• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was I ever a Christian?

Was I ever a Christian???

• No, I think you were ever a Christian.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nehustan

Ok, I was not baptised when I was born. At my religious schools I was brought up in a Christian environment, I felt a definite affinity to Jesus as a teacher and an example, and decided to become confirmed, and thus baptised on the same day when I was thirteen. In my confirmation classes I had issues with Trinity (i.e. the Nicean Creed), but was told that if I believed in what Jesus himself had taught, then that was the most important factor, and that the nature of Trinity was a mystery anyway, so I was merely being honest to bring up my doubts.

23 years later, I still feel I have the same relationship I had with Christ as a young boy. I have recanted in writing (some years ago) my declaration of the Nicean creed, I do not take sacrament, in fact I rarely even enter a church.

My question is this, was I ever a Christian? Having now reverted back to Islam I find that the teachings of the Quran are much more in tune with what I originally believed. Of course aged 13 I hadn't read the Quran, traditions of the prophet, and subsequent commentaries, but the Islamic concept of Tawheed is really where I started out from. This is known as Fitrah in Islam. I am quite glad of all the Christian Education, but I find that I think I was never a Christian...what do you think?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
You may have been or may not have been.

Only you know the answer to that.

I'm leaning towards no...(you asked)...but it's not really my place to label you, spiritually.

I feel that...

To be a Christian is to truly desire Christ...to acknowledge Him as Saviour and to desire to live by His teachings. A Christian experiences the rebirth...where their old life is literally laid to rest and they pick up their own cross, so to speak, to follow Christ...accepting that their lives are not really their own...but God Almighty's and God's plan for our salvation was to accept or acknowledge Christ's sacrifice for our sins.

I think many Christians go through dry spells...where they feel less connected Spiritually but from personal experience...I never lose sight of who He is to me and how precious His sacrifice for my benefit was/is.

SoyLeche

meh...
I don't know if I'm in a place to say - after all, I'm a memeber of an evil cult :fork:

I tend to define Christianity very broadly - If you believe (or in your case ever believed) that Christ is the Messiah, you are (or were) Christian. I'd even open it up to someone who follows the teachings of Christ but doesn't necesarily believe he was the Messiah. Basically, if you want to be known as Christian, who am I to say you aren't (or weren't, as the case may be). Heck, maybe you still are a Christian :)

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
MaddLlama said:
It depends on how narrowly or inclusively you want to define "Christian".
I agree, first define what is Christian in a way that all people will agree on.

To me, if you follow Christ's teachings, and call yourself Christian then... you are/were.

Nehustan

To kind of address both Soy's, Halycon's ,and Dawny's posts.

I do think that Jesus was the Messiah to the Jews, and subsequently a light to the Gentiles. I do try to follow the teachings, I find therein no real contradiction, tho' I'm a bit bad at 'the other cheek' part and 'forgiving' but then I have good company with many people who would definately say they are Christians in that (i.e. George W both a Governor of TX, and as President). I was taught that Jesus died on the cross, so that is what I believed, but frankly I do not need that to believe in the validity of his teachings, or to accept the cross in Aegypt upon which he was spiritually crucified. If I do choose to bear a cross it is that one rather than that of Golgotha. I think that the crux (unintentional pun) here is the Nicean Creed, which I did not and do not now believe in. By my reckoning I was always a Muslim.

SoyLeche

meh...
Nehustan said:
To kind of address both Soy's, Halycon's ,and Dawny's posts.

I do think that Jesus was the Messiah to the Jews, and subsequently a light to the Gentiles. I do try to follow the teachings, I find therein no real contradiction, tho' I'm a bit bad at 'the other cheek' part and 'forgiving' but then I have good company with many people who would definately say they are Christians in that (i.e. George W both a Governor of TX, and as President). I was taught that Jesus died on the cross, so that is what I believed, but frankly I do not need that to believe in the validity of his teachings, or to accept the cross in Aegypt upon which he was spiritually crucified. If I do choose to bear a cross it is that one rather than that of Golgotha. I think that the crux (unintentional pun) here is the Nicean Creed, which I did not and do not now believe in. By my reckoning I was always a Muslim.
Join the club. And, yes, I do consider myself a Christian.

kai

ragamuffin
i think only you will know the answer in your heart but , but my opinion based on what you have said and the little i know of Islam is that you were always a Muslim.
(and thank you for the frubals friend)

evearael

If you truly feel at home in Islam, I would say you've always been one at heart and that you were a Christian insofar as it agreed with your personal beliefs.

Nehustan

Thanks for confirming what I thought already. I have had one 'Yes, but not any more traitor!!!' vote. Amusingly it was from an agnostic. Humour me thinks.