• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Yeshua the only resurected?

roberto

Coming from a Christian background, I was always taught/and thought, that Yeshua was the only person resurrected on that day.

My question is:what happened to the other guys also resurrected with him?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Coming from a Christian background, I was always taught/and thought, that Yeshua was the only person resurrected on that day.

Welcome to RF Roberto :)

Hope you have a good time here on RF

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Given the helpful feedback I received on the list, I have also decided to include a list of “honorable mentions” which I personally don’t think are resurrections but have been thought so by some.
  • Jonah and the fish (Jonah 1–2)
  • Paul in the city of Lystra (Acts 14:19–20)
  • The beast/head of the beast (Rev 13:3)

Full List of Resurrections in the Bible | PeterGoeman.com

roberto

Given the helpful feedback I received on the list, I have also decided to include a list of “honorable mentions” which I personally don’t think are resurrections but have been thought so by some.
  • Jonah and the fish (Jonah 1–2)
  • Paul in the city of Lystra (Acts 14:19–20)
  • The beast/head of the beast (Rev 13:3)

Full List of Resurrections in the Bible | PeterGoeman.com
Mestemia

Tanx, this was/is VERY helpful !

Shall go and study Petergoeman's page.

Brian2

Veteran Member

We don't know who were taken from the grave after the resurrection of Jesus, they would not have been resurrected as Jesus was, as a man with a transformed and glorified body. Just what happened to them is not said but I think their souls would have gone to wait for the resurrection again and probably to heaven.
The resurrection is when the spirit part of man is rejoined with a body to become a full human again.
Those in Christ also who die go to be with Jesus as and are brought back at the resurrection to be resurrected. (see 1Thess 4:13-18)
Anyone else who has been resurrected in the Bible has been resurrected back to their normal life on earth in their mortal bodies.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

It doesn't mention the multitude that rose from the dead when he was raised from the dead.

But, like Lazarus, their bodies would still ultimately die because the were created from a cursed ground. The body of Jesus was created by the power of the Holy Spirit and not from the cursed ground.

roberto

KenS, these are the verses that got me wondering:

Mat 27:52 Also the graves were opened, and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life;
Mat 27:53 and after Yeshua rose, they came out of the graves and went into the holy city, where many people saw them.

And never mentioned again in the Bible.............................

Now, if Yeshua was to become high priest and he has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.........What would he have used as a first sheaf of "grain" of the harvest to be Waved and accepted by God?

When did he rise up to heaven?

Lev 23:15 "'From the day after the day of rest -that is, from the day you bring the sheaf for waving -you are to count seven full weeks,
Lev 23:16 until the day after the seventh week; you are to count fifty days; and then you are to present a new grain offering to ADONAI.

Just wondering.

Last edited:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Imagine the insanity that would have unfolded in the aftermath of Matthew 27:50-53. Many were raised after a tectonic event that split rocks apart!

How are there no historical reference to an event like this? All I've seen are references from early christians who just refer to those verses (those verses in particular seemed popular, for some reason).

Brian2

Veteran Member
Imagine the insanity that would have unfolded in the aftermath of Matthew 27:50-53. Many were raised after a tectonic event that split rocks apart!

How are there no historical reference to an event like this? All I've seen are references from early christians who just refer to those verses (those verses in particular seemed popular, for some reason).

Earthquakes were and maybe are a common event in that part of the world. Most probably would not have rated a mention. This may be the case with the earthquake mentioned by Matthew.
Why do people automatically dismiss the Bible witness as historical?
Archaeology has found evidence of some earthquakes mentioned in the Bible however.
Greatest Earthquakes of the Bible

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Earthquakes were and maybe are a common event in that part of the world. Most probably would not have rated a mention. This may be the case with the earthquake mentioned by Matthew.
Why do people automatically dismiss the Bible witness as historical?
Archaeology has found evidence of some earthquakes mentioned in the Bible however.
Greatest Earthquakes of the Bible

Well, the bible absolutely does cover events that can be varified via third party accounts or archeological evidence. It's a wonderful source for things like this; in fact, it's one of the best. Here's the thing, though: it's different when folks start treating it as an inerrant record of the history of the planet.

There just is no such thing. Even the best historians of the past are known for stretching the truth, or just straight up making things up. Herodotus has been called the father of history; he's also been called the father of lies. Things that are recorded as historical events that can't be varified are treated dubiously at best, but when you add supernatural events (such as Joshua stopping the rotation of the earth in Josha 10:12-13), they demand varification if they are expected to be believed.

Can you imagine if we treated all religious texts or texts that spoke of supernatural events in the real world of the past as inerrant records of the history of the planet?

I mean... Look at the Saga of the Volsungs. The Volsungs were a real family that really existed, and the saga recounts real events and real people of history; like Attila the Hun. It also recounts stories of dragon slaying, magical powers, gods intervening and participating in the events of man (those same real, historical events), and mysterious valkyrie.

What's worse, we know that certain events in the bible didn't happen in the way the bible said they did, and we still want to suggest that the bible is an inerrant record of the history of the planet, and that the evidence is wrong?

Ehhh... I'm sorry, but this is why treating things this way is just a bad idea...

capumetu

Jesus was the only one recorded as being resurrected on Nisan 16, 33CE. No others were mentioned sir.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Well, the bible absolutely does cover events that can be varified via third party accounts or archeological evidence. It's a wonderful source for things like this; in fact, it's one of the best. Here's the thing, though: it's different when folks start treating it as an inerrant record of the history of the planet.

There just is no such thing. Even the best historians of the past are known for stretching the truth, or just straight up making things up. Herodotus has been called the father of history; he's also been called the father of lies. Things that are recorded as historical events that can't be varified are treated dubiously at best, but when you add supernatural events (such as Joshua stopping the rotation of the earth in Josha 10:12-13), they demand varification if they are expected to be believed.

Can you imagine if we treated all religious texts or texts that spoke of supernatural events in the real world of the past as inerrant records of the history of the planet?

I mean... Look at the Saga of the Volsungs. The Volsungs were a real family that really existed, and the saga recounts real events and real people of history; like Attila the Hun. It also recounts stories of dragon slaying, magical powers, gods intervening and participating in the events of man (those same real, historical events), and mysterious valkyrie.

What's worse, we know that certain events in the bible didn't happen in the way the bible said they did, and we still want to suggest that the bible is an inerrant record of the history of the planet, and that the evidence is wrong?

Ehhh... I'm sorry, but this is why treating things this way is just a bad idea...

That sounds fair enough. It can however end up that Christians and Jews, just like skeptics, refuse to believe supernatural scriptural accounts until they are proven. That is something that goes against the idea of faith. If I believe in Jesus and the Word of God then where do I draw the line about what I will and will not believe.
I certainly can interpret the Bible differently if science has shown that some events did not happen as the historical interpretations have said. But even when it comes to the sun standing still, why should I believe that God is not capable of doing that?
Actually I have heard that there have been records of long days in some cultures, probably not pinpointed to the time of Joshua however. There are numerous attempts at explanations for the long day in the Bible, eg
Did the Sun Actually Stand Still in Joshua's Long Day?
Personally I think God may have just spun the universe around the earth to keep the earth and sun in a similar position relative to each other. :)

roberto

Jesus was the only one recorded as being resurrected on Nisan 16, 33CE. No others were mentioned sir.
Mat 27:51 Behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from the top to the bottom. The earth quaked and the rocks were split.
Mat 27:52 The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the holy ones who had fallen asleep were raised;
Mat 27:53 and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection, they entered into the holy city and appeared to many.

101G

Mat 27:51 Behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from the top to the bottom. The earth quaked and the rocks were split.
Mat 27:52 The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the holy ones who had fallen asleep were raised;
Mat 27:53 and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection, they entered into the holy city and appeared to many.
Restored life is not resurrected life...... they only "appared, not changed.

PICJAG 101G.

Brian2

Veteran Member
thinking resurrected means to stand . normally when some one is dead they tend to fall over.

The New World Translation has a completely different translation of the text of the earthquake and rising of the OT saints than other translations. It is hard to see how such a different translation could come about. Is everyone else lying or is it the WT who are desperate to show their own doctrines to be correct?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
That sounds fair enough. It can however end up that Christians and Jews, just like skeptics, refuse to believe supernatural scriptural accounts until they are proven. That is something that goes against the idea of faith. If I believe in Jesus and the Word of God then where do I draw the line about what I will and will not believe.

Well, that's a good question... I've found in my own personal experience that blind faith has not been a very good way for me to arrive at the truth. Now, faith isn't inherently a bad thing in and of itself, IMO, but faith should be tempered by facts. Don't forget that the creator of Ocram's Razor was in fact a Christian. If one loves the truth, they have to respect intellectual honesty.

I certainly can interpret the Bible differently if science has shown that some events did not happen as the historical interpretations have said. But even when it comes to the sun standing still, why should I believe that God is not capable of doing that?

Yah... I used to use this line of logic a lot back when I was a believer.

Even when I was a serious Christian, and learning about creationism in my youth, I felt that the theories proposed were a bit outlandish. I learned that creationists had proposed a theory that the upper atmosphere was covered in a giant ice sheet that filtered in sunlight and trapped moisture like a greenhouse. That's why there was no bodies of water, and no rain before the flood (even though I don't even remember reading about the absence of either in the bible). When the flood struck, god melted the ice sheet and it came down as a torrent.

I thought, "Why would god even need to go through all that? He'd just need to snap his fingers and it'd happen without an "ice sheet" or anything else like that!"

As for the rotation of the earth... Keep in mind that the earth rotates at 1000 miles an hour. Stopping that would fling everything on the planet to one side, and kill countless things. Even just slowing it down would have caused EVERYTHING on earth to at least roll or fall over to one side. Whole weather patterns would change in disasterous ways... It would be an event recorded globally as some kind of terrible, supernatural attack from the gods.

I guess you could say that god just somehow made it so none of that happened. After all, he created all of existance, right? That makes a very convenient excuse for everything happening you don't seem to understand or like, though... Makes it easier to dismiss facts and to shut down deeper thinking. That's how I used it in my past, at least.

Actually I have heard that there have been records of long days in some cultures, probably not pinpointed to the time of Joshua however.

Records, or myths? Also, those myths aren't that wide spread at all. The only other myth I can think of is the Toltec myth, which happened some 1,300 years after the time Joshua would have lived. That'd be around 50 B.C., which would have happened during the Roman Empire. Romans recorded a lot of events that happened... Why not one where the sun literally stopped in the sky, or the land was blanketed in 24 hours of night? I'm sure they'd mention some massive event surrounding the god Sol, or the goddess Nox.

There are numerous attempts at explanations for the long day in the Bible, eg
Did the Sun Actually Stand Still in Joshua's Long Day?
Personally I think God may have just spun the universe around the earth to keep the earth and sun in a similar position relative to each other. :)

That's fair enough, I suppose! Seems like a lot of trouble to go through just making something work that seems rather impossible, though.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Well, that's a good question... I've found in my own personal experience that blind faith has not been a very good way for me to arrive at the truth. Now, faith isn't inherently a bad thing in and of itself, IMO, but faith should be tempered by facts. Don't forget that the creator of Ocram's Razor was in fact a Christian. If one loves the truth, they have to respect intellectual honesty.

My faith is combined with my reasoning and I think I am being intellectually honest to not believe all that
many scholars say when they are writing things against the Bible. They have their own faith and write accordingly, they are not lacking bias.

Yah... I used to use this line of logic a lot back when I was a believer.

Even when I was a serious Christian, and learning about creationism in my youth, I felt that the theories proposed were a bit outlandish. I learned that creationists had proposed a theory that the upper atmosphere was covered in a giant ice sheet that filtered in sunlight and trapped moisture like a greenhouse. That's why there was no bodies of water, and no rain before the flood (even though I don't even remember reading about the absence of either in the bible). When the flood struck, god melted the ice sheet and it came down as a torrent.

I thought, "Why would god even need to go through all that? He'd just need to snap his fingers and it'd happen without an "ice sheet" or anything else like that!"

As for the rotation of the earth... Keep in mind that the earth rotates at 1000 miles an hour. Stopping that would fling everything on the planet to one side, and kill countless things. Even just slowing it down would have caused EVERYTHING on earth to at least roll or fall over to one side. Whole weather patterns would change in disasterous ways... It would be an event recorded globally as some kind of terrible, supernatural attack from the gods.

I guess you could say that god just somehow made it so none of that happened. After all, he created all of existance, right? That makes a very convenient excuse for everything happening you don't seem to understand or like, though... Makes it easier to dismiss facts and to shut down deeper thinking. That's how I used it in my past, at least.

Nevertheless God could make a day longer than normal. Once you start losing your faith in the God who can do that then I guess all these questions about how God could have done it without a disaster tend to make your faith go even further. Then you start believing all the negative press about the truth of the Bible in other areas too. Pretty soon you decide not to go on and that it is easier to not believe.

Records, or myths? Also, those myths aren't that wide spread at all. The only other myth I can think of is the Toltec myth, which happened some 1,300 years after the time Joshua would have lived. That'd be around 50 B.C., which would have happened during the Roman Empire. Romans recorded a lot of events that happened... Why not one where the sun literally stopped in the sky, or the land was blanketed in 24 hours of night? I'm sure they'd mention some massive event surrounding the god Sol, or the goddess Nox.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about the Toltec myth but there are others. Even recently it seems that astronomers thought they worked out that we have lost a day somewhere. I wondered how they could possibly work that out and found out in the site I will link. There was a report that the whole thing was a hoax but it seems one of the astronomers say that the hoax report was the hoax. But of course I do not expect a non believer to even consider these things to possibly be true. It seems Christians readily believed that the astronomer's report was a hoax. So much BS going around that we readily dismiss things that may be true, esp if they are a bit far fetched.
The Long Day of Joshua | The Believers Web

That's fair enough, I suppose! Seems like a lot of trouble to go through just making something work that seems rather impossible, though.

Yah, no doubt there are better explanations. It would be no trouble for God however.:)
In the site I posted there is one about an asteroid crashing into the earth and slowing down the mantle etc while the core continued to rotate,,,,,,,,,,sounds like that would cause disasters however. It also says that Newton showed that the rotation could be slowed without much of a problem for earth and it's people.
Interesting stuff, but who is going to believe these things. They are as bad as conspiracy theories. But no I do not discount all conspiracy theories, some of them are probably true. But there are so many around that we just dismiss them all in the interests of Occam's Razor I guess.

Edit: I guess the easiest one to explain and accept for Joshua is reflection of refraction using mirror or prism. But it all requires faith in the text first of all to even consider a possible mechanism.

Last edited: