• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

vision qouest

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Ask the elders of your Nation.

"Vision quests" are often very specific rituals. There are lots of restrictions on who, when and where such things can take place. Not to mention the specific means of preparing for them and following through on them.

Never mind the intricacies of having them interpreted, sometimes by very specific people in the Nation.

wa:do

no-body

Forgive me if this is ill informed but I've heard it is inadvisable for someone just to step into a vision quest without a lot of preparation. It has to do with the western diet and exercise causing a shock to the body if you just step into it.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I don't know about the diet and exercise thing.... but I do know that you need to prepare yourself both physically, mentally and spiritually.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Never use psychotropic plants unless you have guidance from a trained elder who really knows what to do. Plants have extremely strong medicine and they will punish you for misusing them.

Tobacco is a perfect example of this.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Ask the elders of your Nation.

"Vision quests" are often very specific rituals. There are lots of restrictions on who, when and where such things can take place. Not to mention the specific means of preparing for them and following through on them.

Never mind the intricacies of having them interpreted, sometimes by very specific people in the Nation.

And if you lack a "Nation"?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Painted wolf are there any tribes that belive in past lives and the prospect of gainig a vision quest from the past
That is tricky... I have heard some nations have a sort of "reincarnation" belief... but I don't think it's exactly like it is in eastern religions.

I've heard variations of the "pool of souls" concept, where all life energy is mixed up and redistributed to new generations of living things as they die and are born. I think that is closest idea I've heard.

What people see in their visions is deeply personal and shared with only a few trusted people, if anyone at all. But I have heard of people meeting their ancestors or the passed elders of the Nation. (these are pretty common during the "Sun Dance")

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
And if you lack a "Nation"?
Then you can always try asking the elders of the Nation closest to you.... but don't expect to just be welcomed in with open arms. ;)

First Nations religion isn't something you can just jump into... it's your way of life, your culture, your land, your language.... but, people are "adopted" in from time to time.

Respect is the biggest thing. Too many years of abuse have gone on, and in many cases are still going on. This has left a lot of people of wary of outsiders, who often want in because it's "trendy" or "cool".

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Then you can always try asking the elders of the Nation closest to you.... but don't expect to just be welcomed in with open arms. ;)

First Nations religion isn't something you can just jump into... it's your way of life, your culture, your land, your language.... but, people are "adopted" in from time to time.

Respect is the biggest thing. Too many years of abuse have gone on, and in many cases are still going on. This has left a lot of people of wary of outsiders, who often want in because it's "trendy" or "cool".

And how would I be received if I went in acting the part of a researcher? That is, expecting to study the outcome and experience the phenomenon without "giving in" to the possible reality of it.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
And how would I be received if I went in acting the part of a researcher? That is, expecting to study the outcome and experience the phenomenon without "giving in" to the possible reality of it.
I dunno', but my guess is you would be welcomed into some rituals and not others.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Most nations have events and even ceremonies that are often open to the public. Pow-wows for example. These events are the best place to start learning.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Most nations have events and even ceremonies that are often open to the public. Pow-wows for example. These events are the best place to start learning.

I recently went to one actually. It didn't feel right though. The dances, music, and stories were all there, but it lacked the belief. Most of them I would say were just Christians acknowledging their roots.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I recently went to one actually. It didn't feel right though. The dances, music, and stories were all there, but it lacked the belief. Most of them I would say were just Christians acknowledging their roots.
There is a lot of that... but the belief is always there if you look.

Unless you went to a spectacularly bad or commercialized pow-wow. I've been to a few "bad" ones. One, run by new-agers can felt very wrong. One, run by a museum, was ok.. One was put together by people in the middle of a break up... the energy put into it has a lot of influence on the overall feel of the event.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
There is a lot of that... but the belief is always there if you look.

Unless you went to a spectacularly bad or commercialized pow-wow. I've been to a few "bad" ones. One, run by new-agers can felt very wrong. One, run by a museum, was ok.. One was put together by people in the middle of a break up... the energy put into it has a lot of influence on the overall feel of the event.

There were some New Agers there, but I don't think they were running it, just kind of leeching off it. It wasn't particularly commercialized, just kind of...not empty spiritually, just not to the level I was expecting. It was very historical I guess.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

I'm not NA, at least not recent enough in ancestry to matter much, but I am an animist. It's up to the spirits, and the kind of experience you'll have depends not only on your approach, but how they take your approach. And the odds are that you'll not have a successful experience, anyway: not everyone gets to have a vision when undergoing a quest. Spirits talk to you in other ways, though.

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
One may learn songs, dance steps, drum beats and get to meet Indians, but these are public events where people get together. Like a spring parade or county fair.

I suggest looking up the meaning of pow wow. Not really an event where one can learn about vision quests.