• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Westboro Baptist Church plans trip to Norway

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
Picard-facepalm.jpg

That's really all I can say to anything regarding the WBC.

Otherright

Otherright
I'm going to laugh one of these days when someone loses it on these rude, arrogant simpletons and puts a couple of them in a hospital.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I'm going to laugh one of these days when someone loses it on these rude, arrogant simpletons and puts a couple of them in a hospital.

Because you think it's cool to put people in hospitals because of their beliefs you don't agree with?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I don't recommend anyone does this, because I'm not sure about the legality. But woudn't it be pretty funny if someone took public domain pics of the WBC holding their signs and doctored them so that they say "God Hates Allah" and then posting them along with links to their sites (where they say some anti-Islamic stuff all on their own) on some of the most hardcore Jihadist websites?

You know, sort of let the nutjobs work out their own disagreements -- I'm sure in a completely civil manner?

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I don't recommend anyone does this, because I'm not sure about the legality. But woudn't it be pretty funny if someone took public domain pics of the WBC holding their signs and doctored them so that they say "God Hates Allah" and then posting them along with links to their sites (where they say some anti-Islamic stuff all on their own) on some of the most hardcore Jihadist websites?

You know, sort of let the nutjobs work out their own disagreements -- I'm sure in a completely civil manner?

An immature response that would only provoke radical terrorists into attacking innocent Westerners who have nothing to do with the WBC.

Besides, the WBC isn't violent so really all that would happen is that the WBC would say all the new attacks were a result of America's acceptance of gays. I guess that would be pretty funny wouldn't it [/sarcasm]

Otherright

Otherright
Because you think it's cool to put people in hospitals because of their beliefs you don't agree with?

No, because I think its uncool to harass and harangue those in a state of grief. Regardless of what you believe, there is no reason for you to interrupt a family that is grieving to let them know how happy you are that their loved one is dead.

If basic human civility can not be extended to those in grief, then where does that put us? If you interrupt a person in grief, that is emotionally distraught at the loss of a loved one, and tell them these things, what do you expect the response to be?

How would you respond.. in the real world?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
An immature response that would only provoke radical terrorists into attacking innocent Westerners who have nothing to do with the WBC.

Besides, the WBC isn't violent so really all that would happen is that the WBC would say all the new attacks were a result of America's acceptance of gays. I guess that would be pretty funny wouldn't it [/sarcasm]

Twas meant in jest, I don't advocate violence against people.

Otherright

Otherright
Twas meant in jest, I don't advocate violence against people.

I don't advocate it either, but when a person goes to extraordinary lengths to cause additional suffering to someone who is already in suffering, don't be surprised when the response becomes violent. This is life. This is karma.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
No, because I think its uncool to harass and harangue those in a state of grief.
Let's beat them into the hospitals!

Regardless of what you believe, there is no reason for you to interrupt a family that is grieving to let them know how happy you are that their loved one is dead.
Why? Or is this simply an emotional appeal?

If basic human civility can not be extended to those in grief, then where does that put us? If you interrupt a person in grief, that is emotionally distraught at the loss of a loved one, and tell them these things, what do you expect the response to be?
Were I in grief and these protesters were to show up, I would ignore them because violent anger would only:
1. Give them more fuel.
2. Semi-legitimize them.
3. Be a really stupid response to a really not worth it situation.

If you yell things about me that are not true, I won't care because I'm an adult. If I respond with anger and violence it presumes that I am in self-denial.

How would you respond.. in the real world?

I'd probably shoot them. Not because of what they were doing but because I like to shoot people in general. [/sarcasm]

In all honesty it probably wouldn't bother me. In fact, I would wonder how they found the time of the funeral I was attending. And I probably would laugh, but that's about it. I wouldn't necessarily get angry. Unless it was raining, because rain makes me angry when it gets me wet. Also I suppose I'd be annoyed if they were loud because I dislike loud noises.

But to beat them into a hospital bed? Because they yell false things about me from a distance? What am I in middle school?

I'm not going to lie, part of this could be because death, to me, isn't a sad thing. When my loved ones die I'm not overly stricken with grief. I'm just sort of like "Oh, that sucks, but it happens."

I think about death a lot (particularly my own, and NOT in a suicidal way) and I have long come to be accepting of the fact that people die. I always am amazed by the reactions of some people when others die, as if death is some sort of big surprise no one new about. It happens to all of us some day or another. This is especially true among the Christians...I mean, they believe there's a heaven the person is going to.

Beyond that, I think mourning death is something we learn as a result of social conditioning. Either that or I'm a sociopath. Arguably it could be either.

Marble

Rolling Marble
No, because I think its uncool to harass and harangue those in a state of grief. Regardless of what you believe, there is no reason for you to interrupt a family that is grieving to let them know how happy you are that their loved one is dead.
Absolutely right and I just don't understand why this is allowed in the USA.
I bet when a woman turned up at a funeral topless, she were in jail in no time.
But disturbing griefing relatives during the funeral of their beloved is legal?

xkatz

Let's beat them into the hospitals!

Why? Or is this simply an emotional appeal?

Were I in grief and these protesters were to show up, I would ignore them because violent anger would only:
1. Give them more fuel.
2. Semi-legitimize them.
3. Be a really stupid response to a really not worth it situation.

If you yell things about me that are not true, I won't care because I'm an adult. If I respond with anger and violence it presumes that I am in self-denial.

I'd probably shoot them. Not because of what they were doing but because I like to shoot people in general. [/sarcasm]

In all honesty it probably wouldn't bother me. In fact, I would wonder how they found the time of the funeral I was attending. And I probably would laugh, but that's about it. I wouldn't necessarily get angry. Unless it was raining, because rain makes me angry when it gets me wet. Also I suppose I'd be annoyed if they were loud because I dislike loud noises.

But to beat them into a hospital bed? Because they yell false things about me from a distance? What am I in middle school?

I'm not going to lie, part of this could be because death, to me, isn't a sad thing. When my loved ones die I'm not overly stricken with grief. I'm just sort of like "Oh, that sucks, but it happens."

I think about death a lot (particularly my own, and NOT in a suicidal way) and I have long come to be accepting of the fact that people die. I always am amazed by the reactions of some people when others die, as if death is some sort of big surprise no one new about. It happens to all of us some day or another. This is especially true among the Christians...I mean, they believe there's a heaven the person is going to.

Beyond that, I think mourning death is something we learn as a result of social conditioning. Either that or I'm a sociopath. Arguably it could be either.

Frubals. :clap

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Absolutely right and I just don't understand why this is allowed in the USA.
Freedom is kind of a big deal here. Or at least it used to be. People in this current time don't seem to care anymore about freedom but instead care about themselves. Comfortable slavery is more pleasing than freedom.

But I should have figured, freedom often requires one to do stuff for one's self, and God forbid we all be so hard-working.

I bet when a woman turned up at a funeral topless, she were in jail in no time.
Because she isn't being arrested for disturbing a funeral, but for public nudity.

But disturbing griefing relatives during the funeral of their beloved is legal?

Well, they're not disturbing. They're standing nearby yelling and protesting, which is technically allowed. If you happen to be disturbed by their yelling and protesting then technically that is your fault.

It's like being annoyed if my friend and I walk by you having a conversation. Yes, you're having a bad day (being at a funeral and all), but does that mean the world around you should cater to your grief? No. Grieving won't bring the person back, so why get so angry over the protesters? Because they stopped you from doing something totally and utterly self-serving in a public place (I exclude private funerals because the WBC may not protest on private property).

Otherright

Otherright

First, I said somebody, not me. But I don't have a problem with it happening.

They aren't yelling false things about you. They are telling you that they are happy that your loved one is dead. They are there for one singular purpose, to try their best to increase your suffering.

When they come face to face with you, in order to attempt to increase your personal suffering, that is a direct challenge to you. Its fine if you disagree on an issue. That is simply a matter of opinion. But when you purposely go into a situation, trying to create a confrontation, don't be surprised when one is created.

If you are OK with people running over you like that, that's great. I'm not. If I have issued no challenge to you and you come to me issuing a challenge, then it will be met. Furthermore, if the idea is to issue that challenge by deliberately trying to increase my suffering, in a time of suffering, it will be met with in a manner that will quickly and summarily put an end to the challenge.

Personally, I'd get the take down, let them roll, take their back and choke them out, leaving them with their sign to rest in silence, until the funeral concludes.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
First, I said somebody, not me. But I don't have a problem with it happening.
You would think it was funny if it happened, because you would laugh. I find it shocking that you would laugh over something so wretched and illegal as the WBC being beaten into hospitalization.

They aren't yelling false things about you. They are telling you that they are happy that your loved one is dead. They are there for one singular purpose, to try their best to increase your suffering.
Typically their protest is to send a message (from their perspective) about God's opinion of what happened to you. It actually usually has nothing to do with your suffering, although I'm sure they don't care for your suffering. They don't say "I'm so happy your loved one is dead", but rather "God hates you (or your loved one)" because of something your country has done.

When they come face to face with you, in order to attempt to increase your personal suffering, that is a direct challenge to you. Its fine if you disagree on an issue. That is simply a matter of opinion. But when you purposely go into a situation, trying to create a confrontation, don't be surprised when one is created.
You misinterpret their goal. They don't care about your suffering. They merely use it to try and spread their message.

If you are OK with people running over you like that, that's great. I'm not. If I have issued no challenge to you and you come to me issuing a challenge, then it will be met. Furthermore, if the idea is to issue that challenge by deliberately trying to increase my suffering, in a time of suffering, it will be met with in a manner that will quickly and summarily put an end to the challenge.

Personally, I'd get the take down, let them roll, take their back and choke them out, leaving them with their sign to rest in silence, until the funeral concludes.

If only we all decided to physically harm those we disagreed with...:facepalm: How much better the world would be right?