• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus servant of God?

Was he servant of God?

• Yes he was

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No way, i believe Jesus is god

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I didn't vote because I tend to think that Jesus saw himself as more a "messenger" for God but not likely that he believed he was God. I have a very hard time picturing Jews following a guy who would claim to be God. If I say "I am God", would you believe me? I think our natural impulse to such a statement is "Ya-- right!" [said sarcastically with a growl and a snarl].

However, I do believe Jesus did likely exist as there were too many people involved just 2+ decades later that could account for his existence even if the narratives got altered and his image enhanced over those decades. The irony is that no matter what one may think of him, he would be appropriate for the era in regards to where Judaism was at then. Because of various influences from the outside of eretz Israel, there were movements of various types in motion, and there were numerous divisions amongst Jews. How many Jesus-types emerged over a couple of centuries about then are undoubtedly impossible to cite because the others probably should have paid to hire a better agent. ;)

rusra02

Premium Member
When Allah raised up his servant, Jesus. (Acts 3:26)
Yes, I believe Jesus is and will always be Jehovah's servant. As the context of Acts 3:26 shows, Jesus is also "the Christ appointed for you, Jesus. Heaven must hold this one within itself until the times of restoration of all things of which God spoke through the mouth of his holy prophets of old. In fact, Moses said: ‘Jehovah your God will raise up for you from among your brothers a prophet like me. You must listen to whatever he tells you. Indeed, anyone who does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people.’ " (Acts 3:20-23) Jesus is the true offspring of Abraham and ‘ by means of [that] offspring all the families of the earth will be blessed.' (Verse 25)

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Billions of people believe that Jesus is God and that he loves mankind.

But when he could have acted to benefit man he failed.

That’s why I think Jesus is a fraud. His story is just fiction.

Have you considered the possibility that Jesus wasn't/isn't God (and therefore not capable of acting in all of the ways you have outlined to benefit humankind)?

Jesus’ inaction just proves that if he ever was, he died, and we never heard from him again.

How does his inaction (on the various fronts you have outlined) prove this?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes, I believe Jesus is and will always be Jehovah's servant. As the context of Acts 3:26 shows, Jesus is also "the Christ appointed for you, Jesus. Heaven must hold this one within itself until the times of restoration of all things of which God spoke through the mouth of his holy prophets of old. In fact, Moses said: ‘Jehovah your God will raise up for you from among your brothers a prophet like me. You must listen to whatever he tells you. Indeed, anyone who does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people.’ " (Acts 3:20-23) Jesus is the true offspring of Abraham and ‘ by means of [that] offspring all the families of the earth will be blessed.' (Verse 25)

I believe I will have a little fun with you. I don't believe Jesus is a prophet like Moses. He did not lead his people into the promised land because they refused to follow Him. However as God is apt to do, He has a remnant for Himself.

arthra

Baha'i
When Allah raised up his servant, Jesus. (Acts 3:26)

It's always a good idea to quote the context of verses in this case Acts 3:26... So let's do that:

24 “Indeed, beginning with Samuel, all the prophets who have spoken have foretold these days. 25 And you are heirs of the prophets and of the covenant God made with your fathers. He said to Abraham, ‘Through your offspring all peoples on earth will be blessed." 26 When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways.”

So it alludes to "all the prophets who have spoken have foretold these days" and it mentions "the covenant God made with your fathers". Those are important concepts. The covenant mentioned goes back to a prophecy mentioned to Abraham: Genesis 22:18 "...and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me.” and further elaborated in Genesis 26:4 where the Covenant is elaborated: I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspringa" all nations on earth will be blessed,b]">[b] 5 because Abraham obeyed me and did everything I required of him, keeping my commands, my decrees and my instructions.”

In the Gospel of Mark Jesus announces His station as a Servant:

10:43 But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister: 10:44 And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all.
10:45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

At the same time Who was"chiefest" and in the context of His time even in the role of a Servant He perfectly obeyed Him and followed His commandments, decrees and instructions. To those around Him He would be close to God and represented the Divine Summons.