• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was the Son of God a Liar?

IndigoStorm

Don't these quotes from Jesus prove that he was a liar?

1) And Jesus answered and said to them, “Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, `Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ it will happen. “And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.” (Matthew 21:21-22 NAS)

2) Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:7-8 NAB)

3) Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst. (Matthew 18:19-20 NAS)

4) Amen, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it shall be done for him. Therefore I tell you, all that you ask for in prayer, believe that you will receive it and it shall be yours. (Mark 11:24-25 NAB)

5) And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. (Luke 11:9-13 NAB)

6) And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13-14 NAB)

7) If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. (John 15:7 NAB)

8) It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. (John 15:16 NAB)

9) On that day you will not question me about anything. Amen, amen, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you. Until now you have not asked anything in my name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete. (John 16:23-24 NAB)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

1) And Jesus answered and said to them, “Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, `Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ it will happen. “And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.” (Matthew 21:21-22 NAS)

2) Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:7-8 NAB)

3) Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst. (Matthew 18:19-20 NAS)

4) Amen, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it shall be done for him. Therefore I tell you, all that you ask for in prayer, believe that you will receive it and it shall be yours. (Mark 11:24-25 NAB)

5) And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. (Luke 11:9-13 NAB)

6) And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13-14 NAB)

7) If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. (John 15:7 NAB)

8) It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. (John 15:16 NAB)

9) On that day you will not question me about anything. Amen, amen, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you. Until now you have not asked anything in my name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete. (John 16:23-24 NAB)
Dunno. He could've just been misquoted. Personally, I don't consider the Bible reliable.

Kemosloby

Premium Member

Who really believes with no doubt the mountain is going to get up and jump into the sea if they tell it to? I think I got a fish once by praying and quit smoking by praying,

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
What conflicting messages: If you would just believe hard enough, you can do anything! But wait, it doesn't matter how hard you try, because I have chosen you to believe! But it's YOUR FAULT that you don't believe enough! But if you remember me and think of me and believe in me, then you can do anything! And clearly, if you don't think you can toss a mountain into the sea, then you don't really believe, because if you did really believe, you'd be able to do that...etc., etc., etc.

I suspect someone else put words into his mouth, or changed any words that were actually spoken.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
What conflicting messages: If you would just believe hard enough, you can do anything! But wait, it doesn't matter how hard you try, because I have chosen you to believe! But it's YOUR FAULT that you don't believe enough! But if you remember me and think of me and believe in me, then you can do anything! And clearly, if you don't think you can toss a mountain into the sea, then you don't really believe, because if you did really believe, you'd be able to do that...etc., etc., etc.

I suspect someone else put words into his mouth, or changed any words that were actually spoken.

In the bible the Apostles prayed pretty hard when they prayed, prayer and fasting for long periods of time, Even into a trance sometimes. Maybe we're not trying hard enough or have no need to move the mountain.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Edit

There is a parable of Lazarath that clears up all that. Jesus rose Lazareth from the dead. The disciples asked if that is what they can do too. Jesus said if you have FAITH you can move mountains. Jesus had faith and the analogy of waking the dead was an example of the amount of faith one must have to plesse god. Likewise, he says the only way to please the father is by faith just as jesus.

On that note, those verses are examples of faith not actual moving mountainsband raising dead. Jesus emphasis this in many ways.

Maybe mainstream christianity is influencing you towards sola scriptura but scripture doesnt promote literal interpretation of scripture. So, maybe reread it crom that point of view and Lazeraths story among Galations and Hebrews, youd see he empasis on faith.

With that, of course raising the dead is something huge that christians strive to do. But understanx he also said you have faith of a mustard seed.

Faith also has to do with action. While jesus is "said to" cure the sick and walk on water, these are actions he tells his followers they can do. But like ither eastern traditions he doesnt mean actually walking on water and curing the sick.

There is a lot of meaning behind scripture.

omega2xx

Of course not. All prayers to God have one thing in common---not my will but Yours be done.

Mt 26:36b...My Father ifis is possible, let this cup pass from Me, yet not as I will but as Your will.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Its figurative, and he's making good points. For example anyone can move a mountain no matter how small the shovel if they just keep digging.

This is not what they told me in Sunday school, so I grasp what the OP is saying. In Sunday school they told me that literally I should be able to tell a mountain to move.

Reggie Miller

Its figurative, and he's making good points. For example anyone can move a mountain no matter how small the shovel if they just keep digging.

This is not what they told me in Sunday school, so I grasp what the OP is saying. In Sunday school they told me that literally I should be able to tell a mountain to move.

Sir, you misunderstood the lesson. You cannot move the mountain because of your lack of faith. You need Jesus to be able to do anything good. That is the lesson, short version.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Sir, you misunderstood the lesson. You cannot move the mountain because of your lack of faith. You need Jesus to be able to do anything good. That is the lesson, short version.
Interesting idea. Maybe it will germinate.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No, Jesus was not a liar.He mentioned "son of god" as per the Jewish usage in the OT. Christianity took it wrong being mythical. Please
Regards

IndigoStorm

Now that's what tees for off about Christians. When they can't answer a question then they say: "You have to understand that its figurative."

So how much other stuff is figurative? Please give me all those figurative quotes so that I can decipher the books of the bible correctly.

When Jesus walks on water is that figurative? When he changes water into wine? When god parts the red sea? Figurative? Someone earlier the old testament is simply a history of Judaism. Seriously?