• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walmart CEO warns company will close stores if theft doesn't slow down

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I never was a fan of those self-checking devices. But they do have cameras in the ceilings above and people to stand by and monitor. They also have the people standing by the door to ask to see people's receipts.

That's another bothersome aspect of thievery, in that honest people have to be checked along with everyone else.
The only place my receipt has been checked is at BJs.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
My guess is that there are levels.
They'd factor in certain amounts of theft to their pricing, security, insurances, etc.

An upward trend in theft is something they wouldn't have accounted for, and would impact on margin. Whilst it might have positive tax implications it's likely to be having very negative cashflow implications.
Ahh very true

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I wonder if there's an alternate universe where the headline is: Walmart CEO Spends Millions to Alleviate Economic Stressors in Areas Impacted By Crime.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Really.

Ita bad enough that stores expect customers to do work meant for their employees, and not get any pay for it.

I remember when gas stations first started offering self-serve, and as an incentive, they offered a discount over full serve. I don't think they do that anymore, although it's rare to find full service gas stations anyway.

Funny thing about Walmart is that I sometimes go in during the early morning hours, and none of the cashiers are open; it's all self-checkout, yet they have employees just standing around to watch. They're not really doing anything.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I read that earlier. I see higher prices before closing stores. Although neighbourhoods may play a roll in store closings.
I'm betting it's an excuse to shutter the store just as the municipal tax breaks expire, so they can find some other municipality that will offer tax breaks to open a new store while the old one turns into a derelict rotting husk in a dying abandoned plaza.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The missing victims in this entire discussion are the folks who have already had to close down their small family businesses due to inner city theft (and loitering or vandalism) . Somehow I think Walmart and Target will survive. But what about those corner stores or niche market businesses who really can't afford that much security, much less a lot of theft.

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
It is time for stores to begin tracking every item as it travels through the store. This can be handled in several ways, some ways more annoying than others.

giphy.gif

Man in a fury suit, closely observing a human and looking at them from multiple angles.

From: Staring Music Video GIF by Big Grams - Find & Share on GIPHY

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, it was mentioned in the linked article
in the OP. This is a current phenomenon, ie,
that organized gangs are doing much of the
stealing. Get with the times, ya old geezer.
I know of two theft rings that operated using a company insider to facilitate thefts. One insider worked a customer service desk and the other ran a register. The cashier would charge pennies on the dollar or miss items and the customer service rep would do returns that didn't exist as well as the same activities as the cashier. I'm not sure what the haul was for the cashier, but the customer service rep facilitated roughly 90 grand in thefts before she was caught and her gang sent running.

All those drug addicts have to get their drug money somehow. And they've learned that they can just walk in and walk out with lots of valuable stuff at many of these stores. No minimum wage security guard is going to risk their lives trying to stop them. And the cops can't sit there all day keeping them away. And it's not just Walmart, it's all the big box stores.

When I worked retail we were trained not to try stopping or chasing thieves. I wasn't going to do that anyway. Why would I risk getting hurt over a wage slave job?

It is time for stores to begin tracking every item as it travels through the store. This can be handled in several ways, some ways more annoying than others.

giphy.gif

Man in a fury suit, closely observing a human and looking at them from multiple angles.

From: Staring Music Video GIF by Big Grams - Find & Share on GIPHY

They should just have the entrances set up as enclosed areas that can be locked down till the cops show up. However, the thieves could then sue for unlawful imprisonment or kidnapping or other nonsense. So that idea won't work.