• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the differences between God and Jesus Christ?

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
Where are you getting these definitions from? For example, I've never heard father defined as someone who is the head.
That’s why you err in your interpretation of scriptures.

If you do not understand a simple concept as ‘Father’ being ‘The Head’, then how are you claiming to understand more complex scriptural things.

Even in humanity, a Father is HEAD of the family.

Thinknof other usages if the word ‘Head’ in regard to ‘Father’.

But you don’t disagree with the other definitions?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

If you do not understand a simple concept as ‘Father’ being ‘The Head’, then how are you claiming to understand more complex scriptural things.

We don't call the head of a department at work "father." So no, I don't see "father" as meaning "head."

I realize that in traditional Christianity the man is the head of the house. However, I consider this to be oppressive to women, and thankfully, outdated.

I'm still waiting for you to give your source for your definitions.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
While debating or even simply discussing or preaching, about our ONLY TRUE GOD and Jesus Christ, submissions always seem to highlight vast differences between the two while declaring that the two are EXACTLY ALIKE…

The term, ‘Image of God’ is used frequently to declare that Jesus Christ is God while denying that ‘Image of God’ as pertaining to mankind does not make mankind God.

It may also strike a cord with anyone if linguistic integrity that an image of something cannot be the thing it images… yet advocates of the ‘Jesus is image of God and is therefore God’ do not agree with this truth!

You know I am speaking of Trinitarians so let me say this also: Many occasions Jesus Christ is said to be EQUAL TO GOD by Trinitarians.

Can I ask how something can he EQUAL to something else and bd that something else at the same time (or even possibly be that other something anyway… this relates to the same as ‘Jesus is image of God and is God’ outlined above!)

Penultimately as an opener: How does Jesus Christ, as God, decide when he wants to be MAN and NOT GOD!?

Ultimately, If Jesus IS God, why does he get to he GRANTED the rulership over creation at the end of time … when in fact, as God, he would ALREADY BY RULER over the GREATER KINGDOM OF HEAVEN…. (Remember that Creation is only a room in the VAST MANSION that is Heaven:
  • “In my Father’s house there are many room. I go to prepare [one of these rooms] for you (the Elect)!”
Please try to stick to answering the questions **mod edit**.
One is 1. The other 1/3.

ciao

- viole

firedragon

Veteran Member

You are anthropomorphising God.

I believe in this matter, you should consult a Jew. They in my opinion are the best to advice you on this. I dont know who to name in this forum really but my honest opinion is you should consult a Jewish, slightly educated person. No disrespect intended, I say slightly educated person because most Jews are "highly educated" in their theology in general terms. "Slightly educated" in my mind would be almost a scholar.

Peace.

Edit: Maybe @RabbiO could assist. But this guy is always too busy. So if you are lucky, he will see this and respond.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
One of my favorite YouTube atheists, Pinecreek, likes to use thought experiments and unconventional ideas when he hosts Christians for discussions. He is very affable and calm, but he does dig down to core issues in interesting ways.

One of the things he does is describe events in the Old Testament but replaces the name "Yaweh" with "Jesus."

For exampe, "Jesus drowned all the children of the world in the great flood. Jesus was there, holding their heads under the water, as they struggled for breath, right?" and, "Jesus commanded that all the people and livestock of the town were to be killed, except for the young virgin girls who the Hebrew warriors could keep for themselves. Yes?"

It's remarkable to watch the Christians squirm when he does this simple transposition. Even as they insistently deny it, it is clear that they see Yaweh and Jesus as having distinctly different personalities, both from this response and from the fact that their traditional description of Jesus is completely at odds with how Yaweh's personality is described in the bible. It's one of Christianity's many, many cognitive tensions and logical contradictions.
What a fundamentally flawed experiment. To conflate two different characters from two different cultures, conflating both the literary and theological paradigms of each, and incorrectly insisting that those characters are “the same thing.” It’s disingenuous. It’s a straw man. It may be “entertaining,” but it gets us nowhere near the truth.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
That is your entirely subjective exegetical opinion.
There is no such thing as a god-man, even a child knows this. Therefore, your subjective exegesis, corrupted by eisegesis, bears no substantiation to the truth.
John's prologue is explaining that Christ was not afterthought, despite entering history 4,000 years after Adam. The Garden of Eden, Abrahamic and Mosaic covenants were not God's initial Word, despite preceding all other covenants of fellowship.
Although Jesus was created around 6-4BC, he was the first-born of creation, and of the dead, the catalyst behind all creation, and King of Kings and Lord of Lords. John is expressing the fact that Jesus' mystery is in his chronology, not his ontology.
Actually, it’s not the case that this is my subjective opinion born of Eisegesis. It comes from study of two scholarly commentaries and consulting the TDNT.

It may be the case that the mystery is in the chronology, but the mystery is also in the ontology, since the text makes plain that Jesus is of the essence of God. In fact, his ontology as the essence of God is how he church understands the “Emmanuel” of Isaiah. The various Gospels bear this out in several parables and other pericopes.

DNB

Christian
Actually, it’s not the case that this is my subjective opinion born of Eisegesis. It comes from study of two scholarly commentaries and consulting the TDNT.

It may be the case that the mystery is in the chronology, but the mystery is also in the ontology, since the text makes plain that Jesus is of the essence of God. In fact, his ontology as the essence of God is how he church understands the “Emmanuel” of Isaiah. The various Gospels bear this out in several parables and other pericopes.
Your whole defense is full of subjective opinions. Two commentaries give you credibility??? I can't believe that you even felt that such a claim held any water - It's meaningless, who were the authors, why do they have opinions of impunity?

And then, your interpretation of Emmanuel - that shows nothing but a bias and presupposition. Emmanuel is a theophoric use of someone's name. Theophory is used throughout the Bible, which, i would guess that you know that much. Since when did it ever denote God's essence within the person, to whom the theophoric name was applied? Never!

Daniel: "God is my judge" or "justice from God"
Elijah: "my God is YHWH"
Elisha: "my God is salvation"
Elizabeth: "my God is an oath" or "my God is abundance"
Immanuel: "God is with us"
Ezekiel: "God will strengthen"
Gabriel: "God is my strength"
Ishmael: "God listens"
Israel: "who struggles with God"
Michael: "Who is like God?"
Nathaniel: "God-given" or "gift of God"
Raphael: "God heals/God is great"
Samuel: "God heard"
Uriel: "God is my light"

Soapy

We don't call the head of a department at work "father." So no, I don't see "father" as meaning "head."

I realize that in traditional Christianity the man is the head of the house. However, I consider this to be oppressive to women, and thankfully, outdated.

I'm still waiting for you to give your source for your definitions.
What is the functional purpose of your Head of Department?

If I said that a Car is a Vehicle, I guess you would turn round and say that a Juggernaut is a vehicle but it’s not a Car!

Playing with words is not what I’m about!!….

Unfortunately for you, since the words used in the scriptures are of the date and times, YOU do not get the option of changing the definition to the woke society of today….!

Since we are discussing the SCRIPTURES, we need to use the definitions of the times in which the scriptures were written… and in that time… the FATHER was HEAD of the household.

• “And don’t address anyone here on earth as ‘Father,’ for only God in heaven is your Father. And don’t let anyone call you ‘Teacher,’ for you have only one teacher, the Messiah.” (Matthew 23:9-10)
  • Only the Father is God: ‘The One True God’
  • The messiah is not God.
  • The messiah is not the Father.

Soapy

So if I build a puppet like Pinocchio, I am the father of that puppet. An interesting story but not based on facts.
Yes, you are the FATHER of THAT Pinocchio puppet.

YOU created IT.

You animated it… (if you follow the story book).

You gave it LIFE.

Father, means: ‘He who brings into being that which was not already in being (existing); He who gives life; The Creator’

But, of course, Pinocchio has already been given life by the CREATOR of the story (Carlo Collodi) and, in the story, by the carpenter( Geppetto).

Why are you stressing the point…?

Last edited:

Soapy

Isn't that obvious?
God is Father+Son+Holy Spirit. Jesus=Son. Ergo, one is one third of the other (assuming all three entities have the same weight).

Ciao

- viole
Oh I love this:

You say that Jesus, the Son, is God…. Right?

And God is ‘Father, Son, and Holy Spirit’ … Right?

So Jesus, the Son, is ‘Father, Son, and Holy Spirit’ … (i.e. God) … Right?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Oh I love this:

You say that Jesus, the Son, is God…. Right?

And God is ‘Father, SON, and Holy Spirit’ … Right?

So Jesus, the Son, is ‘Father, Son, and Holy Spirit’ … (i.e. God) … Right?
Well, that is what most Christians believe. And I suppose your question was intended to them, since I do not believe for a second to your God's claims.

Ciao

- viole

Soapy

Well, that is what most Christians believe. And I suppose your question was intended to them, since I do not believe for a second to your God's claims.

Ciao

- viole
Oh, so you realise your nonsense then!

Good for you. There are millions of people calling themselves “Christians” who do not get it… or rather, they refuse to acknowledge their ideological error!

Excellent… You may not be ‘Christian’ but it is ones like you that can learn the truth faster than those who profess belief in a God they cannot agree a valid nor a cohesive nor a comprehensible definition of.

In fact, in their own words: “The TRINITY OF GOD IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE”.

But yet the scripture they purport to gain their knowledge from states that Jesus told the disciples:
  • “I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me.” (John 17:6-8)
These verses stats that Jesus REVEALED GOD, HIS GOD, HOS GOD AND FATHER to the disciples and proclaimed that EVERYTHING HE WAS ABLE TO DO… and EVERYTHING HE SAID, was FROM THE FATHER, from GOD.

And in case you are still confused: The strange ideologies you speak of ATE FROM A MAJOR GROUP OF SO-CALLED OF CHRISTIANS NAMING THEMSELVES ‘TRINITARIANS’.

Please do not confuse those who believe in the true Scriptures with these TRINITARIANS!

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Oh, so you realise your nonsense then!

Good for you. There are millions of people calling themselves “Christians” who do not get it… or rather, they refuse to acknowledge their ideological error!

Excellent… You may not be ‘Christian’ but it is ones like you that can learn the truth faster than those who profess belief in a God they cannot agree a valid nor a cohesive nor a comprehensible definition of.

In fact, in their own words: “The TRINITY OF GOD IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE”.

But yet the scripture they purport to gain their knowledge from states that Jesus told the disciples:
  • “I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me.” (John 17:6-8)
These verses stats that Jesus REVEALED GOD, HIS GOD, HOS GOD AND FATHER to the disciples and proclaimed that EVERYTHING HE WAS ABLE TO DO… and EVERYTHING HE SAID, was FROM THE FATHER, from GOD.

And in case you are still confused: The strange ideologies you speak of ATE FROM A MAJOR GROUP OF SO-CALLED OF CHRISTIANS NAMING THEMSELVES ‘TRINITARIANS’.

Please do not confuse those who believe in the true Scriptures with these TRINITARIANS!
Well, it is not my nonsense. It is what average Christians would answer to you.

In the same way an average astrologist would tell you how stars influence people destiny, when you challenge them.

From my vantage point you are arguing on different interptretations of nonsense. Like the sex of the angels.

Ciao

- viole

Soapy

Well, it is not my nonsense. It is what average Christians would answer to you.

In the same way an average astrologist would tell you how stars influence people destiny, when you challenge them.

From my vantage point you are arguing on different interptretations of nonsense. Like the sex of the angels.

Ciao

- viole
Why are you in a forum thread that is debating the differences in belief between BELIEVING individual?

For you, then, nothing that is said on either side of the debate makes any sense… right?

Well, I feel sorry for you that you are here trying to persuade two persons that nothing is true!?

Wouldn’t you be better debating your ideas in the Atheist section or the Agnostic section?

And, angels are not sexual agencies of a human kind because angels are Spirits… and Spirits do not PROCREATE.

I don’t know where or who you’ve been listening to but someone has greatly misled you and hence your scepticism ….!

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
What is the functional purpose of your Head of Department?
It doesn't matter. Heads of department at businesses are not fathers.
Thre was nothing in my post that argued that the Messiah was the father. I am a Jew, I don't even believe Jesus was the Messiah, much less God. Try to pay attention to what people actually say.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Why are you in a forum thread that is debating the differences in belief between BELIEVING individual?

For you, then, nothing that is said on either side of the debate makes any sense… right?

Well, I feel sorry for you that you are here trying to persuade two persons that nothing is true!?

Wouldn’t you be better debating your ideas in the Atheist section or the Agnostic section?

And, angels are not sexual agencies of a human kind because angels are Spirits… and Spirits do not PROCREATE.

I don’t know where or who you’ve been listening to but someone has greatly misled you and hence your scepticism ….!
Well, why don’t you post your question the Christian dir, then? Better, why don’t you ask God directly during your alleged personal relationships with Her?

ciao

- viole

Soapy

It doesn't matter. Heads of department at businesses are not fathers.
Thre was nothing in my post that argued that the Messiah was the father. I am a Jew, I don't even believe Jesus was the Messiah, much less God. Try to pay attention to what people actually say.
So you don’t know what your head of department does???