• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the Central Positive Messages you Learned from the Quran?

Sabour

It isnt always about what new things this book has to offer. It is about how it deploys and what emphasis it puts on them. For example patience is good and rewarding. But in Quraan, patience is one key towards heaven.

Giving charity is good. But quraan doesnt stop there. Zakat is also one pillars of Islam so all people who can give money should give money. If not through charity than through zakat.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Hi One_Answer,

For the sake of discussion, what if I granted you that the Quran was a great collection of the wisdom and morals and ethics people knew as of 1400 years ago.

For example, we now know that slavery is morally reprehensible. But it was okay in all the Abrahamic scripture. So should the "perfect, final, unalterable word of God" allow slavery just because it was the custom of the day? I don't think so. If you say that, I think you're insulting your own definition of Allah.

Why didn't Allah see fit to add a few new ideas into his perfect book?

Sabour

Hi One_Answer,

For the sake of discussion, what if I granted you that the Quran was a great collection of the wisdom and morals and ethics people knew as of 1400 years ago.

For example, we now know that slavery is morally reprehensible. But it was okay in all the Abrahamic scripture. So should the "perfect, final, unalterable word of God" allow slavery just because it was the custom of the day? I don't think so. If you say that, I think you're insulting your own definition of Allah.

Why didn't Allah see fit to add a few new ideas into his perfect book?

The first thing we must know that Islam didn’t create slavery. Slavery was already there. But why Islam didn’t stop slavery? Or did it?
Why slavery in such time? There are many reasons
1-* Both*financial and*social security. * When their country or tribe lost the war, they also lost most or all of their money as war booty.* Being out of money and food, it becomes necessary for an individual to find the means for basic survival in life.* Living as a slave would provide this.
2-* Protection from hostile individuals. * Even under the Islamic rule, you can still find hostile individuals who violate the Law and take matters into their own hands.* An enemy family can be sometime in danger if they don't have a "protector".
3-* Widows, Orphans, and the extremely poor*of the*enemy side need the financial and social protection from a Master.* Back then, there were no governments with good social system that protects everyone.* Slavery back then was that social system in special cases.
There are probably more points I can add, but I think these are sufficient enough

First of all let us look at a scenario where stopping slavery was done. It was done by Abraham Linclon. But did that solve the problem? I don’t think because there was still hate between both sides. Liclon didn’t deal with the problem; he dealt with the result of the problem. But I am not discrediting what he did at all.
The problem I was referring to was racism which resulted in slavery. What is he Islamic stand of racism?
First thing I want to say about the subject is that racism was the first sin committed when satan refused to bow to Adam ( or in front of him)when Allah ordered him to. It wasn’t the story of Eve telling Adam to eat from the tree.
Second, 49:13 O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted.
Also The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), during his Last Sermon in Minâ, said: “O people! Your Lord is one Lord, and you all share the same father. There is no preference for Arabs over non-Arabs, nor for non-Arabs over Arabs. Neither is their preference forwhite people*over*black people, nor for black people over white people. Preference is only through righteousness.” Then he said: “Have I conveyed the message?” and the people declared that he had. [Musnad Ahmad*(22391)]

Now let us look to how Islam dealt with the problem.
First, considering the treatment they were receiving, how did Islam approach this subject?
4:36 Worship Allah and associate nothing with Him, and to parents do good, and to relatives, orphans, the needy, the near neighbor, the neighbor farther away, the companion at your side, the traveler, and those whom your right hands possess. Indeed, Allah does not like those who are self-deluding and boastful.
76:5-9
5 Indeed, the righteous will drink from a cup [of wine] whose mixture is of Kafur, 6 A spring of which the [righteous] servants of Allah will drink; they will make it gush forth in force [and abundance].7 They [are those who] fulfill [their] vows and fear a Day whose evil will be widespread.8And they give food in spite of love for it to the needy, the orphan, and the captive,9[Saying], "We feed you only for the countenance of Allah . We wish not from you reward or gratitude.
Islam brought about a transformation in the situation. It taught that the slave was the brother of the master and that he had rights as well. The prophet commanded: “They are your brothers and relatives! Let each one provide for the brother under him with the food that he himself eats and with the clothes that he himself wears. Place not upon them any task that is overbearing for them. If you do assign them a difficult task, you must help them in its execution.” (Bukhari, Muslim)
Al-Bukhari reported that Abu Dharr and Bilal, the Abyssinian, both of whom were among the earliest Muslims, once quarreled and insulted each other. Carried away by his anger, Abu Dharr said to Bilal, "You son of a black woman!" Bilal complained about this to the Prophet (peace be on him), who turned to Abu Dharr, saying,*"Are you taunting him about his mother? There is still some influence of*jahiliyyah*in you!''*(Reported by al-Bukhari.)
(jahiliyyah means days of ignorance the arabs used to live)
Abu Dharr narrated that the Prophet (peace be on him) said to him,*"Look! You are no better than a white or black man unless you excel in the fear of Allah."
"Zadhan reported that Ibn Umar called his slave and he found the marks (of beating) upon his back. He said to him: I have caused you pain. He said: No. But he (Ibn Umar) said: You are free. He then took hold of something from the earth and said: There is no reward for me even to the weight equal to it. I heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying:*He who beats a slave without cognizable offence of his or*slaps him, then expiation for it is that he should set him free.***(Translation of Sahih Muslim, The Book of Oaths (Kitab Al-Aiman), Book 015, Number 4079)"
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying:*"When the slave of anyone amongst you prepares food for him and he serves him after having sat close to (and undergoing the hardship of) heat and smoke,he should make him (the slave) sit along with him and make him eat (along with him), and if the food seems to run short, then he should spare some portion for him (from his own share)*- (another narrator) Dawud said:" i. e. a morsel or two". 4097. **(Translation of Sahih Muslim, The Book of Oaths (Kitab Al-Aiman), Book 015, Number 4096)"

Second, Islam provided means and encouraged freeing slaves
9:60 Zakah expenditures are only for the poor and for the needy and for those employed to collect [zakah] and for bringing hearts together [for Islam] and for freeing captives [or slaves] and for those in debt and for the cause of Allah and for the [stranded] traveler - an obligation [imposed] by Allah . And Allah is Knowing and Wise.
There are numerous sayings of the prophet which encourage the freeing of slaves. “If anyone sets free a believing slave, each of his body parts will be set free from Hell so much so that it will be the hand for a hand, the leg for a right up to the sexual organ for the sexual organ.” (Bukhari, Muslim)

In addition, setting a captive free was something muslims must do in some cases
4:92And never is it for a believer to kill a believer except by mistake. And whoever kills a believer by mistake - then the freeing of a believing slave and a compensation payment presented to the deceased's family [is required] unless they give [up their right as] charity. But if the deceased was from a people at war with you and he was a believer - then [only] the freeing of a believing slave; and if he was from a people with whom you have a treaty - then a compensation payment presented to his family and the freeing of a believing slave. And whoever does not find [one or cannot afford to buy one] - then [instead], a fast for two months consecutively, [seeking] acceptance of repentance from Allah . And Allah is ever Knowing and Wise.
58:3 And those who pronounce thihar from their wives and then [wish to] go back on what they said - then [there must be] the freeing of a slave before they touch one another. That is what you are admonished thereby; and Allah is Acquainted with what you do.
5:89 Allah will not impose blame upon you for what is meaningless in your oaths, but He will impose blame upon you for [breaking] what you intended of oaths. So its expiation is the feeding of ten needy people from the average of that which you feed your [own] families or clothing them or the freeing of a slave. But whoever cannot find [or afford it] - then a fast of three days [is required]. That is the expiation for oaths when you have sworn. But guard your oaths. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be grateful.
90: 10-13
10 And have shown him the two ways? 11 But he has not broken through the difficult pass.12 And what can make you know what is [breaking through] the difficult pass? 13 It is the freeing of a slave 14 Or feeding on a day of severe hunger 15An orphan of near relationship 16 Or a needy person in misery

So let us get the whole picture now.
Islam approach is first to direct people how they must treat their slaves. It is as if they were brothers. So there will be no harsh feeling towards each other. Second, Islam has made it clear that setting a slave free is among the good deeds and sometimes a must do. So muslims were basically going to slave markets and buying slaves so that they would set them free. Instant buying, and instant freeing. Fourth, Islam only took war captives when the enemy is taking war captives only.

So Islam dealt with the problem slowly and wisely. Besides, has Islam set the slaves free all at once it would have not been fair to the masters. At that time, slaves was an assets. It was normal. In addition, freeing them after such a horrible treatment was in place wouldn’t be a good decision to take.

icehorse

Premium Member
One_Answer, I'm choosing to take your answers as sincere. One conclusion I can draw from this is that the history books you've read are EXTREMELY different than the ones I've read.

I'm encountering this problem in many conversations. If you are discussing a point with one set of "facts" and I'm discussing it with a different set of "facts", it won't matter how reasonable we both are - we won't make any progress.

So at this point it might be enough to acknowledge that your "facts" don't match mine.

I'm not banging on you, I'm bringing up a big problem. It's too bad because I'd like to learn more about your thinking on these matters.

I suppose one thing we could try (but I doubt it would work), would be to say "imagine history was like this, how would Islam work?" - probably too abstract.

icehorse

Premium Member
Hi Scimitar,

For everyone's sake, would you share an example of what you mean by "the comparative method"?

mahasn ebn sawresho

0ne-answer wrote
The first thing we must know that Islam didn’t create slavery. Slavery was already there. But why Islam didn’t stop slavery? Or did it?==========
======
my quasnintions
This is true social system of slavery in the ancient world
But we are talking about religion
Ring says he's religions
Wan Muhammad, the Seal of the prophets
And to complete his doomsday
So the religion of these specifications idealism
Why did not abolish slavery from the substance
If the Koran the word of God, why did not cancel this social system
So we get the result
The survival of the social system as it was originally This means that there is no new
What
State marry two, three, or four
But the second part of which
* And proprietary
This rule independently
It is not a legal marriage
Intended slain
And if you do not know Arabic I help you I'm in it

mahasn ebn sawresho

You are talking about Abraham Lincoln
Which prevent slaves
Here is a social reformer
Is Taatmknalmgarna between him and Mamedfa this field
Muhammad claimed prophethood and said it was from God
Is Lincoln knows the system better justice than God of Islam
Questions
I hope that the mind answer them

mahasn ebn sawresho

For the benefit of
* There is a book written by a Canadian Muslim writer
Named flaw in Islam
Is talking about the practice of enslaving her family when she was a slave in Africa
It is to renege this system because Islam to slavery Aaghei
Has worked by her family

mahasn ebn sawresho

thats a regional problem, not a religious one. get it right fella.

Scimi
Study of comparative religions
Modern school
But Islam refused to be examined by this method
I am familiar with some aspects of the school
A simple NetBook
It would aaekl the Christian faith
But a big problem in Islam
Islam refuses to write any study of this nature and accuses her of infidelity and abuse of religions
Welcome
This school if accepted by Islam and if the provisions under scrutiny
Change the world with light
But ask Muslims do accept this school
And for your information
The Qur'an is a creature or creature of Islamic jurisprudential issues
This is a separate dialog greetings to you

mahasn ebn sawresho

Study of religions ultimate
A modern school in Europe
Tvhasalnsos written in terms of authenticity and origin
Muslims reject these studies
Because the Islamic faith
Says
The Qur'an is the word of God which was revealed to Muhammad
It also refused to say that the sources of the Quran are books prior to

Scimitar

Eschatologist
proof? :D why don't you ever post the proof? instead of your opinion?

Opinions are like *** holes - everyone has one.

:D

Are you really this unmethodical? :D

Scimi

mahasn ebn sawresho

You want to prove
Ask any Muslim
Do you think that the linguistic errors he wrote in Arabic language
Ask any Muslim does in historical errors
And I can make historical errors
Ask any Muslim does the Quran scientific errors and I can provide the scientific errors
Because of the possibilities of the old laptop used
Laatmkn ask all guides
My friend
A Muslim refuses to put the Koran in any critical study
They say he came down from heaven in the form and character and on

mahasn ebn sawresho

You want to prove
Ask any Muslim
Do you think that the linguistic errors he wrote in Arabic language
Ask any Muslim does in historical errors
And I can make historical errors
Ask any Muslim does the Quran scientific errors and I can provide the scientific errors
Because of the possibilities of the old laptop used
Laatmkn ask all guides
My friend
A Muslim refuses to put the Koran in any critical study
They say he came down from heaven in the form and character and on

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on all.

Images of some verses from Holy Quran and translations.

Al-Nahl Chapter 16 : Verse 99
016-099.png

And when thou recitest the Qur’an, seek refuge with Allah from Satan the rejected.

Bani Isra'il Chapter 17 : Verse 10
017-010.png

Surely, this Qur’an guides to what is most right; and gives to the believers who do good deeds the glad tidings that they shall have a great reward.

Bani Isra'il Chapter 17 : Verse 42
017-042.png

We have explained the truth in this Qur’an in the various ways that they may be admonished, but it only increases them in aversion.

Bani Isra'il Chapter 17 : Verse 46
017-046.png

And when thou recitest the Qur’an, We put between thee and those who believe not in the Hereafter a hidden veil;

Bani Isra'il Chapter 17 : Verse 47
017-047.png

And We put coverings over their hearts lest they should understand it, and in their ears a deafness. And when thou makest mention in the Qur’an of thy Lord alone, they turn their backs in aversion.

Al-Zukhruf Chapter 43 : Verse 89
043-089.png

I swear by his repeated cry ‘O my Lord!’ that these are a people who will not believe.

Al-Zukhruf Chapter 43 : Verse 89
043-090.png

Therefore, turn aside from them, and say, ‘Peace’; and soon shall they know.

Al-Hijr Chapter 15 : Verse 10
015-010.png

Verily, We Ourself have sent down this Exhortation, and most surely We will be its Guardian.

Ref: alislam.org/quran
Good wishes.

Last edited:

icehorse

Premium Member
Hello DawudTalut,

Can you explain how these are "positive messages"? These mostly sound like messages that boil down to "be afraid".