• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcoming the Stranger

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The reason given is humanitarian, not religious. How did you determine that this is religion in action?
Perhaps from ...

As Rabbis, we take seriously the biblical mandate to “welcome the stranger.” We call on our elected officials to uphold the great legacy of a country that welcomes refugees.
Why does the characterization disturb you?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Perhaps from ...

Why does the characterization disturb you?
Because I would think that as Rabbis, they would know that the verse in Lev. 19:34 is referring to converts. Maybe there is some other verse that speaks about welcoming strangers who are not converts into a land? Or maybe they are just using religious terminology for a humanitarian concern?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Because I would think that as Rabbis, they would know that the verse in Lev. 19:34 is referring to converts. Maybe there is some other verse that speaks about welcoming strangers who are not converts into a land? Or maybe they are just using religious terminology for a humanitarian concern?
Would you mind me quoting posts three, four, and five as part of a new post?