• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want Unity? You have only 2 options to achieve it

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I mean that facts are typically agreed upon. Not that something being agreed upon makes it fact. There isn't some big mystery of what is and what isn't facts. That is a pushed narrative that can easily be overcome with some critical thinking skills.

My views on religions and what they are differ from the conventional. Is Christianity a fact? It is a fact that it exists and it serves a function in our society. Does it make the metaphysical claims facts? Sadly it does not.

Well, I am glad that we can't prove metaphysical claims. That allows for human diversity. :)

Friend of Mara

Well, I am glad that we can't prove metaphysical claims. That allows for human diversity. :)
I agree. It was just a turn of phrase when I said "sadly". Religious experience is an internal revelation that can spur spiritual growth. Now at the end of the day perhaps it all only exists within our minds. But so long as it is helpful rather than harmful it seems to be worth it.

ecco

Veteran Member
No, metaphysics is useful to me. But not useful to you. That is what is going on. Learn to describe the world in correct terms.
Giving snarky answers is useful to some people.
Believing in woo is useful to some people.
Believing in metaphysics is useful to some people.

There, is that phraseology more acceptable to you?

Nah! Metaphysics really is useless. Just like belief in woo is useless. Both are useless from the standpoint of contributing anything to the advancement of knowledge. Both are useless from the standpoint of contributing anything to the betterment of humanity.

However, I would have to admit that they are useful to those who write books and give lectures about woo and metaphysics - they earn good livings from those pursuits.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Giving snarky answers is useful to some people.
Believing in woo is useful to some people.
Believing in metaphysics is useful to some people.

There, is that phraseology more acceptable to you?

Nah! Metaphysics really is useless. Just like belief in woo is useless. Both are useless from the standpoint of contributing anything to the advancement of knowledge. Both are useless from the standpoint of contributing anything to the betterment of humanity.

However, I would have to admit that they are useful to those who write books and give lectures about woo and metaphysics - they earn good livings from those pursuits.

All 3 bold ones are subjective evaluations and if taken as in the strong sense as with strong reason, logic and evidence, themselves woo.
As a global skeptic I don't believe in metaphysics or woo. Nor do I believe in any strong version of knowledge nor the betterment of humanity. The use of humanity in regards to betterment can be woo, as there is no objective humanity or betterment with evidence, logic or evidence. I don't believe in that kind of woo.

So maybe you are a believer in woo.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
How in the world did you come to that conclusion?

None of the them can be done only with reason, logic and/or evidence. All 3 bold ones involve subjective evolution and are not real as a part of reality. They only work as subjective beliefs.
In short really useful, advancement, betterment and humanity have no objective referents. I.e. they can't be observed as per evidence and they have no scientific measurement standard.