• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was there a biginning?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Good point.

Can we fix the universe by having time come out of the big bang and thus being part of 'the beginning'?

A beginning presupposes the existence of time. If time, as a geographic dimension, only came into existence with the Big Bang, was there ever really a beginning? Was there ever a time when the universe was not, followed by a time when the universe was?
The big bang postulates the "explosion" of both time and space. In effect, neither existed prior to the festivities. That does not mean that the pre-big bang period may not have lasted for trillions of years, it's just that "time" as we know it did not exist, therefore the idea is somewhat moot. In slightly more complex terms, time is a relationship between physical objects within in a three dimensional universe. Without space, time does not exist, at least, from our perspective.

I could have that wrong, but that is the way I understand it.

atanu

Premium Member
I think that the universe goes through cycles of 'birth' and 'death' eternally. There was no beginning, and there will be no end.

Yes, IMO. Beginnings are phase changes between beingness and non-beingness of the universe, which according to vedanta is the divine person. The source of the divine person is timeless Atman.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I used to think about that- what the beginning was. The Big Bang theory, creation (which could very well be the same thing as BBT), or whatever. But the truth is, I stopped thinking about that. I don't know what the beginning entailed and decided to think about other things, instead. I think it would be better to worry about where we are going than where we were before (at least for me). :)
Good topic!

Perhaps events dictate time.

Perhaps `mud has located the perfect shell for listening to an infinte butterfly winging musical.

best,
swampy

work in progress

Then you would have to ask where did that something come from, something eventually down the road came from nothing.
The classic assumption of humans living in the realm of middle dimensions - that every effect has a cause....and likely a purposeful cause. This all started to break down when physicists proposed and later verified the existence of force-carrying Virtual Particles that pop into existence in virtual pairs, straight out of the space-time fabric, only for a brief period of time before they re-combine, only to annihilate each other and vanish back into the space-time fabric. That ought to be a lesson for everyone who expects the physics of the universe should work according to our natural expectations.

And according to the physicists at the leading edge of cosmology, entire universes can pop into existence and "borrow" the energy and space-time they need to create matter, antimatter and photons from "false vacuum energy", making our Universe what Alan Guth - the creator of Inflation Theory to explain the physics of the Big Bang expansion - calls "the ultimate free lunch." We don't have to understand it, as long as the math works and it is able to make testable predictions that can be verified...hopefully. But, right now, what we have to go on does not lead in the direction that our universe has to be created, or started in any manner that will make sense to us on an intuitive level. ASP: A Universe from Nothing

The classic assumption of humans living in the realm of middle dimensions - that every effect has a cause....and likely a purposeful cause. This all started to break down when physicists proposed and later verified the existence of force-carrying Virtual Particles that pop into existence in virtual pairs, straight out of the space-time fabric, only for a brief period of time before they re-combine, only to annihilate each other and vanish back into the space-time fabric. That ought to be a lesson for everyone who expects the physics of the universe should work according to our natural expectations.

And according to the physicists at the leading edge of cosmology, entire universes can pop into existence and "borrow" the energy and space-time they need to create matter, antimatter and photons from "false vacuum energy", making our Universe what Alan Guth - the creator of Inflation Theory to explain the physics of the Big Bang expansion - calls "the ultimate free lunch." We don't have to understand it, as long as the math works and it is able to make testable predictions that can be verified...hopefully. But, right now, what we have to go on does not lead in the direction that our universe has to be created, or started in any manner that will make sense to us on an intuitive level. ASP: A Universe from Nothing

Greetings,

Emerging from the capacity to emerge is continuous existence. JMHO

best,
swampy

cAmigo

Nice conversation.
It reminded me that the One whose identity is 'I Am who Am' says 'I am the beginning and the end'.
Yes, all there is in Now. I agree.
'Beginning' is not just a referrance to time, but to the foundation of things. 'End' is also not so much about time as it is about purpose.

Life is like blood which is alwasy circulating in the body. There is life as long as blood is running. When did it start running, we may be tempted to say, in the womb, but I think we would be wrong.
The fact is, while there is change in quantity and perhaps quality, the life giving force came have always been running, it came from our parents and transmitted to the child.

The Now, is the 'running', is the life.

A while ago I read someone saying that 'thoughts' condensate into 'energy', and energy into matter, and matter return into energy, energy back into thoughts, and so on.

I believe 'nothing' means no creature. All are created in and by the Logos (Thought, Word) of God. And this is not so much a matter of time, but of divine judgement in the now.

Horizontally, we see things coming from others, but vertically, real things come from nothing or the Logos.

cAmigo

'When?' is a question that comes when 'Why?' is not being answered or not being answered properly.
First comes 'Why?' then 'When?', then 'How?'

DiligentDave

Lunokilo,

Reading your initial post in this thread (without reading any of the others), I must respond to your "wandering wonderings" using the little song from "The Sound of Music" when "Maria" and "the Captain" are singing to each other. One stanza in the song goes, "Nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever could" (so somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good).

I am LDS (Mormon), and we believe that the protology (what came before) of mankind (on this earth) was that we lived all as spirit 'children' of heavenly parents (Eliza R. Snow, 2nd General President of the LDS Church's (Female) Relief Society wrote - in an LDS hymn called "Oh My Father"), "In the heavens, are parents single? No, the thought, makes reason stare. Truth is reason, truth eternal, tells me I've a mother there...").

Last Sunday, in our 'Gospel Doctrine' Sunday School class, I expressed this personal opinion—

In Matthew, we find this statement by Jesus—

Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

(Matthew 18:10)

I think that it is highly likely that the word "angels" likely originally was "spirits". And hence, I believe what Jesus was saying was this—

In heaven, before we are born and take upon us a body of flesh and bones (and become, initially as mortals on this earth "little children"), we are in "heaven", and we are intimately acquainted with our Heavenly Father, as a little child often becomes intimately acquainted with an earthly parent. We knew him there, because he was/is the 'Father of (our) spirits'! We loved him there, because he loved us (we see a shadow of this relationship with earthly parents and their children). And, we wanted to grow in stature and favor with him. We 'worshiped' him (meaning, we wanted to become like him). We could always there, quite literally, see his face! We were well acquainted with him, and he was/is perfectly acquainted with each and every one of us!

During a period of our pre-earthly lives, even before the earth was 'created' (formed), our Heavenly Father presented a plan, whereby we could acquire bodies of flesh and bone as he has (he does not have blood, though, since that is lost or not needed after resurrection).

Even Jesus alludes to an apparent life that the Father must have had when he (Jesus) said this—

Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

(John 5:19)

What did the Son do? He healed the sick. He raised the dead. He baptized. He ordained men to priesthood offices (apostles, seventies, evangelists, bishops, priests, teachers, etc). He ate. He drank. He slept. He walked on water. He cast out devils. He died. He self-resurrected. So, we can extrapolate that the Father, at a much earlier time, on another planet, did likewise.

The concept of 'ex nilho' (out of nothing) comes from a misunderstanding of what is meant in Genesis, when it says that the earth was 'void'. That doesn't mean it was 'nothing', it means it was void of life, especially human life.

My wife can create a chocolate cake. But, though she "makes it from scratch", she does not make it from 'nothing', though one meaning of the word 'scratch' literally means "nothing". She starts with ingredients— flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, chocolate, salt, etc.

Sure, to creatures (us) who have a 'beginning' (conception and/or birth), and an 'end' (death), that something / anything could and would go on forever, from eternity (back in time) to eternity (forward in time) seems difficult.

But, on the other hand, the thought that either something 'begins' (is made of absolutely nothing) and 'ends' (ceases to exist), is even far more difficult, at least for me (and some others) to imagine.

The following reference are from LDS scriptures (which include the Bible-KJV, The Book of Mormon, the book of 'Doctrine & Covenants' and 'The Pearl of Great Price'. All of these can be found at lds(dot)org in menu under scriptures.

Our Father in heaven there presented a plan, where he told us that we would get the opportunity to live on a planet to be tested. We would receive, like He has, a physical body. He would, via angels and prophets and apostles, give us commandments. And, to the extent or degree to which we sought to do his will, rather than our own, would determine whether or not we would be able to become like Him.

Since He knew we would transgress his law, and since he is a perfectly just being, someone would have to make intercession for us. A Savior, now known as Jesus Christ, but initially known, even premortally, as Jehovah, was the one spirit child of His of sufficient integrity that He (God the Father) knew He (Jehovah/Jesus) would fulfill his calling as a Savior and Redeemer for us, and make it so that we all would eventually be resurrected after we died, and inherit either His Kingdom (God the Father's) with Him (same & Christ), or would inherit a lesser kingdom (I Corinthians 15, especially verses 39-41 touch upon this subject).

A "son of the morning", Lucifer, an angel of some high position and prominence during our premortal life, challenged God the Father's plan. He proposed that he (Lucifer) be the savior, and he would make everyone do what is right. Since God (the Father) has already given us our 'agency' (our right to choose for ourselves), and Lucifer sought to take this agency away, and he (Lucifer) also wanted to be above God the Father, he (Lucifer) and one third of all the hosts of heaven who followed him (Lucifer) were cast out. They are they who try to derail us in this life. Lucifer became 'Satan', the devil, or the "devil of devils". Since his plan was unworkable, he truly was and is a "liar from the beginning".

The "beginning" was the time when our opportunity came, with the formation of this planet (earth), and our chance to come and prove ourselves, showing by our inclinations, as evidenced by our actions, what we ultimately desired. Being out of the presence of God allowed us to fully exercise our agency, not feeling coerced into doing what is right!

(more next post on this)

DiligentDave

(to continue my previous post in this thread)

Here are some LDS scriptural references to some of the scriptures that give us clues as to some of the things that transpired before we were born on earth, and some, even before the earth was formed.

Council in Heaven (see also Foreordination; Man, Antemortal Existence of)
Job 38:7 sons of God shouted for joy
Isa. 14:13 exalt my throne above the stars of God
Luke 10:18 I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven
Rev. 12:7 war in heaven
2 Ne. 2:17 an angel of God ... fallen from heaven
Alma 13:3 called and prepared from the foundation of the world
D&C 29:36 he rebelled against me
D&C 76:25 an angel ... rebelled against the ... Son
Moses 4:3 Satan rebelled against me
Abr. 3:22 intelligences that were organized before the world
Abr. 4:26 Gods took counsel among themselves
Abr. 5:2 end our work, which we have counseled.

(Topical Guide | C Council in Heaven:Entry)

Man, Antemortal Existence of (see also Council in Heaven; Foreordination; Man, Spirit Child of Heavenly Father; Spirit Creation)
Num. 16:22 (27:16) God of the spirits of all flesh
Job 38:7 all the sons of God shouted for joy
Eccl. 12:7 the spirit shall return unto God who gave it
Jer. 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee
Zech. 12:1 Lord ... formeth the spirit of man within him
John 9:2 who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind
Acts 17:28 poets have said, For we are also his offspring
Rom. 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate
Eph. 1:4 chosen us in him before the foundation of the world
Heb. 12:9 subjection unto the Father of spirits
Jude 1:6 angels which kept not their first estate
Rev. 12:7 Michael and his angels fought against the dragon
Alma 13:3 called and prepared from the foundation of the world
Hel. 14:17 bringeth mankind ... back into the presence of the Lord
D&C 29:36 third part of the hosts of heaven turned he away
D&C 38:1 seraphic hosts of heaven, before the world was made
D&C 49:17 man, according to his creation before the world
D&C 93:29 Man was also in the beginning with God
D&C 138:53 choice spirits who were reserved to come forth
D&C 138:56 before they were born ... received their first lessons
Moses 3:5 in heaven created I them, and there was not yet flesh upon the earth
Moses 6:36 he beheld the spirits that God had created
Abr. 3:22 intelligences that were organized before the world was
Abr. 3:23 he stood among those that were spirits
Abr. 5:7 took his spirit ... and put it into him
See also Prov. 8:22–31; John 1:2, 14; 8:58; 16:28; 17:5, 24; 2 Tim. 1:9; Titus 1:2; 3 Ne. 1:13; 26:5; Ether 3:16.

(Topical Guide | M Man, Antemortal Existence of:Entry)

Spirit Body (see also Man, a Spirit Child of Heavenly Father; Man, Antemortal Existence of; Spirit Creation)
Num. 16:22 (27:16) God of the s. of all flesh
1 Kgs. 17:21 let this child's soul come into him again
Job 32:8 there is a s. in man
Eccl. 12:7 s. shall return unto God who gave it
Matt. 26:41 (Mark 14:38) s. indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak
Acts 23:9 if a s. or an angel hath spoken to him
1 Cor. 6:20 glorify God in your body, and in your s.
Heb. 12:9 (D&C 129:3) subjection unto the Father of s.
James 2:26 body without the s. is dead
1 Pet. 3:19 preached unto the s. in prison
1 Ne. 11:11 form of a man ... it was the S. of the Lord
2 Ne. 9:12 bodies and the s. of men will be restored
Mosiah 2:28 my immortal s. may join the choirs above
Alma 11:45 their s. uniting with their bodies
Ether 3:16 which ye now behold, is the body of my s.
Moro. 10:34 until my s. and body shall again reunite
D&C 45:17 (138:50) long absence of your s. from your bodies
D&C 76:73 s. of men kept in prison, whom the Son visited
D&C 77:2 s. of man in the likeness of his person
D&C 88:15 s. and the body are the soul of man
D&C 88:28 celestial s. shall receive the same body
D&C 88:100 s. of men who are to be judged
D&C 93:33 s. and element, inseparably connected
D&C 93:38 Every s. of man was innocent in the beginning
D&C 129:3 s. of just men made perfect ... not resurrected
D&C 130:22 Holy Ghost ... is a personage of s.
D&C 131:7 All s. is matter, but it is more fine or pure
Abr. 3:18 s. ... have no beginning: they existed before
Abr. 5:7 took his s. (that is, the man's s.)
See also Luke 1:47; 1 Cor. 2:10–11; 2 Cor. 4:16.

(Topical Guide | S Spirit Body:Entry)

and there are more 'take offs' in the Topical Guide entries you can also explore.

Joseph Smith received many revelations. Among them are these, which have long been published in the book, the 'Doctrines & Covenants'—

7 There is no such thing as immaterial matter. All spirit is matter, but it is more fine or pure, and can only be discerned by purer eyes;

8 We cannot see it; but when our bodies are purified we shall see that it is all matter.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 131:7 - 8)

And—

'Spirits,...have no beginning; they existed before, they shall have no end, they shall exist after, for they are gnolaum, or eternal.

(Pearl of Great Price | Abraham 3:18)

Hence, spirit is matter. And matter (like spirits) is/are eternal. It (like 'they') has/have always existed. And so, it/they always will. We cannot become non-existent.

The physical body may die. But it will sooner or later be resurrected.

Jesus has a physical body as a resurrected being—

36 ¶ And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

(New Testament | Luke 24:36 - 43)

And, it is again evident that God the Father also has a body as tangible as man's (since Jesus' body as a resurrected being was/is tangible like man's)—

16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

(New Testament | John 20:16 - 17)

He obviously reserved the first hugs for his Father who had indeed "given him" as a sacrifice for the world. And, one cannot imagine that the finer or purer matter of a spirit is necessarly 'huggable'. And, since Jesus had followed the Father's example (remember, he said, "I can do nothing save that which I see my Father do..."), then, it follows, his Father (God the Father) is a resurrected being, with flesh and bones, in a glorified state (since they have no blood, nor need of blood, they are incorruptilbe - meaning, they cannot/will not die again!

lunakilo

Lunokilo,

Reading your initial post in this thread (without reading any of the others), I must respond to your "wandering wonderings" using the little song from "The Sound of Music" when "Maria" and "the Captain" are singing to each other. One stanza in the song goes, "Nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever could" (so somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good).

I am LDS (Mormon), and we believe that the protology (what came before) of mankind (on this earth) was that we lived all as spirit 'children' of heavenly parents (Eliza R. Snow, 2nd General President of the LDS Church's (Female) Relief Society wrote - in an LDS hymn called "Oh My Father"), "In the heavens, are parents single? No, the thought, makes reason stare. Truth is reason, truth eternal, tells me I've a mother there...").

So I guess that is a vote for an eternal universe then (just using a lot of words to say it).

You don't find eternity hard to grasp?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
What does the phrase "eternity" mean ? Aside from the dictionary's explanation of the term.
What sets the term of the "endless" meaning of that term to mean other than "infinity" ?
Maybe we live, die, and spend our remaining "souls" in some sort of an endless bliss ?
~
I always think of "infinity" as meaning from the "beginning" to the absolute "end" of everything.
But how can that be, because we weren't there in the beginning, we are just barely here, in this "now".
How many eternities exist in infinity, what part of us was in the start of the birth of the "beginning" ?
We are just a minute part of the "now", and we will be a smaller part of tomorrow.
Just a speck after yesterday, a taste of "now", and a sample of tomorrow, a slight taste of the "is".
As I said, there are a lot of "eternities" in "infinity".
~
I think I'll just enjoy the "now", and let tomorrow do it's thing.
~
`mud

What does the phrase "eternity" mean ? Aside from the dictionary's explanation of the term.
What sets the term of the "endless" meaning of that term to mean other than "infinity" ?
Maybe we live, die, and spend our remaining "souls" in some sort of an endless bliss ?
~
I always think of "infinity" as meaning from the "beginning" to the absolute "end" of everything.
But how can that be, because we weren't there in the beginning, we are just barely here, in this "now".
How many eternities exist in infinity, what part of us was in the start of the birth of the "beginning" ?
We are just a minute part of the "now", and we will be a smaller part of tomorrow.
Just a speck after yesterday, a taste of "now", and a sample of tomorrow, a slight taste of the "is".
As I said, there are a lot of "eternities" in "infinity".
~
I think I'll just enjoy the "now", and let tomorrow do it's thing.
~
`mud

Hey `mud,

Maybe that's how eternal living begins.

Dance a bunch !!! :band::dan:

best of always yes,
swampy

If there was no beginning, how did it get to be now?
Perhaps now is always and needs no justification.

In any case,
it always is good to

dance a bunch !!!

best,
swampy