• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was the Son of God a Liar?

IndigoStorm

No, Jesus was not a liar.He mentioned "son of god" as per the Jewish usage in the OT. Christianity took it wrong being mythical. Please
Regards

Actually its nothing to do with him claiming to be the son of God. Why would someone who spent his 30 odd years on earth preaching about love and tolerance punish a fig tree for not bearing fruit?

Reggie Miller

Actually its nothing to do with him claiming to be the son of God. Why would someone who spent his 30 odd years on earth preaching about love and tolerance punish a fig tree for not bearing fruit?

You have to approach Jesus spiritually to even be able to begin to understand much of what He said and did. He told his disciples that He was speaking spiritually several times.

The fig tree was killed because the Son of God approached it looking for fruit much as He will approach us looking for fruit. If He finds no fruit the tree (i.e. us) will be thrown into the fire, as He said before.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Don't these quotes from Jesus prove that he was a liar?

1) And Jesus answered and said to them, “Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, `Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ it will happen. “And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.” (Matthew 21:21-22 NAS)

2) Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:7-8 NAB)

3) Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst. (Matthew 18:19-20 NAS)

4) Amen, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it shall be done for him. Therefore I tell you, all that you ask for in prayer, believe that you will receive it and it shall be yours. (Mark 11:24-25 NAB)

5) And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. (Luke 11:9-13 NAB)

6) And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13-14 NAB)

7) If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. (John 15:7 NAB)

8) It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. (John 15:16 NAB)

9) On that day you will not question me about anything. Amen, amen, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you. Until now you have not asked anything in my name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete. (John 16:23-24 NAB)

He spent His ministry speaking in parable and metaphor.
it is likely the above quotations are again.....a measure to something else