• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"What’s in the tentative deal to avert shutdown"

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
The deal includes $1.375 billion to build 55 miles of barriers along the border in the Rio Grande Valley.

That amount is well below the $5.7 billion Trump has been demanding in recent weeks, but the goal posts around the issue have evolved substantially over time. When Trump made his initial funding request last year, he asked for $1.6 billion. He later increased that request to $5 billion, and in doing so railed against Senate appropriators for sticking to the original amount in their Homeland Security bill. That legislation, which did not get a vote in the Senate but advanced with overwhelming bipartisan support in committee, specified the funds would cover 65 miles of pedestrian fencing in the Rio Grande Valley.
What’s in the tentative deal to avert shutdown

So how did it drop from 1.6 billion to 1.375 billion? Maybe we are missing some info here. Anyone got more details on this? Is that 1.375 billion in addition to the 1.6 billion or is the 1.6 history?

youknowme

The stupid thing of all this, is that Trump's government shutdown is estimated to have cost the American economy 11 billion.

Shad

Veteran Member
What’s in the tentative deal to avert shutdown

So how did it drop from 1.6 billion to 1.375 billion? Maybe we are missing some info here. Anyone got more details on this? Is that 1.375 billion in addition to the 1.6 billion or is the 1.6 history?

The 1.6 billion is history. The current proposal is in addition to existing funding required due to Bush and Obama administration policy already passed by Congress. That existing funding was in the Bill Trump vetoed.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I still want to know what the Dems got for this 1.375 Billion. I hope they it a lot more than just not shutting down the government.

youknowme

I still want to know what the Dems got for this 1.375 Billion. I hope they it a lot more than just not shutting down the government.

The Dems got a real conversation on barriers that was base on evidence rather than Trump's fear-mongering, which is what they wanted. They also showed that Trump can't use government shut downs to get what he wants. I chalk that up to a win, especially the part where (hopefully) Trump learned that he can't use government shut downs as a political weapon.

I still don't know if this is 1.375 in addition to the 1.6, but either way I am OK with that. I was never against barriers in select locations, when those decisions are made on actual evidence. What I disapprove of is Trump's concept of the wall and the way they just wanted to throw billions into it, not based on evidence but on fear-mongering.

esmith

Veteran Member
I look at barriers along the border this way.
There are many places to cross the board without hardy any effort....just walk across
However, if I put up barriers, I am funneling the border crosser's into a smaller area that I can more easily manage.
Now we know that there will be those that attempt to cross where there are barriers; therefore we install more electronics to detect these illegal border crosser's and use less human resources to manage that area. I can now concentrate more human resources to areas where border crossing are easier. We still use non-human means to detect and track illegals at the non-barrier locations, but we have utilized our resources better.