• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are the Assumptions of Religion

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
To be honest, I don't want to spend the time and effort digging it up for you. Poke around the years of data gathered by PEW research - they have an article or two on the reasons for conversion that are relevant to what's being asked here. Look at the academic literature that studies religions in a comparative context. Better yet, listen to what affiliates of theistic religions have to say about the reasons for their affiliation. I mean really listen to their stories... which means not layering our own narratives over what they are saying in a way that distorts or invalidates theirs. Honestly, it should be enough for me to tell you "I'm sorry, but this does not characterizes the experiences I've had with religions throughout my life," to make one stop and reconsider.

Very well.
I have already done a decent few hours of research on this subject, but I'll reopen those in respect to your reference.

But what I am stating in this observation is quite simple, no need for complexities.

This is an example of not really listening to what affiliates are saying, and you layering your own narrative over the top of it (or "negating" their perspective, to use a term I spoke in the last post). Many theists are certain about their god(s) and know their god(s). Regardless of whether or not you or I agree with that, that's how they feel. It's important to recognize that if one wants to do a properly impartial study. Granted, that level of academic impartiality isn't what is relevant in day-to-day life. You're certainly free to tell what stories you like about theistic religions and the reasons for various things. I suppose I just hope that you exercise caution with the brush you paint with and recognize that a bunch of us aren't going to fit on the canvass you're making.

I am not adding my own narrative, nor am I ignoring the ones given.
I have made an observation based on basic-ish definitions and actions of religious communities with theistic beliefs.
How someone feels about those is irrelevant. Their arguments against it are not, however.

You seem to be interpreting what I am saying, when you should just take me literally.
I can see counter arguments you can make, and different definitions you can use.
I'm not out to insult the theistic population, not necessarily. I'm debating a topic.

There is hardly anything I don't research before giving my two cents on.
I didn't just come into this thread to start an internet fight with a few people whom I know will disagree with me.
I am using proper definitions and observations to draw a conclusion, that's the gist of it.

morphesium

"Be with me - and I will take you to heaven" -:)

else I will burn you in hell, torture you, :rage:(even i will turn you to the opposite sex and then i will **** you )

just kidding

popsthebuilder

Every (theistic) religion assumes their God/Gods is/are in some way unique and true.
Religious people, of the more general sort, seem to assume their religion is in some way "special".
Not true. Some religions understand that the Creator is the same one God of all monotheistic religions and even responsable for the creation of all things. Even most pagan religions seem to understand the subsidiary nature of their gods to the one creator God of all existence.

The different names of the same one God seem to be a source of hatred and confusion for many.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Not true. Some religions understand that the Creator is the same one God of all monotheistic religions and even responsable for the creation of all things. Even most pagan religions seem to understand the subsidiary nature of their gods to the one creator God of all existence.

The different names of the same one God seem to be a source of hatred and confusion for many.

Cool, how does that take away from my point?
Whether the God is the same or not, the religions perspectives on it are unique.
Else they would all just be the same religion, dontcha think?

popsthebuilder

Cool, how does that take away from my point?
Whether the God is the same or not, the religions perspectives on it are unique.
Else they would all just be the same religion, dontcha think?
Not trying to take away from your point. It is a work in progress and is prophesied. It takes time and effort to selflessly follow what is right regardless of self or want.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Due to misunderstanding of the concept, it should be a point of unity and love.
Regards