• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Muhammad a good man?

What is your opinion on Muhammad?

• He was a great man and those who insult him must be punished!

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • He was a great man, but people are free to insult him

Votes: 47 21.9%
  • He was not a good man, but we should respect him because I believe in respecting other religions

Votes: 23 10.7%
  • He was a terrible man and we should condemn his awful actions!

Votes: 85 39.5%

• Total voters

Farah

Kassault! First of all we have to be careful not to mix our culture with our religion! Do you know how many wife's Solomon, Lamech, Abraham, David...in bible had?? And not only in the bible or quran, even the god of Hindus...anyway my point is that polygamy is not only allowed in Islam but the only world religion that is not changed by human is the Islam ! Why did God allow polygamy in the Old Testament? The Bible does not specifically say why God allowed polygamy. As we speculate about God’s silence, there are a few key factors to consider. First, there have always been more women in the world than men. Current statistics show that approximately 50.5 percent of the world population are women, with men being 49.5 percent. Assuming the same percentages in ancient times, and multiplied by millions of people, there would be tens of thousands more women than men. Second, warfare in ancient times was especially brutal, with an incredibly high rate of fatality. This would have resulted in an even greater percentage of women to men. Third, due to patriarchal societies, it was nearly impossible for an unmarried woman to provide for herself. Women were often uneducated and untrained. Women relied on their fathers, brothers, and husbands for provision and protection. Unmarried women were often subjected to prostitution and slavery. The significant difference between the number of women and men would have left many, many women in an undesirable situation. Polygamy protects the woman! In many country's like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria... Woman need a man to help them and protect them! The quran dsnt say you have to have 4wifes, it says u can only if you manage to treat them absolutely equal and that is very very difficult, which means not a lot of men can do it, so from islamic view they are not allowed if they can't practise the condition! Dnt mix up the action of Muslim people with Islam !

Farah

The quran is not a book of details, for example it says pray 5 times a day but not how... According to us shia people we take the details from the Hadith of the prophet which is his sayings (we dnt agree that bukhari or Muslim are 100% sahee) and we go further and take the details from his 12 descendants, we believe that the actual vice grant of the prophet "Ali", the son innlaw and the cousin of the prophet was! We dnt believe in Wahhabis, who say sucide is allowed if u kill unbelievers or any other act of violent unless it's self defending ! Islam means peace and all those who act in the name of Islam by killing people will die as an unbeliever !

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Actually, in the first place, Islam limits the number of wives before it is allowing to have many!

I don't think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that there is any other religion that limits and controls the number of wives to a maximum of four, or to only one wife if no justice can be done to an extra wife!

To my very limited knowledge, again, please correct me if I'm wrong, all other religions by default allow unlimited number of wives and says nothing, again, as far as I know only, about justice towards wives!

I'm 31 and not married yet, simply because I know I cannot properly provide to a wife, which would be unjust to her :(

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Actually, in the first place, Islam limits the number of wives before it is allowing to have many!

I don't think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that there is any other religion that limits and controls the number of wives to a maximum of four, or to only one wife if no justice can be done to an extra wife!

To my very limited knowledge, again, please correct me if I'm wrong, all other religions by default allow unlimited number of wives and says nothing, again, as far as I know only, about justice towards wives!

I'm 31 and not married yet, simply because I know I cannot properly provide to a wife, which would be unjust to her :(

Must religions only allow you to marry one person in the first place and divorce is discouraged, if not outright banned like in Catholicism. So, no - no religion I know of allows you to have an unlimited number of wives except maybe fundamentalist Mormonism.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Must religions only allow you to marry one person in the first place and divorce is discouraged, if not outright banned like in Catholicism. So, no - no religion I know of allows you to have an unlimited number of wives except maybe fundamentalist Mormonism.

What about girlfriends ?
How many girls one allowed to have sexual relationship without marriage ?
"Non religion" i guess will win,you are free,no limits.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Must religions only allow you to marry one person in the first place and divorce is discouraged, if not outright banned like in Catholicism.

How's it going Frank :)

Islam is not limiting the number of wives to one for no reason, it is doing it to protect her rights, and divorce is not discouraged per se, but also to protect the rights of children of any, and to encourage reconciliation between the spouses!

And yeah, I don't agree with completely banning marriage!

So, no - no religion I know of allows you to have an unlimited number of wives except maybe fundamentalist Mormonism.

My impression is because no other religion controls the number of wives one way or another, they by default allow unlimited number of wives!

Moishe3rd

Yehudi

Christianity only allows one wife.
Judaism, by a decree in the 11th Century, only allowed one wife for Ashkenazic (European) Jews. Sephardic Jew have by and large accepted this decree by the 21st Century but - there is discussion whether or not Sephardic Jews are allowed to have more than one wife under Jewish Law.
As there are different opinions, it is required by Jewish Law that Sephardic Jews follow the laws of the country in which they reside in this particular case.

Farah

Frankenstein , the must religion as u say is changing from time to time by people, as I heard nowadays a woman can become a priest, or homosexual people can get married in some churches... We believe that there is 4 books sent down by God, but why do you think it stopped with the Quran ? Because the quran is still the same quran from 1400 years ago and prophet muhamad was the seal of the prophethood !

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Christianity only allows one wife.
Judaism, by a decree in the 11th Century, only allowed one wife for Ashkenazic (European) Jews. Sephardic Jew have by and large accepted this decree by the 21st Century but - there is discussion whether or not Sephardic Jews are allowed to have more than one wife under Jewish Law.
As there are different opinions, it is required by Jewish Law that Sephardic Jews follow the laws of the country in which they reside in this particular case.

Thank you for the heads up!

This information is valuable!

Maldini

Frankenstein , the must religion as u say is changing from time to time by people, as I heard nowadays a woman can become a priest, or homosexual people can get married in some churches... We believe that there is 4 books sent down by God, but why do you think it stopped with the Quran ? Because the quran is still the same quran from 1400 years ago and prophet muhamad was the seal of the prophethood !

WORNG!!!!!!!!

in early days after Mohammad's death there many versions of Qur'an, but Third Khalifa Osman gathered them all and burned all versions of Qur'an except the one he chose to be the true Qur'an.

As Mohammad claims!!

Farah

Maldini, When the Noble Quran was revealed to Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, it was revealed in Arabic, and in the Quraishi dialect. The Quraishi dialect is the most proper Arabic dialect that properly uses the Arabic words without altering their sound. They didn't have different version of the holy book, they had 7 different dialects !!!
The Noble Quran during the times of our beloved Prophet peace be upon him was carefully preserved and protected from man's corruption. It was documented and it was entirely memorized by many. BTW who ever burns the Quran will burn in hell!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
How's it going Frank :)

I'm good. You?

Islam is not limiting the number of wives to one for no reason, it is doing it to protect her rights, and divorce is not discouraged per se, but also to protect the rights of children of any, and to encourage reconciliation between the spouses!

What I'm saying is that the other religions generally uphold monogamy. You're not allow to have more than one spouse.

And yeah, I don't agree with completely banning marriage!

That's not what I said. I meant that some religions ban divorce. For example, divorce is not allowed or recognized in Catholicism since marriage is viewed as a sacrament that cannot be broken.

My impression is because no other religion controls the number of wives one way or another, they by default allow unlimited number of wives!

No, that's not it at all.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

I don't believe in your god and all religions are man-made.

mahasn ebn sawresho

<Was Muhammad a good man?>
this
is big Question--
if i want to say any opinion yes or no --
i must get the reason to my opinion ---

therefore i am
I give to you the behavior of the man <mohammad> - in his life --
Without telling him a prophet -----
Because we do not discuss the prophecy, but the dialogue is the behavior of Muhammad in his life--

i am beginning in
the
Invasions which were under the command of mohammad
History writes about many invasions over 13 foray and...Mohammed did not prevent wars, but contributed to it ---
He was a leader -
The reason is to spread the religion wars
So he did not prevent the war offensive--
The texts of the Koran is full of these verses ---
the second --
Mohammed did not prevent the spoils in the wars ---
The women were from the spoils are divided among the victors
The Jewish wife, whom he married Muhammad known after the murder of her husband

mahasn ebn sawresho

Murder of orders issued by Mohammed killed 500 Jews are slaughtered ---
And their wives took their money and the spoils of war ---Do you accept such behavior ----
In wars ----
It did not prevent wars ---
Is used to spread his ideas -
It did not prevent the spoils ---
Leave you opinion