• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wands

Unedited

Do you have a wand? And, if you do, could you be so kind as to tell me about it? Whether you bought it, or made it yourself, what it's made of, how long it is, what it looks like, what you use it for. It's really just a question to satisfy my curiousity. I don't have one myself, and can't see a good use for having one.

niamhwitch

Celtic Faery Wiccan )O(
I have two wands. One is made out of an oak branch that I aquired in Northern California in the middle of the woods. I put a quartz crystal on the top and tied it down with some hemp (I make hemp jewelry, so I have tons of hemp around).
The other one I have is one that I am not sure what tree it came off of. It was given to me and my husband as a wedding gift from a friend of a friend (his name was Leonard). The wand came from Leonard's magickal garden. Right now there is nothing on it, its just a skinny branch, but someday I will put some ribbons on it.

Here's a picture of my altar (Its not a very good shot, its kinda dark, so I hope you can see it):
http://groups.msn.com/TeenWiccaHangout/photoalbum1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=203

The wands are right there in the front of the altar. The dark one is the oak wand and the skinny light one is the wand from Leonard.

Master Vigil

I don't use wands when I work with the spirits. But I make them, I made one for my girlfriend that I carved out of cedar. I carved a cat's head on the end (since her spirit guide is Bastet :D) I don't have a good pic of it right now. But I will try very soon.

Unedited

niamhwitch said:
I have two wands. One is made out of an oak branch that I aquired in Northern California in the middle of the woods. I put a quartz crystal on the top and tied it down with some hemp (I make hemp jewelry, so I have tons of hemp around).
The other one I have is one that I am not sure what tree it came off of. It was given to me and my husband as a wedding gift from a friend of a friend (his name was Leonard). The wand came from Leonard's magickal garden. Right now there is nothing on it, its just a skinny branch, but someday I will put some ribbons on it.

Here's a picture of my altar (Its not a very good shot, its kinda dark, so I hope you can see it):
http://groups.msn.com/TeenWiccaHangout/photoalbum1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=203

The wands are right there in the front of the altar. The dark one is the oak wand and the skinny light one is the wand from Leonard.
Thank you for sharing. I'll have to spread more karma around so I can give you some!

Master Vigil said:
I don't use wands when I work with the spirits. But I make them, I made one for my girlfriend that I carved out of cedar. I carved a cat's head on the end (since her spirit guide is Bastet :D) I don't have a good pic of it right now. But I will try very soon.
I'd love to see it, it sounds beautiful!

Unedited

gracie said:
i have a question: what do wands do, exactly? what are they used for?
[url="http://grandpasgeneral.com/wand.html" said:
http://grandpasgeneral.com/wand.html[/url]]
As a ritual tool, the Magic Wand has a history that goes back hundreds, if not thousands of years. It is used in many pagan/spiritual paths, primarily to direct energies during magic rituals. A magic wand held upright may be used to call or invoke the chosen deity(s), spirits, or Watchtowers to be present during the ritual.

In traditional Witchcraft, as well in some other Pagan paths, one may use the wand to draw the "magic circle", which creates a sacred space. The wand may also be used to draw magic symbols and as a focal point for directing magical energy. The energy will be released in the direction the magic wand is pointed.

In Wicca, the magic wand is related to the element of Air. Some other paths relate the wand to the element of fire. In some ceremonial paths, you cannot work without a magic wand, and in others, no wand is necessary.

Many paths use magick wands made of different types of wood, some are made of crystal/stone, some of metal, and then some are any combination of these. Many magick wands will be decorated with symbols, beads, stones, wrapped with leather and feathers attached, as well. This all depending on the owners personal taste, use and the chosen path.
Some magick wands are called healing wands and have been used for directing energy from, drawing negative energy out of the sick body. These are commonly made of crystal or metal, or a combination of the two.
I hope that helps a little. My knowledge of ritual tools is very limited, since it's rare for me to use any. It's a little long, but I think it's one of the best description I've seen.

niamhwitch

Celtic Faery Wiccan )O(
i have a question: what do wands do, exactly? what are they used for?
I use my wand as a vessel of energy that I use when casting a circle.

Some people use the athame (ritual dagger) for the same purpose. It is a matter of preferrance. I like the wands (which I attribute to air). I cast my circle with the wand and cut doors in the circle with the athame.

Circle_One

As Niamh pointed out some prefer to use Athame's rather than wands as they can usually be used for the same purpose. I am an Athame person, I've always preferred them.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
And that would be your Athame agaisnt the wall Niamhwitch ? If I'm not mistaken , there is another dagger on the table ?

I'm just being nosy . :) But I must say that is an interesting blade . And thank you for sharing your Altar with us . Unedited is correct , you deserve frubals for that . :) But I have to spread a few around too .... :(

niamhwitch

Celtic Faery Wiccan )O(
And that would be your Athame agaisnt the wall Niamhwitch ? If I'm not mistaken , there is another dagger on the table ?
No, the one agaist the wall is a ritual sword. I have yet to use it in ritual as it was a Yule gift from my husband. If I do use it, it may be for the same purpose as the athame, or maybe not... I am the master at "winging it" lol, so we will see...

I am trying to find a close up picture of the sword... it is pretty cool looking IMO. I asked for the sword specifically from my husband.

Well I found a pic. It's in my livejournal. I dont know how to attatch pictures to messages on here, so I will just give the link:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/niamhwitch/44001.html

And your altar is absolutely gorgeous, Master Vigil. Is that a Buddha in the center? I love it!

Master Vigil

Thank you Niamh. Yes that is Siddhartha. I have a few Hoteis as well on there. But the big buddha is my favorite. :D

Edit. :D And your children are SOOOO cute!!! :D

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I thought it a bit large for a Athame Niamh , but wasn't sure . I guess that is why I asked ? :) I do like it .

And you think that you " wing " it ? ;) Makes me think of a gift that Raven { Toes } gave me , an actual wing of a pigeon . :) I actually " wing " it to the point that I have a question that I would like to ask about Wands / Staves , but at the same time , don't wish to be influenced by other's opinions , if that makes any sense ? { my question will be answered in time , and not before } .

That is very nice work on the Wand there MV . Well done .

niamhwitch

Celtic Faery Wiccan )O(
Edit. :D And your children are SOOOO cute!!!
Lol, thanks MV, but those are not my kids. Thats my little brother and sister. My mom had two children with my step-dad when I was a teenager so Doug and Tory are A LOT younger than me. People often think that they are my children lol. My husband and I do not have children yet, but we have been trying for a while. We wanna have six :D.

And thank you kreeden! :D

Lehnah

Master of the Mystic Arts
Sorry for dredging up old threads, but this is interesting to me. :D

I have one wand, and it's actually a pencil. As an illustrator I have used a LOT of pencils and there is nothing better than a nice one. Recently I found the most amazing pencil. Beautiful to hold, beautiful to work with. However, it's one of those things that you want to keep safe and nice. I'd put it aside in a special place but I've decided it'd make the perfect want because 1) it's made of wood and 2) it's a tool (pencil) that I have uses all through my life and is very personal to me due to my love of art.