• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the Evolutionary Advantages of Self-Awareness?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What are the evolutionary advantages of self-awareness?

Apparently, most animals do not possess self-awareness, but some do. Dolphins, elephants, the great apes, (including humans), some species of crow, among other animals, show evidence of self-awareness. But how did self-awareness evolve as a genetically inheritable trait? Were the same selective pressures at work in the evolution of self-awareness in every species that possesses it, or were there cases of parallel evolution? And why is the universe's most self-aware creature a 17 year-old boy being interviewed by the father of the girl he is about to go on a first date with?

EDIT: Before this gets out of hand, it should be understood that the sort of self-awareness I am referring to would involve such tasks as successfully identifying oneself in a mirror.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
most animals do not possess self-awareness

Source?

Random search:

"...there are three types of self-awareness in animals; the first being, bodily self-awareness. This sense of awareness allows animals to understand that they are different from the rest of the environment; it is also the reason why animals do not eat themselves. Bodily-awareness also includes proprioception and sensation. The second type of self-awareness in animals is social self-awareness. This type of awareness is seen in highly social animals and is the awareness that they have a role within themselves in order to survive. This type of awareness allows animals to interact with each other. The final type of self-awareness is introspective awareness. This awareness is responsible for animals to understand feelings, desires, and beliefs."

-Good ole wiki.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Source?

Random search:

"...there are three types of self-awareness in animals; the first being, bodily self-awareness. This sense of awareness allows animals to understand that they are different from the rest of the environment; it is also the reason why animals do not eat themselves. Bodily-awareness also includes proprioception and sensation. The second type of self-awareness in animals is social self-awareness. This type of awareness is seen in highly social animals and is the awareness that they have a role within themselves in order to survive. This type of awareness allows animals to interact with each other. The final type of self-awareness is introspective awareness. This awareness is responsible for animals to understand feelings, desires, and beliefs."

-Good ole wiki.

With form of self-awareness do you think I am referring to?

And do you seriously believe I blindly follow Wiki?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see self-awareness as black and white. While I don't have the time at the moment to pull up individual studies, If I recall correctly, there are several levels of gray between self-awareness as described in the OP (such as the ability to recognize one's self in the mirror) and complete ignorance of self.

I think it's more of an evolutionary process and that different species are at different points in their evolution of self-awareness.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I don't see self-awareness as black and white. While I don't have the time at the moment to pull up individual studies, If I recall correctly, there are several levels of gray between self-awareness as described in the OP (such as the ability to recognize one's self in the mirror) and complete ignorance of self.

I think it's more of an evolutionary process and that different species are at different points in their evolution of self-awareness.
I agree. ( These days, I fail the mirror test :oops: )

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I've edited the OP to clarify the kind of self-awareness I am referring to.

HonestJoe

A singular characteristic doesn't have to have an evolutionary advantage itself to exist. It could be a side-effect or underlying basis for characteristics which do.

I'd suggest imaginative intelligence is a key factor in human evolutionary development, the ability to think of complex abstract ideas or possibilities, and self-awareness would be an inevitable/necessary element of that.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Effective differentiation provides an enormous evolutionary advantage. Self-awareness is the highly evolved narrative (myth?) that orders the results of cognition.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Apparently, most animals do not possess self-awareness, but some do. Dolphins, elephants, the great apes, (including humans), some species of crow, among other animals, show evidence of self-awareness. But how did self-awareness evolve as a genetically inheritable trait? Were the same selective pressures at work in the evolution of self-awareness in every species that possesses it, or were there cases of parallel evolution? And why is the universe's most self-aware creature a 17 year-old boy being interviewed by the father of the girl he is about to go on a first date with?

EDIT: Before this gets out of hand, it should be understood that the sort of self-awareness I am referring to would involve such tasks as successfully identifying oneself in a mirror.

Self-awareness derives from the necessity to raise a child for 13 to 18 years, much longer than other animals. Such a commitment causes the human genome to produce a more competent, aware species, able to acknowledge their role, and responsibilities in child rearing for the success of the species.

...Or maybe not. Maybe consciousness came first, and our extraordinarily long child rearing process developed afterward.

Heyo

Veteran Member
A singular characteristic doesn't have to have an evolutionary advantage itself to exist. It could be a side-effect or underlying basis for characteristics which do.

I'd suggest imaginative intelligence is a key factor in human evolutionary development, the ability to think of complex abstract ideas or possibilities, and self-awareness would be an inevitable/necessary element of that.
I agree. To plan for the self in a better position, it is necessary to identify the self.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Human consciousness (which embraces self-awareness) evolved as a defense mechanism. That's obvious. Work it out for yourselves.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Consciousness (self-awareness) evolved as a defense mechanism. That's obvious.

But all animals can benefit from defense mechanisms, so we should have seen convergent evolution, yet we haven't to the extent of human consciousness. What we do see is an extraordinarily lengthy child rearing timeframe in humans.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Human consciousness (which embraces self-awareness) evolved as a defense mechanism. That's obvious. Work it out for yourselves.
The hungry lioness spun with lightning speed, sinking her teeth into the haunch of ...
oh crap ...
it was her haunch!
The me | not-me distinction is useful on any number of levels. The bird does not swerve to avoid its own wing.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Nice song. I wonder why our awareness goes so far beyond what we probably need to survive and procreate etc.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I don't think anyone can argue that human consciousness is not vastly greater than other animals.

976731ULHO33070.jpg

HK-2IFC-sj_cropped.jpg

cf5a0d4ecab2c0efc6ee65b05aeb172f.jpg

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

The mirror test is yet another example of Humans trying to prove they are better than other animals. Most animals see a mirror realize it is a reflection and ignore it. Humans interact with a mirror image of themselves, using it for entertainment, to beautify themselves and to increase there ego, I would think that animals that ignore the mirror are more self aware of life; whereas, animals that engage a mirror are more egotistic and less self aware but I'm not a scientist or trying to prove human superiority.