• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are some names of false prophets?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
There is a character limit here, and massive walls of post are frowned on.
So rather than leave anyone out...

<Insert name here>

Vultar

Short of a prophet admitting they were just making stuff up, there is really no way to tell. Most actual prophets have been given information (not always accurate) from spirits and decide to pass that information on.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If someone claims to be channeling (or speaking for) a specific deity, there are ways to call BS on them, though. If they claim a certain deity is saying something that would be radically out of character with respect to their known or historic attributes/domains, I will call BS on them.

"I channeled Ares... and he says he wants world peace."
"Hey, I'm speaking for Eros here and he says lust is bad and we should stop lusting after people."

:rolleyes:

Heck, that's not just BS, that borders on blasphemy.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
First define prophet, then define false prophet. Now, how does each receive their messages? Is there any way to verify not only where their messages came from, but that said source is a valid source? I'm sure a Muslim or Hindu would consider that a Christian receiving messages from the Christian god would constitute him being a false prophet, simply because it's coming from a different god. So you would also have to establish the veracity of each religion. Then you'd have to...etc, etc.

So, in conclusion, it's pretty much impossible to determine, and is all based on one's own subjective faith anyway.

Vultar

If someone claims to be channeling (or speaking for) a specific deity, there are ways to call BS on them, though. If they claim a certain deity is saying something that would be radically out of character with respect to their known or historic attributes/domains, I will call BS on them.

"I channeled Ares... and he says he wants world peace."
"Hey, I'm speaking for Eros here and he says lust is bad and we should stop lusting after people."

:rolleyes:

Heck, that's not just BS, that borders on blasphemy.

But what if the "prophet" is told he is channeling Ares but really he is channeling dead Bob from Sacremento who is just saying he is Ares... :D

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
I would say anyone who uses a religion for their own purposes could be considered a "false prophet." In Christianity, for example, maybe someone like Jim Jones or David Koresh would fit the bill.

Jemii

According to Judaism, Jesus and Muhammed are both false prophets.

I can see Jesus as false prophet because he has in fact historically it is known that Jesus broke the Shabbath, that's why Jesus don't regard him as a true prophet.

Oh.. And Nostradamus.. thought he knew divine knowledge that the end of the world was going to happen, thus he's a false prophet.

It says online on Bing search that even the Christians view Muhammed as a false prophet. Yet Christians say Jesus is somehow a prophet when Muhammed is double-dished by the Christians and the Jews. Yet the Muslims say the Christians are right that Jesus is one who was given divine sayings from God Himself.