• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Gandhi the most Christian of humans in recent times?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'd be most interested to hear about others :)

Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Sai Baba, to name a few other renowned Hindus.

How about we name an atheist? John Lennon. An atheist I have no problem calling a true man of God.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
There was a remake?

Yeah, and it was mediocre.

They updated the look to be more punk than hippie, which is fine. The side characters are all great, and I think the woman who played Mary Magdallen was incredible: better than in the original IMO.

However, the guys playing Jesus, Judas, Pilate, and Caiaphas were mediocre.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I read recently the view that despite not being a Christian Gandhi's behaviour establishes him as the most Christ-like and therefore the most Christian person of the twentieth century.
What do you think?

It also happens to make him a very good Hindu. Of course, Hindus like to claim that Jesus was a Hindu :p

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's always interesting to see someone use "Christian" in the old fashion sense of the word. This thread title reminds me of how people used the word back when I was a child. Back then -- and "back then" is a long time ago -- "Christian" might refer to, among other meanings, a person with exemplary morals who was humble and modest regarding their virtues and who was especially interested in treating people fairly and with respect for them as persons.

Things change. Christian no longer has that meaning for most people. Several years ago, a then 80 year old woman said to me, "Remember when Christian meant Christian?", and I knew what she meant. But that was the most recent time someone has in person -- in the offline world -- used that word to mean someone marked special for their virtues. No one else uses that word that way these days.

Some time ago, James Dobson sneered at the notion that Christians could be people marked for their virtue. He's on record saying that he and his followers would put an end to that meaning for Christian, and that instead they would show the world Christians had "fists of iron".

I think Dobson -- with help from others like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson -- largely got what he wanted. He and his movement redefined what it meant to be a Christian in America.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I've seen it several times.

The question still stands.

Okay.

He taught revolutionary ideas at the time for that period. I thought that seeing the film several times would be enough to teach that. (I do consider it true to the story.)

A man doesn't have to be perfect to be great.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd take issue with the conflation of "christlike" and "Christian."

Interesting etymological observation, Sunstone. Reminds me of a French expression: "that's not very Christian of him" meaning not very nice or fair.

Smoke

Done here.
Some time ago, James Dobson sneered at the notion that Christians could be people marked for their virtue. He's on record saying that he and his followers would put an end to that meaning for Christian, and that instead they would show the world Christians had "fists of iron".
For what it's worth, I don't think Christianity ever was as virtuous as Christians thought it was. But they've certainly given up any pretense.

Smoke

Done here.
Are you trying to tell me their are people who are not Hindu:thud:
I guess now we'll need a thread defining "Hindu." :)

I've mentioned this before, but I had a Hindu student who used to chastise me for eating meat. I told her some Buddhists eat meat and some don't. She responded that Hindus don't eat meat, and Buddhists are really Hindus, so it's wrong for Buddhists to eat meat. :D

Of course, I know Hindus who eat meat, as far as that goes, but I enjoyed her argument.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
For what it's worth, I don't think Christianity ever was as virtuous as Christians thought it was. But they've certainly given up any pretense.

I agree that Christianity in general was never much good at encouraging virtuous behavior. But there have always been a few people here and there, who call themselves Christian, and who were pretty virtuous people.

footprints

I read recently the view that despite not being a Christian Gandhi's behaviour establishes him as the most Christ-like and therefore the most Christian person of the twentieth century.
What do you think?

I wouldn't personally say that, I would put Gandhi in the same league as many other good christians in the world, and he certainly did display christian values when he defeated the British without firing a shot and turning the other cheek. Made the English appear like right ars*holes, which of course they were at the time. Ghandi gave more credit to the Great Prophet Muhammad, than he did to Jesus.

Personally I would say the Dalai Lama was the most Christ like person on Earth. More so because the Dalai Lama is enlightened. All enlightened people are in the same image.

Wannabe Yogi

I agree that Christianity in general was never much good at encouraging virtuous behavior. But there have always been a few people here and there, who call themselves Christian, and who were pretty virtuous people.

The Quakers are one group of Christians that have a long history of producing virtuous people. They are very Gandhi like.

Wannabe Yogi

I've seen it several times.

The question still stands.

I do not know how to answer your questions since you do not believe he ever existed. So let me take a shot in the dark.

Let us excluded all the miracles and visions and keep to the nuts and bolts of his human behavior.

In Jesus' day men were what counted. Jesus talked to women and treated females with more respect then other men did in that culture.

Jesus showed respect to people who had a low status in life.

Folks who were of a outside race who were treated bad by the powers that be, Jesus was kind to them.

He liked children.

He stood up against the man.

When they killed him he was very brave.

He was a long hair

Jesus was a stand up guy.