A Sufi understands it to be the divine power.

It is the Divine Will that is manifested throughout the whole universe, which has created the whole universe; and it is part of the
divine will that manifests itself through us. Everything we do in life is governed and directed by that power. Were it not that
there is but one power to govern and direct, how would it have been if one foot determined to go the North, and the other to
the South? Our two eyes might have turned in opposite directions, one to the West, the other to the East, had there not been
one willpower behind them to direct their gaze towards one object. When lifting a certain thing, one hand might have gone up
and the other down, had there not been one willpower to govern both, and cause them to join in the one movement. This
shows that each individual has one willpower, which governs several organs of our physical existence as well as our thoughts
and imaginations; all are directed consciously or unconsciously by the one power. We could not have accomplished one single
thing in life had willpower not been at work.
------------------

And again he says Hazrat Inayat Khan says:

Will is not a power; it is all the power there is.

The creation of the world is an act of will by God. Therefore that in us which we call will power is in reality God-Power. When this power is recognized and affirmed, it increases in potential and strength.

All that we do in life is the result of an active will-power. Our hands with their perfect mechanism, would not be able to even hold a glass of water if there was no will power to support them.

A person may seem to be healthy, but if will power fails him, he will not be able to stand, for it is not the body which makes us stand upright, it is our will-power.

Success and failure are the phenomena of will power.

The influence of will power over the mind is more significant than over the body. A man cannot hold a certain thought even for a moment if there is no strength of will to hold it. If a person cannot concentrate or hold a thought still, it means that will power has failed him.

What is will power made of?

In metaphysical terms will power is love. If one says God is Love, it really means God is Will. God loved creation only after He came to Will its creation.
------------

Now I guess you can call picking up a cup of water will power but again to me it seems most of the will power involved in doing even that is the will of God working through you. Or ego involved in someway or another.

What I mean by function, I mean it's fundamental capabilities. Not Pseudo-capabilities.

As evidence of the Pseudo nature of the will, mind, and consciousness look here. The teaching of enlightenment.
The tragedy of the human is that he is not a being at all, but a chaotic flux of subconscious thought. Only by giving birth to pure awareness can one awaken from this painful and fragmented state and enter the stream of conscious evolution.

For more on that Google anaditeaching teachinginner1.htm

Any other thoughts on the functions of consciousness/awareness. I think believing without doubting is another one. Jesus talked about that a lot. I am not talking about believing as in most people do in a deluded state of mind. I mean believing in a purifying sense where one can come to God and purify the mind doing something like japa and receive what one is believing for. This can only be done by faith. Faith means believing in. Though I am not sure how much will plays into believing. I'm sure it does to a good extant.
Anyone with other thoughts. I'm/were on to something big.
===================
well now ... i never tried the multiquote option
AND I DONT THINK I GOT IT DOWN...
ANYWAYS...

will mind consciousness stuff...
how about the bible sword thing...

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

and how about on consciousness ...
1Ti 3:8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;

Jas 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Jas 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!

Jas 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

Jas 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

Jas 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
Jas 3:3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
Jas 3:4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
Jas 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!

ALL RIGHTY AND THEN MORE TO CONSIDER HERE..
Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel; for it is the power of God unto life, to all who believe in it; whether first they are of the Jews, or whether they are of the Gentiles.
Rom 1:17 For in it is revealed the righteousness of God, from faith to faith; as it is written, The righteous by faith, shall live.
Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God from heaven is revealed against all the iniquity and wickedness of men, who hold the truth in iniquity.
Rom 1:19 Because a knowledge of God is manifest in them; for God hath manifested it in them.
Rom 1:20 For, from the foundations of the world, the occult things of God are seen, by the intellect, in the things he created, even his eternal power and divinity; so that they might be without excuse;
Rom 1:21 because they knew God, and did not glorify him and give thanks to him as God, but became vain in their imaginings, and their unwise heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22 And, while they thought within themselves that they were wise, they became fools.
Rom 1:23 And they changed the glory of the incorruptible God into a likeness to the image of a corruptible man, and into the likeness of birds and quadrupeds and reptiles on the earth.
Rom 1:24 For this cause, God gave them up to the filthy lusts of their heart, to dishonor their bodies with them.
Rom 1:25 And they changed the truth of God into a lie; and worshipped and served the created things, much more than the Creator of them, to whom belong glory and blessing, for ever and ever: Amen.
Rom 1:26 For this cause, God gave them up to vile passions: for their females changed the use of their natures, and employed that which is unnatural.
Rom 1:27 And so also their males forsook the use of females, which is natural, and burned with lust toward one another; and, male with male, they did what is shameful, and received in themselves the just recompense of their error.
Rom 1:28 And as they did not determine with themselves to know God, God gave them over to a vain mind; that they might do what they ought not,
CONT IN NEXT POST..

CONTINUATION OF MY PREVIOUS POST JUST BEFORE THIS

NOW TO TRY TO TIE SOME OF THIS TOGETHER...
FOR STARTERS
from romans above how
in verses 19 and 20 and 21
IT SPEAKS OF HOW THE ISSUE WAS THAT THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD WAS MANIFESTED IN MEN
BUT INSTEAD OF GLORIFYING GOD WITH THAT KNOWLEDGE NOR GIVE THANKS FOR IT THEY BECAME VAIN IN THEIR IMAGINATIONS[MIND ..CONSCIOUSNESS] AND THE HEART[SUBCONSCIOUS MIND]
BECAME DARKENED...
EVENTUALLY THEN IN VERSE 28 WHAT GOD DID TO MANKIND WAS TO GIVE THEM OVER TO A VAIN MIND ...
what many christians fail to see that this did not happen with adam of adam and eve...
what happened by way of adams sin
was that death passed to all humankind ..but not that they became sinners then....

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
WHEN IT SAYS ALL HAVE SINNED...I DO NOT THINK IT NECESSARILY MEAN THAT THEIR SIN STATE WAS AN EARLIER STATE
AND BECAUSE OF THIS SIN STATE DEATH WAS PASSED TO ALREADY EXISTING SINFUL HUMANITY...

then later in chapter 5 when it says..
(YLT) for as through the disobedience of the one man, the many were constituted sinners: so also through the obedience of the one, shall the many be constituted righteous.
THE GREEK WORD FOR CONSTITUTED DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THEY WERE MADE SINNERS AT THAT POINT
BUT IT CAN MEAN THAT THEIR ALREADY SIN NATURE CHANGED TO WHERE IT TOOK OVER AND RULED AND THE SINS NOW ABOUNDED IN THIS NEWLY CONSTITUTED STATE OF ALREADY EXISTING SIN
BUT LATER IT SAYS THAT THO NOW SIN ABOUNDED ..SOMETHING ELSE VERY IMPORTANT HAPPENED ... GRACE SUPERABOUNDED..
THUS U C
PERHAPS THE REASON TO HAVE SIN BECOME MORE OF A RULER IN HUMANITY WAS SO THAT THEY COULD BE MORE READILY CONVICTED OF THEIR SINS
WHICH COULD BRING REPENTANCE AND ACCESSING THE MORE SUPERABOUNDING PRESENCE OF GRACE..
HMM did i mention yet ..reincarnation as being part of biblical salvation :)

SO THEM MAYBE IN A KIND OF SUMMARY
the conscious decisions ... as evidence by the tongue in what one says...
reveals the kind of consciousness a person chooses....
and symbolically often in the bible ..man is symbolic of the active conscious mind ..thoughts ...deeds...
and woman of the resultant state of the heart i.e. subconscious mind
thus u c
woman is the weaker vessel
that is to say it is the conscious mind that determines whether one can know one's heart
and thus attune ...
Ecc 3:11 The whole He hath made beautiful in its season; also, that knowledge He hath put in their heart without which man findeth not out the work that God hath done from the beginning even unto the end.

and thus have heart and mind in agreement by way of acknowledging and submitting consciously to the superconscious principles of god the father....
as a child of god... 2nd part of the trinity...
and thus manifest a full and proper ordered by season nurturing of all life by way of spiritual patience and spiritual zeal...
and this manifestation of the will of god the father is HOLY SPIRIT aka god the mother...

and from that british comedy 'ALLO 'ALLO
I SPEAK FOR ALL THE FRENCH RESISTANCE FORCES..
listen closely coz i am only saying this one time..:)
or more perhaps :p

IN YOUR FIRST POST HERE IT WAS SAID..
What are the functions of consciousness? What are the functions of consciousness? This my seem like a easy question on the surface. I am not looking for the typical answer that is something like judgment, perception and the like. I do know that the will is one of the functions of consciousness. I am not talking about will as most people know it. As in I want something. I am talking about the will that can makes your cells divide makes your heart pump and so on. Any thoughts on this anyone?

SUCH FUNCTIONS OF HEART I THINK ARE MORE THE DOMAIN OF THE SUBCONSCIOUS MIND
and the attunement of that comes thru
a conscious mind and consciousness
of the soul as being required to look into its past
as that is what god requires for one to be convicted of its sins
and repent and renewed in heart and mind...
so one need only be aware of what god is setting before one every day
in order to overcome one's past
and to be free of it
and gain full consciousness of the soul
where then in spiritual patience and zeal all things can work together for the good.....

SUCH FUNCTIONS OF HEART I THINK ARE MORE THE DOMAIN OF THE SUBCONSCIOUS MIND
and the attunement of that comes thru
a conscious mind and consciousness
of the soul as being required to look into its past
as that is what god requires for one to be convicted of its sins
and repent and renewed in heart and mind...
so one need only be aware of what god is setting before one every day
in order to overcome one's past
and to be free of it
and gain full consciousness of the soul
where then in spiritual patience and zeal all things can work together for the good.....
When most Christians think and talk about repentance they do it from a pseudo view or way. What you have mentioned above is fine but you have to really get in there and do the dirty work and purge the impurities of the mind. One of the best ways to do that is through japa and maybe meditation and karma yoga if your really busy. I know how most Christians are, they won't even look into the things I pointed out because that might compromise their faith. (I used to be one of those Christians) Such faith is not logical and unpractical. True faith must stand up and be put to the test and fire if it's foundation is to be purified. So many Christians have boxed their self into the Church dogma. They have to break free from it. If you ask me what my beliefs are. I believe every word that Jesus said. Jesus was a very smart he did not speak plainly to the common people. But spoke in parables. Do you know who the three wise men that came from the east were when Jesus was born? Do you know where Jesus was for most of his life? Jesus was called St. Issa by the people of the east. Google The Lost Years of Jesus, The Life of Saint Issa. Jesus was more more than we could have ever imagined.

Last edited:
I must also add that I believe the bible was inspired by God through man/prophets. Unfortunately I think a few times man did make some mistakes in interpreting what God said a few times in translating scripture too. At least the second part seems true with the KJV. For instance we know evolution is now factually proven to be true. It used to be questionable, well maybe or maybe not. Now these days, it's factual. We have all the hardcore evidence to prove evolution. (The funny thing is that science is not totally right either. The will of God is still bringing about intelligent evolution through the universe.)
In the end the bible is still a sacred, Holy book/books with it's own unique message.

Does anyone else have some thoughts on the functions of consciousness?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
When you think of will power you think of it form the view point of the mind. That is trained to view the world and will power from the view of the mind and not of consciousness or awareness. (which is who you really are) If you become unidentified with the mind you can see this. You are not your mind in other words. You are the consciousness or awareness that is enslaved to the mind. Once you view your mind from the transcended or unidentified state you see what real will power really is.

If you google anaditeaching /teachinginner4.htm you will see more on how to do this.

Define 'mind'.

Define 'mind'.
Mind: The first thing that comes to mind is thinking, judgment, analyzing with some room for consciousness. I know and realize that mind can't be without consciousness. The question is how much consciousness and what is the training of the consciousness eg being enlightened.

Let me point out that not all minds are equal. Some people are more conscious of their life or mind than others. So for instance the more conscious you are or the more intellect you have the better off you are and the less enslaved that person will be. These people usually at least have a good education.

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this. I am still learning. Any other thoughts.

AntEmpire

Quantum physics: the measurement problem.

An atom (thus all atoms and energy in the universe) is spread out over the entire universe until a conscious observe measures (or experiences) it.

Thus the universe requires intelligence in order to exist in a logical, dualist, fuctioning fashion.

AntEmpire

I am talking about the will that can makes your cells divide makes your heart pump and so on. Any thoughts on this anyone?

This is the unconscious mind. You don't have to think about your heart beating, or digestion in order to do it, it happens without the part of the brain that thinks to tell the body to.

And actually the same part of the brain, the part that we can't control, is DOING the act of consciousness. We are controlled by the part of the brain we can't control.

Let me know if i have to clarify that, its alittle late on the east coast. ahahah

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Mind: The first thing that comes to mind is thinking, judgment, analyzing with some room for consciousness. I know and realize that mind can't be without consciousness. The question is how much consciousness and what is the training of the consciousness eg being enlightened.

Let me point out that not all minds are equal. Some people are more conscious of their life or mind than others. So for instance the more conscious you are or the more intellect you have the better off you are and the less enslaved that person will be. These people usually at least have a good education.

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this. I am still learning. Any other thoughts.

The term 'mind' can be used to mean a lot of things, which is why i asked you to define it. I will quote wikipedia on this: "Mind is the aspect of intellect and consciousness experienced as combinations of thought, perception, memory, emotion, will, and imagination, including all unconscious cognitive processes."

As you can see, there isn't much room left for anything else in what we call consciousness, if we consider this definition of mind. And some dictionaries even consider consciousness as being equal to mind.

Anyway, if we separate the mind from the consciousness, it will become clear as to why the consciousness is a slave to the mind, because without the mind the consciousness is completely inert.

I don't know if it is accurate to say that that some people are more conscious than others. As it is impossible to evaluate the consciousness without considering the means by which it manifests. What you call a developed consciousness could very well be a developed mind.

And, i don't think we should worry too much about a strict definition for 'mind'. Each school of thought is likely to give a different one.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm really late posting on this again. I thought I already posted on it.

Anyway, if we separate the mind from the consciousness, it will become clear as to why the consciousness is a slave to the mind, because without the mind the consciousness is completely inert.
If you Google ("universe within" meditation) you will see that there is a whole universe within the body. Here is an example.
http://www.universal-tao.com/Greatest_Kan_and_Li.pdf

Also if you look here:http://www.yogaofmind.org/wp-content/5-hierarchy-graphic2.jpg You can see that the self or Atman is independent from the mind. Through yoga one can attain independence from the body and mind. I think the mind is limited in what it can do and perceive from the Atman. Mainly if one becomes skilled in yoga or taoism or something like that.

I don't know if it is accurate to say that that some people are more conscious than others. As it is impossible to evaluate the consciousness without considering the means by which it manifests. What you call a developed consciousness could very well be a developed mind.
Yes I can agree that if one develops the mind that they could be more conscious. And vise versa.

I think everyone can agree that there are different levels of consciousness. Let me give an example. Someone takes entheogens. They are suddenly more conscious of many things that they were just not conscious of moments ago . One does not even need entheogens one just needs to "wake up" through yoga, taoism, or real meditation. Just as someone can develop body awareness, one can develop more mind awareness. Kundalini is a good example of one raising consciousness from the bottom of the spine and gaining body awareness.

And, i don't think we should worry too much about a strict definition for 'mind'. Each school of thought is likely to give a different one.
I agree.

BTW good thread I think.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Are you referring to base awareness, bio-chemical processes, or the cognitive processes that arises to which we identify and attempt to describe this?