• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the functions of consciousness?

Thus the universe requires intelligence in order to exist in a logical, dualist, fuctioning fashion.
I agree. At the root of it is consciousness though.

This is the unconscious mind. You don't have to think about your heart beating, or digestion in order to do it, it happens without the part of the brain that thinks to tell the body to.
Lets just try to stay on the original question. If we can answer that I think we can answer to your statement.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
To experience. I equate consciousness with that which is able to experience.

atanu

Premium Member
Anything the natural man experiences is a pseudo because the body and mind are like chains to are all powerful awareness or Atman under it. The only way to fix this is to practice taoism or yoga or something like that.

Whether any experience was pseudo or not, the expression: I equate consciousness with that which is able to experience, is the crispest definition of atman itself.

Last edited:

The Wizard

I guess counsciousness is a huge subject. But, how about simply the ability to be self-aware and take control, instead of automatically obeying or reacting to outer stimulus- with no choice or self-awareness reflection- like the animals. What is the Atman?

This is the unconscious mind. You don't have to think about your heart beating, or digestion in order to do it, it happens without the part of the brain that thinks to tell the body to.
I think we actually already answered this question. The answer is God. By God I mean Brahman.

One of the functions of consciousness seems to be to delude itself. :yes:
I agree it's called desire. Mainly desire that has attachment. Aspiration is a kind of desire that is healthy though. Aspiration should be the cultivated desire.

Which may be exactly what it's supposed to be doing.
For some people yes and some no.

Trying to fix something that may not be broken is a good way to break something.
Can you explain.

But, how about simply the ability to be self-aware and take control, instead of automatically obeying or reacting to outer stimulus- with no choice or self-awareness reflection- like the animals.
This is obviously the best option for the deluded mind for the time being. But ultimately it is a temporary pseudo state in the cosmic cycle. This begs the question. Are you talking about taking control with the true consciousness (Atman) or subservient consciousness?

What is the Atman?
1. The spiritual life principle of the universe, esp. when regarded as inherent in the real self of the individual

2. A person's soul

I would personally define Atman as the true self. Many do not know that there is a part of us that is a subservient conscious and it has a mirror like effect. This is deceiving to be identified with or put your trust into a consciousness that can not perform what the Atman can do. So It's part of us but it is subservient to the true Atman. When we desire things we give our power away. This is where learning to act without an doer comes in play. This is impossible to learn without first transcending the lower nature I think.

This all brings me to the question. What are the functions of the Atman.

I think I found something that will help. Who we are. That is Satchidananda which is. Existence, Knowledge and Bliss. Once you are closer to these things you are closer to who you really are.

Last edited:

The Wizard

This is obviously the best option for the deluded mind for the time being. But ultimately it is a temporary pseudo state in the cosmic cycle. This begs the question. Are you talking about taking control with the true consciousness (Atman) or subservient consciousness?.

I see,.. there must be a few things refferred to as consciousness. I was refferring to that held by mankind and not the other one. The evolutionary jump from being more introspective, conceptual, reflective and self-aware, though being able to take control and think/decide instead of just unconcsiously reacting from natures automatic signals- like the animals or primitive caveman... IMO.

1. The spiritual life principle of the universe, esp. when regarded as inherent in the real self of the individual

2. A person's soul

I would personally define Atman as the true self. Many do not know that there is a part of us that is a subservient conscious and it has a mirror like effect. This is deceiving to be identified with or put your trust into a consciousness that can not perform what the Atman can do. So It's part of us but it is subservient to the true Atman. When we desire things we give our power away. This is where learning to act without an doer comes in play. This is impossible to learn without first transcending the lower nature I think.

This all brings me to the question. What are the functions of the Atman.

I think I found something that will help. Who we are. That is Satchidananda which is. Existence, Knowledge and Bliss. Once you are closer to these things you are closer to who you really are.

Interesting and thanks for the information.. I would have to read more about it to comment any further regarding Atman and whatnots. But, I do agree about desire and want if it becomes a habitual thinking compulsion. People don't get it I guess. They push away what they desire and get what they don't want because of the very terms of the words. Desiring something and wanting something affirms that you don't have it and must get it. That affirmation mind state just causes the pattern to repeat itself and thus, leading to the exact opposite of what someone expects. Desire does cause suffering and lack. Because everyone is stating that they don't "have" whatever it may be and that is what will happen more often, naturally. The path to "having" and "recieving" is to have and recieve it in the inner or mental world first and then the outer world denser reflection will start corrisponding to it in this here material or physical experience. Well, thats at least how I've interpreted it for myself and have validated time time and again... IMO.

The path to "having" and "recieving" is to have and recieve it in the inner or mental world first and then the outer world denser reflection will start corrisponding to it in this here material or physical experience.
Wow, yeah I have not thought about it like that but that does make sense.
As I find out more things on consciousness and Atman I will post them.

An expert i am not
I'm not sure you got my answer. Anyway I answered your main question on page 3. Here it is again.

I think we actually already answered this question. The answer is God. By God I mean Brahman.

Vichar

I am not an expert, but I do have some ideas on the subject. There is an entire branch of psychology that implies consciousness is a by-product of the human (physical) mind.

I don't happen to subscribe to this belief. In my opinion, the first truth (and the only one that you can reliably believe in) is consciousness itself. That is to say, you are having an experience, and that is all that you can rely upon.

Am I the only conscious being in existence, and everything else is a projection of my consciousness?

If there is a macrocosm (some part of the universe separate from myself), what is its nature?

I suppose we can think of all kinds of variants of these questions, but here's what I believe:

The first principle is soul (consciousness is a soul trait). We have been conditioned to the human experience so we believe only humans are aware. In reality, our soul has been stuffed into an uncomfortable, human-shaped sock that limits our mental / physical/ emotional range of conscious experience. But consciousness itself is so much more.

(these are my opinions, and yes they were taught to me as well as being somewhat self-evident)

Spirit, soul, is a unit of awareness. It is present in everything, from rocks to plants to trees and, yeah, molecules of air. So in that sense cells dividing and heart pumping are a function of consciousness. Whose consciousness? Well, if you believe as I do, there are governing forces (not human) that take care of these autonomic functions. Humans are just one aspect of creation, one that we happen to be experiencing right now. But soul is eternal, and we have gone through many different types of being. I believe all of the macrocosm is composed of spirit, vibrating at different frequencies, taking form when it is vibrating slowly enough to coalesce into coarse things like thought or emotions, or slower and coarser yet--physical matter. I believe that when freed from manifestation, in its pure form spirit (soul) experiences a much, much, much higher awareness, so much so that it is qualitatively different than our current human experience.

Eastern traditions give the governing forces of the body names, like Ganesh etc. Rather than delve into all the metaphysical stuff, I'll just end on this note: consciousness is so much more than our current human experience, and the journey of self-discovery is the next step in this never-ending adventure that soul is undertaking.

EDIT: I'm not sure what the ultimate function of consciousness is, but at this current stage humans are having the experience they are having to purify and refine our awareness, to teach us simple things like cause and effect, personal responsibility, and the nature of love and truth.

Last edited: