• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wagner Invades Russia

F1fan

Veteran Member
When was that? Was it a free election? Was it known back then that he would be a dictator?
They had a lot of reform, like a two term limit for presidents, which putin totally ignored eventually. I don't know about how fair the first elections were. I don't remember any stories about fraud, but that was a long time ago and who knows what happened. I think most observers were happy to see something like voting happening. After his first two terms he arranged for Medvedev to be president, who was seen as a proxy for putin, and after that putin said he could run again. After those two terms he arranged to eliminate the term limits, and made more effforts to eliminate opponents. So much for trying democracy.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem arrives when lefties call
all authoritarian regimes "right wing".
"Right" is redundant in one sense,
but the opposite in another.
It adds nothing...except sanctimony by
those who like demonizing conservatives.
We have authority opposite liberty and conservative opposite progression with all falling out somewhere along those axes. It's that political spectrum test.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
They had a lot of reform, like a two term limit for presidents, which putin totally ignored. After his forst two terms he arranged for Medvedev to be president, who was seen as a proxy for putin, and after that putin said he could run again. After those two terms he arranged to eliminate the term limits, and made more effforts to eliminate opponents. So much for trying democracy.

Exactly. Oligarchs and corrupt influential people have been running the show in Russia for over a century. I don't know where the idea came from that the Russian people freely elected any of them.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Exactly. Oligarchs and corrupt influential people have been running the show in Russia for over a century. I don't know where the idea came from that the Russian people freely elected any of them.
The rich pretty much set the agendas for every nation that has elections. The USA actually has fair elections, but the processgetting to the final set of candidates is chaos and corrupt. The money being spent is insane.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Imagine if libertarians really got their way with an "every man for himself" governing style. We'd probably be a lot like Afghanistan with regional criminals running things.
If liberals got their way, we'd become like N Korea.
If conservatives got their way, we'd become like Saudi Arabia.
Lucky for you, libertarians have little influence. So we have
daily threats to civil liberties, repeated useless wars, high
taxes, censorship, dress codes, & cops with immunity from
prosecution for many crimes. Thank you, Pubs & Dems.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
If liberals got their way, we'd become like N Korea.

The Democratic Party couldn't even do anything substantial about gun violence, poverty, or threats to abortion rights when they had the presidency and the majority in both chambers of Congress. They're that ineffectual and fond of the status quo.

You're overestimating their competence in imposing their will and their assertiveness far too much.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Democratic Party can't even do anything substantial gun violence. They're that ineffectual and fond of the status quo.

You're overestimating their competence in imposing their will and their assertiveness far too much.
I've never over-estimated their competence.
You take that back!
(The really don't want gun control all that
much, so competence isn't the issue.)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Is there anything you won't say?
I'm waiting for "the Moon is made of green cheese".
I only know that we Europeans, Western Europeans to be precise, have been trying for over 75 years to ensure peace in all the European continent, but there have always been alien forces that have always controlled us and prevented us from establishing everlasting relations of peace and concord with the Russians.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
The Democratic Party couldn't even do anything substantial about gun violence, poverty, or threats to abortion rights when they had the presidency and the majority in both chambers of Congress. They're that ineffectual and fond of the status quo.

Democrats have made the fatal error of trusting republicans in negotiating legistation that will affect the status quo. The compromizes on the ACA is an example, as republicans proposed many amendments that weakened healthcare access. They even introduced amendments that they ended up not even voting for, just to muck up the process. The law was a mess when it came to a final vote, and if anyone remembers it needed many fixes. What are republicans focused on these days to help make the lives of Americans better? Expunging Trump's impeachments and impeaching Biden. Does anyone think they will retain the House in 2024?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Russia has lots of elections where people are free to vote. however most of those who are elected have no power whatsoever. nor is there any reason to suppose that the results published have any relationship to the actual vote.
This is particularly true when the person voted for will have maximum power like Putin himself.