• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Yeshua the only resurected?

cataway

I think a cross is more like a tree than a stake is like a tree. Anyway that would have been written to show the Jews that Jesus was cursed by them but shown to be honoured by God who raised Him from the dead. (Gal 3:13, Deut 21:23)
But maybe the Romans used trees to crucify people, but history shows us otherwise and even the Bible indicates otherwise and even the Watchtower taught initially that Jesus was crucified on a cross.
it likely depended on how long the romans wanted the one hungup to live . on a upright pole with two hands bound above the head , a person cannot live very long. on a cross it could take days to die. the three hung up had hours to live .on the stake/pole to make death come even faster the legs would be broken .

Brian2

Veteran Member
it likely depended on how long the romans wanted the one hungup to live . on a upright pole with two hands bound above the head , a person cannot live very long. on a cross it could take days to die. the three hung up had hours to live .on the stake/pole to make death come even faster the legs would be broken .

The Watchtower taught Jesus died on a cross till the late 1930, now it says that true Christians do not use the cross in worship.
Clues in the Bible and the most likely version of what Jesus died on is an upright stake with a cross member (basically the shape of a cross). Historians also give us evidnece about the shape of the cross the Romans mainly used.
It is almost like the Watchtower changed their teaching just be to different, or maybe they saw a resemblance between the cross and symbol for Tammuz and decided it would be another way to attack Christendom by claiming Jesus was not executed on a cross.
Now of course every JW believes what the Watchtower teaches about the cross ( and everything else) even if it is obviously or probably wrong and even if the Watchtower has been wrong in the past about many things.
Do you even feel as if you are following merely a man made organisation which claims to be the only source of truth in these latter days?

cataway

The Watchtower taught Jesus died on a cross till the late 1930, now it says that true Christians do not use the cross in worship.
Clues in the Bible and the most likely version of what Jesus died on is an upright stake with a cross member (basically the shape of a cross). Historians also give us evidnece about the shape of the cross the Romans mainly used.
It is almost like the Watchtower changed their teaching just be to different, or maybe they saw a resemblance between the cross and symbol for Tammuz and decided it would be another way to attack Christendom by claiming Jesus was not executed on a cross.
Now of course every JW believes what the Watchtower teaches about the cross ( and everything else) even if it is obviously or probably wrong and even if the Watchtower has been wrong in the past about many things.
Do you even feel as if you are following merely a man made organisation which claims to be the only source of truth in these latter days?
WOW, thats some interesting logic. you are saying that if you make a mistake then you must perpetually hold to a belief that you now know to be wrong . if you like it or not ,
well now ,that does tend to explain most of Christendom's belief structure

Brian2

Veteran Member
WOW, thats some interesting logic. you are saying that if you make a mistake then you must perpetually hold to a belief that you now know to be wrong . if you like it or not ,
well now ,that does tend to explain most of Christendom's belief structure

I have changed my belief about some things, so I am not saying that.
I am saying that an organisation that claims to be the sole source of the truth in this age should not be changing views or it shows that their initial views were not from God and in fact were not true and were darkness. Why wouldn't the Watchtower also change other doctrines if they have changed this? Well the answer of course is that they have done that when their error cannot be hidden any longer. (eg the teachings about various times for Armageddon etc have changed and other things have changed as a consequence. The definition of a "generation" has changed so that it is not the same generation that was alive in 1914 that would see the end. The list actually goes on and some of this stuff is significant.
I am also saying that the evidence points to a cross being execution device and to change from that view is not because of the evidence. This is both the Biblical evidence and historical evidence.
Jesus was nailed with more than one nail. (John 20:25) The sign above Jesus was above His head, not His hands. Matt 27:37) A description of how Peter would die says that he would stretch out his hands, as in on a cross. (John 21:18,19)
The cross thing is not an important doctrine but to make it a doctrine that the JWs have to believe and to give it value is imo weird unless there was a motive to do that.
Actually I find that the way the Watchtower forces beliefs like this onto people as if they were important is a bit like the Legalistic Jewish Christians who wanted Christians to be circumcised.
Gal6:13 For the circumcised do not even keep the law themselves, yet they want you to be circumcised that they may boast in your flesh.
It appears to me that the Watchtower are so authoritarian about everyone believing the same so they can boast about it, which they do.

cataway

you have changed your beliefs about ''some things'' you will never enter into the kingdom by just changing some things

cataway

And neither of us will enter the Kingdom without being born again.
yes, you need to start over ,start afresh . to re-learn to get a correct understanding of scripture .
the kingdom is coming and will rule over the earth for all time .

Brian2

Veteran Member
yes, you need to start over ,start afresh . to re-learn to get a correct understanding of scripture .
the kingdom is coming and will rule over the earth for all time .

Can we be born again by reading scripture?
John said that everyone who believes Jesus is the Christ is born of God.
I know Jesus is returning and will rule over God's Kingdom. We can be part of that Kingdom, I know that.
The Old Testament saints will be part of that Kingdom, I know that.
If I relearnt scripture the JW way what of the above are wrong and would have to be relearnt?