• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus a Virgin?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Was Jesus a virgin?

What puzzles me is this:

Suppose he was a virgin. If so, then wasn't his understanding of humanity limited?

Suppose he was not a virgin. If so, then wasn't his virginity lost out of wedlock?

I'm not sure how this can be resolved....

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Maybe Jesus got married but they didn't mention it in scripture to keep the illusion of celibacy?

Interesting. Do you know whether any of the Gnostic gospels suggest Jesus was married?

I seem to recall at least one of the Gnostic gospels suggests that he had a very close relationship with Marry Magdalene. I think that was either the Gospel of Thomas or the Gospel of Peter.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It might be interesting ...but not important.
He did not start his ministry till his thirties.
I don't even know what the norm was for young Jewish boys at that time.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It might be interesting ...but not important.
He did not start his ministry till his thirties.
I don't even know what the norm was for young Jewish boys at that time.

But doesn't it delve to the heart of Christian sexual morals?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Interesting. Do you know whether any of the Gnostic gospels suggest Jesus was married?

I seem to recall at least one of the Gnostic gospels suggests that he had a very close relationship with Marry Magdalene. I think that was either the Gospel of Thomas or the Gospel of Peter.
Not a clue. Twas merely speculation. :D

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
Was Jesus a virgin?

What puzzles me is this:

Suppose he was a virgin. If so, then wasn't his understanding of humanity limited?

Suppose he was not a virgin. If so, then wasn't his virginity lost out of wedlock?

The Bible is limited. It doesn't say Jesus wasn't married; it also doesn't say he was. The "apostle" Paul was radically anti-sex and practically anti-marriage, and his views carried over into the modern church.

But if you look at historical fact: in order to be a successful Rabbi at the time of Jesus' supposed life you would have had to have been married. So it is strongly likely that Jesus was in fact married.

If you look at the gnostic texts Mary Magdalene was very important to Jesus' life (doesn't say they were married), and so I have always assumed that they were married. Why a prostitute? Well suppose you had a bunch of men who felt slighted by the fact that Mary got told some religious truth they did not by virtue of her being one of Jesus' most trusted confidants (this is written in the gnostic gospels). Well if she was his wife this would make more sense in why that would happen, but the important thing is to realize that the disciples and the later apostle Paul might very well have decided that a "slight" of that sort could not go unaddressed.

So in a few hundreds years it goes from she is such a **** to "canonical" she was a whore that Jesus felt sorry for and got dragged around. A Rabbi lets a whore off the street wash his feet... I don't think so.

I'm not confidant Jesus existed. I think it is likely he did. If he did I would posit a 50% likelihood that Mary Magdalene actually was his wife. In the event that she was not I still consider the likelihood that Jesus was unmarried to be about .1%. Literally that is a 1 in a thousand chance. How would he have successfully attracted disciples if they did not view him as a godly man who does his duty to be fruitful and multiply?

MTF

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Was Jesus a virgin?

What puzzles me is this:

he never got married and adhered to the standard of Gods word, there is no reason to suggest otherwise.

Why would sex increase a humans understanding of themselves or others?

rusra02

Premium Member
Was Jesus a virgin?

What puzzles me is this:

Yes, Jesus was a virgin. He kept God's law perfectly, and fornication is against God's law. As to his understanding of humanity, Jesus has insight into men's hearts and minds that no one else has, except God. Speaking of the one who became Jesus Christ, John 1:3 explains "All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence." He lived in heaven with his Father, Jehovah, for untold aeons of time. (John 1:2)He has seen mankind from their beginning and all that has occurred since. No one knows mankind better than Jesus and his Father.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Was Jesus a virgin?

What puzzles me is this:

He seemed to have a lack of sense of separation that meant he lacked the genuine temptation to egoism that is the ordinary human experience. The whole thing is invalid therefore and I demand a do-over.

DarkSun

:eltiT
Was Jesus a virgin?

What puzzles me is this:

You don't have to experience something yourself to understand it. Especially if one of your attributes is supposed to be omnipotence.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
he never got married and adhered to the standard of Gods word, there is no reason to suggest otherwise.

Why would sex increase a humans understanding of themselves or others?
Because we are sexual beings, and our identity seems wrapped up in our sexual identity.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
God's not a sexual being...
God is frequently a sexual being. Even in Christianity God impregnates Mary, is fixated on the need for her to be "virgin" and needs to sire his own son through this sexually pure woman for the purpose of carrying out his plan.

In that regard, he's not unlike many other gods, who have sex with each other, with humans, raise families, are projected to have all the sexual complications of human life, etc.

sojourner

Yes, Jesus was a virgin. He kept God's law perfectly, and fornication is against God's law. As to his understanding of humanity, Jesus has insight into men's hearts and minds that no one else has, except God. Speaking of the one who became Jesus Christ, John 1:3 explains "All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence." He lived in heaven with his Father, Jehovah, for untold aeons of time. (John 1:2)He has seen mankind from their beginning and all that has occurred since. No one knows mankind better than Jesus and his Father.
Why? Why would Jesus have to be a virgin? People married quite young then, and if the gospels are concerned about his ministry, they wouldn't be any more concerned about his family than about his bowel habits. We're not told that Jesus ever defecated, either. Does that mean he didn't???:faint:

(We need a Mr. Hanky emoticon...)

sojourner

doppelgänger;2581164 said:
God is frequently a sexual being. Even in Christianity God impregnates Mary, is fixated on the need for her to be "virgin" and needs to sire his own son through this sexually pure woman for the purpose of carrying out his plan.

In that regard, he's not unlike many other gods, who have sex with each other, with humans, raise families, are projected to have all the sexual complications of human life, etc.
Wrong! We're told that a virgin would conceive. Doesn't have anything to do with a sexual act. In fact, the stress on her virginity would seem to argue against the sex act. In order for God to become one of us, God would have to have experienced human gestation and birth.

Your spin is nothing more than a cheap attempt at provocation.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
But doesn't it delve to the heart of Christian sexual morals?
Christian morals are what you make of them.
The victorians tried to make them universal when it came to sex.
The 60's took them in reverse.

I suspect God has never been consulted......