• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus Crucified?

Darren0803

According to chapter 4 of the Qur'an Jesus was not killed or crucified as follows:
Qur'an 4:157 And for their saying, "Indeed, we killed the Messiah, Isa, son (of) Maryam, (the) Messenger (of) Allah." And not they killed him and not they crucified him but it was made to appear (so) to them. And indeed, those who differ in it (are) surely in doubt about it. Not for them about it [of] (any) knowledge except (the) following (of) assumption. And not they killed him, certainly.
(Translation - Word for Word: Dr. Shehnaz Shaikh, Ms. Kauser Katri, and more)
Firstly according to verse 157 the Jews were boosting about killing Jesus by crucifixion, then Allah claims they did not kill him or crucify Jesus.
Secondly it was made to appear to the Jews that Jesus was killed and crucified.
Thirdly the Qur'an claims those differing over the death and crucifixion of Jesus are in doubt, have no knowledge of the event, and are following assumptions.
Fifthly the Qur'an clarifies the Jews did not kill Jesus.
Question:
Who is differing over the death and crucifixion of Jesus, who is in doubt, and who is making assumptions over the event?

Wandering Monk

If Jesus was actually a legitimate claimant to the throne of David and his movement was seen as a threat to Roman control over the region, I am certain that Rome would have crucified him even if they needed to create a pretext for doing so.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste. :praying: Greetings and salutations.

Welcome to the forum.

Who is differing over the death and crucifixion of Jesus, who is in doubt, and who is making assumptions over the event?
Views on how Jesus died will vary based on scriptural accounts. I would suggest reading any available and forming your own opinion.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
According to chapter 4 of the Qur'an Jesus was not killed or crucified as follows:
Qur'an 4:157 And for their saying, "Indeed, we killed the Messiah, Isa, son (of) Maryam, (the) Messenger (of) Allah." And not they killed him and not they crucified him but it was made to appear (so) to them. And indeed, those who differ in it (are) surely in doubt about it. Not for them about it [of] (any) knowledge except (the) following (of) assumption. And not they killed him, certainly.
Firstly according to verse 157 the Jews were boosting about killing Jesus by crucifixion, then Allah claims they did not kill him or crucify Jesus.
Thirdly the Qur'an claims those differing over the death and crucifixion of Jesus are in doubt, have no knowledge of the event, and are following assumptions.
Question:
I don't believe in Christian scriptures or the Quran so this thread is not for me

But I would like to take the opportunity to welcome you to these forums since you are new here

So welcome!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Having studied Roman history of the time i would say a Yeshua was crucified. However to me that crucifixion shows he was not as described in the bible. Rome had several methods of execution for different crimes, crucifixion being just one and reserved for traitors and terrorists to Rome.

Darren0803

Having studied Roman history of the time i would say a Yeshua was crucified. However to me that crucifixion shows he was not as described in the bible. Rome had several methods of execution for different crimes, crucifixion being just one and reserved for traitors and terrorists to Rome.
Please provide some details.

Colt

Question:
Yes, the gospels record Jesus being found guilty of blasphemy by the Sanhedrin and handed over to the Roman occupying force for crucifixion. Roughly 3 days later Jesus returned in a new form. Over a period of a month The Son of God met with a number of people before returning to his place in heaven. pouring out his spirit upon ALL flesh around the world.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Please provide some details.

My view on Jesus.

And a big welcome to RF. Enjoy.

1298901153_1e3e1c4e06_b.jpg

Darren0803

Hi Darren and welcome to RF.

According to Ahmadi Islam ,
"Jesus is thought to have died a natural death in India.[1][2][3][4] Jesus lived to old age and later died in Srinagar, Kashmir, and his tomb is presently located at the Roza Bal shrine.[1][2][3]"

Full article at Jesus in Ahmadiyya Islam - Wikipedia
Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes the Ahmadi sect do. So the Qur'an is ironically addressing the Muslims. Some Muslims come up with the swoon theory, Substitution theory, belief that Judus Iscariot was killed instead of Jesus.
Who? Anyone who is relying on faith and/or accepting the "New Testament" as unimpeachable evidence.

BTW: Shalom and welcome.
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Last edited:

Darren0803

You are entitled to your beliefs. But on what grounds are you make the assumptions. Also by which name do you call him by, Jeshua'?

Non-religious contemporary (and almost contemporary) sources also claim that the crucification was a symbolic act common with Jesus's Nazarene sect (of which he is said to have been a leader, so "INRI" was even true to some extent), and the "resurrection" was basically the end of his coma, of which he recovered and taught wisdom until he died in his 70s.

Colt

Question:
It’s a telling sort of thing, the Jews remain vehemently opposed to Jesus as Messiah while the Romans eventually adopted him!