• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We will not regain credibility if the church does not confront indigenous abuse

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
The Roman church is a giant corporation. You would assume its pretty important to keep the credibility intact if you hope to keep the revenues coming. But you would be wrong. Followers of this church will accept literally anything it does.
I cannot think of a period of history where this has been true. Criticism of the church's conduct is as old as the church itself, and criticism of the church's conduct in America dates back to the early 16th century, when most of the continent hadn't even been discovered yet.

You could to argue that a lot of that criticism has not managed to effect meaningful change - which I would readily agree with. But I would argue that it's never too late to try and change for the better.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I cannot think of a period of history where this has been true. Cveriticism of the church's conduct is as old as the church itself, and criticism of the church's conduct in America dates back to the early 16th century, when most of the continent hadn't even been discovered yet.

You could to argue that a lot of that criticism has not managed to effect meaningful change - which I would readily agree with. But I would argue that it's never too late to try and change for the better.
There have been some serious changes for the better and, not to excuse what my church has done, but we ain't alone in our culpability. For just one example, the Catholic Church has admitted that all too many of the clergy and lay cooperated with the Germans during the Holocaust, but how many other churches have done that? the same with child abuse? the same with treatment of the indigenous? the same with the conflict between different faiths?

No, it won't remove the harm already done, but there has been very significant progress made.