• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virgin Mary and Islam?

Deidre

I realize that Mary, the mother of Jesus, is honored in Islam, even more so than in the NT. My question is why is it necessary to believe that she was a virgin, if she nor Jesus is taught in Islam, to be "divine?"

In Christianity, it becomes a different focus than in Islam because Jesus is taught to be divine.

Just curious as to why it is believed in Islam that Jesus was the born from a virgin?

mainliner

no one can de-borg my fact's ...NO-ONE!!
Its a mix up isn't it ? Between "didn't have sex " and " never has had sex "

i think :)

I realize that Mary, the mother of Jesus, is honored in Islam, even more so than in the NT. My question is why is it necessary to believe that she was a virgin, if she nor Jesus is taught in Islam, to be "divine?"

In Christianity, it becomes a different focus than in Islam because Jesus is taught to be divine.

Just curious as to why it is believed in Islam that Jesus was the born from a virgin?

Because it's in the Quran.

If you believe that the Quran is from God then it means it is true, so that's the reason.

"And in Mary, Imran’s daughter, who preserved her chastity and into whose womb We breathed Our Spirit, who put her trust in the words of her Lord and His scriptures, and was truly devout."

(Q 66:12)

If you don't believe the Quran is from God then it's because the Christians said she was a virgin, so the Muslims got it from the Christians.

So it is either a simple fact or an appropriation.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

What I find hilarious is the belief in Immaculate Conception but the odd assertion that the son is not the son of the father. In a very real sense Islam sees Jesus as being a *******.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Mary or Maryam as called in Arabic is deemed the pinnacle of women in Islamic theology. She is often given titles that reference her being the most pious woman. She pretty much fulfilled all five pillars perfectly

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

The Jews denied Jesus and accused virgin Mary of being a whore, the quran confirmed that Jesus birth was miraculous and virgin Marry was a pious woman.

gsa

In essence, Islam affirms the virgin birth because denying it would render Mary a whore and Jesus a mundane *******. Pretty similar to the reasons the doctrine was invented by the authors of Matthew and Luke.

PErSiAn

My Leader Is one of Emam Mahdi's True Followers...

" Surely the idea of Jesus to Allah is like the idea of Adam. Created him from dust, said Be then he Be-ed. "
Soore of Aale Emran, Aaye of 59

I'm very sorry that i cannot give the meaning rightly because of the lack of concepts in the other languages than Arabic.

muhammad_isa

Human beings were created by Almighty God .. they are not Divine and are all sinners.
The Prophets were the closest to God, called 'sons of God' in the OT meaning very close to God/saint, but they are human-beings and subject to sin.

The Bible is confirmed in the Qur'an by Almighty God, but warns people not to exagerate in their religion, particularly by making human beings into God.

It is confirmed in the Qur'an that Mary, peace be with her, was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus. It's easy for Almighty God; He just says "Be and it is!". There are many other miracles mentioned in the Bible & Qur'an which are all true.
However, Almighty God is not a man .. He is not physical .. He is neither male or female .. He has no father, mother, wife, son, daughter etc.
..these are all physical concepts in the life of this world. The concept of Almighty God is a spiritual one .. the "made in God's image" refers to a spiritual one .. we experience love, hate, sympathy, anger etc.
ie. our souls are in God's image .. Almighty God does not have a physical body .. He knows our past, and He knows our future .. He is Eternal

Deidre

Human beings were created by Almighty God .. they are not Divine and are all sinners.
The Prophets were the closest to God, called 'sons of God' in the OT meaning very close to God/saint, but they are human-beings and subject to sin.

The Bible is confirmed in the Qur'an by Almighty God, but warns people not to exagerate in their religion, particularly by making human beings into God.

It is confirmed in the Qur'an that Mary, peace be with her, was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus. It's easy for Almighty God; He just says "Be and it is!". There are many other miracles mentioned in the Bible & Qur'an which are all true.
However, Almighty God is not a man .. He is not physical .. He is neither male or female .. He has no father, mother, wife, son, daughter etc.
..these are all physical concepts in the life of this world. The concept of Almighty God is a spiritual one .. the "made in God's image" refers to a spiritual one .. we experience love, hate, sympathy, anger etc.
ie. our souls are in God's image .. Almighty God does not have a physical body .. He knows our past, and He knows our future .. He is Eternal

I appreciate your offering, here. I understand. I guess I don't understand though, why Mary needs to be a virgin at all, if her son Jesus is not considered divine or God-incarnate, in the teachings of Islam.

When I was a Christian, this was such a pivotal point in the doctrine. But, to me, it is not a necessary or pivotal point in order to merely believe that Jesus was a prophet, or a human messenger from God. I don't see any other prophets having this 'trait,' so not sure why Islam believes that part of Christian doctrine. (it originated in the NT)

Because it's in the Quran.

If you believe that the Quran is from God then it means it is true, so that's the reason.

"And in Mary, Imran’s daughter, who preserved her chastity and into whose womb We breathed Our Spirit, who put her trust in the words of her Lord and His scriptures, and was truly devout."

(Q 66:12)

If you don't believe the Quran is from God then it's because the Christians said she was a virgin, so the Muslims got it from the Christians.

So it is either a simple fact or an appropriation.

I wonder if it is fact or an appropriation, but it is less of a problem for me either way, because it isn't central to Islam's message or doctrine. I'm so fascinated by what you say here, that all of the Qur'an is from God. Many Christians, depending on the sect/denomination, believe that certain parts of the Bible are left up to interpretation, or all parts/passages are not meant to be taken literally. Even Genesis is taught to be taken as an allegory, by the Catholic Church. So, I find it refreshing and very different from where I've come from in Christianity, to be told that the entire Qur'an is the word of God. And said with conviction. While I question things, it is still interesting how you worded that. I don't know if I'm making sense. lol

Its a mix up isn't it ? Between "didn't have sex " and " never has had sex "

i think :)

Hmmm
:)

What I find hilarious is the belief in Immaculate Conception but the odd assertion that the son is not the son of the father. In a very real sense Islam sees Jesus as being a *******.

Well, the Immaculate Conception has to do with Mary - the conception of her in her mother's womb, being free from sin. So, that piece has nothing to do with Jesus, but I too struggle with that piece of it, as well. lol

My reason is this. Sex and sexuality are gifts from God. It is not sinful to have sex with someone you love, and so I'm not sure why we need to believe that Mary was born sinless, and was a virgin in order to have a child named Jesus. Now, if you believe that he was the Savior of the world, then you might need to believe that in order for that to happen, he needed to be born free of sin, etc. But, why would God require all of this, if in Islam ...Jesus is NOT seen as divine at all. He is considered a prophet. Which I'm fine with, actually...but, I must admit. I wish Islam didn't teach that Mary was a virgin when Jesus was born. But...anyway... ^_^

What a mess the author of Matthew appears to have fabricated. :D

LOL No comment. :D

In essence, Islam affirms the virgin birth because denying it would render Mary a whore and Jesus a mundane *******. Pretty similar to the reasons the doctrine was invented by the authors of Matthew and Luke.

I'm leaning in agreement with this, and it isn't that I can't tell myself that 'God can do all things,' but...I don't see this 'story' as being necessary actually for Christianity or Islam, and Islam for very different reasons.

I'll have to sort this out a bit in my head.

Last edited:

Deidre

" Surely the idea of Jesus to Allah is like the idea of Adam. Created him from dust, said Be then he Be-ed. "
Soore of Aale Emran, Aaye of 59

I'm very sorry that i cannot give the meaning rightly because of the lack of concepts in the other languages than Arabic.

Aw, don't be sorry...this makes sense you put it. I just don't ''like'' it. lol I could blindly accept it, but I guess I'm not sure why it's necessary to be taught as such in Islam. That's all. I will sort it out and appreciate your and everyone else's thoughts to it.

Interesting when we put our heads together on these things! :)

mainliner

no one can de-borg my fact's ...NO-ONE!!
I appreciate your offering, here. I understand. I guess I don't understand though, why Mary needs to be a virgin at all, if her son Jesus is not considered divine or God-incarnate, in the teachings of Islam.

When I was a Christian, this was such a pivotal point in the doctrine. But, to me, it is not a necessary or pivotal point in order to merely believe that Jesus was a prophet, or a human messenger from God. I don't see any other prophets having this 'trait,' so not sure why Islam believes that part of Christian doctrine. (it originated in the NT)

I wonder if it is fact or an appropriation, but it is less of a problem for me either way, because it isn't central to Islam's message or doctrine. I'm so fascinated by what you say here, that all of the Qur'an is from God. Many Christians, depending on the sect/denomination, believe that certain parts of the Bible are left up to interpretation, or all parts/passages are not meant to be taken literally. Even Genesis is taught to be taken as an allegory, by the Catholic Church. So, I find it refreshing and very different from where I've come from in Christianity, to be told that the entire Qur'an is the word of God. And said with conviction. While I question things, it is still interesting how you worded that. I don't know if I'm making sense. lol

Hmmm
:)

Well, the Immaculate Conception has to do with Mary - the conception of her in her mother's womb, being free from sin. So, that piece has nothing to do with Jesus, but I too struggle with that piece of it, as well. lol

My reason is this. Sex and sexuality are gifts from God. It is not sinful to have sex with someone you love, and so I'm not sure why we need to believe that Mary was born sinless, and was a virgin in order to have a child named Jesus. Now, if you believe that he was the Savior of the world, then you might need to believe that in order for that to happen, he needed to be born free of sin, etc. But, why would God require all of this, if in Islam ...Jesus is NOT seen as divine at all. He is considered a prophet. Which I'm fine with, actually...but, I must admit. I wish Islam didn't teach that Mary was a virgin when Jesus was born. But...anyway... ^_^

LOL No comment. :D

I'm leaning in agreement with this, and it isn't that I can't tell myself that 'God can do all things,' but...I don't see this 'story' as being necessary actually for Christianity or Islam, and Islam for very different reasons.

I'll have to sort this out a bit in my head.
what do u mean ...hmmm ? Lol

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Aren't prophets usually associated with miracles? The virgin birth was one of many. That's my guess.

And why is it accepted? It's in the Quran. I haven't come across Muslims who believe it isn't perfect, since it's the word of Allah.

Deidre

Aren't prophets usually associated with miracles? The virgin birth was one of many. That's my guess.

And why is it accepted? It's in the Quran. I haven't come across Muslims who believe it isn't perfect, since it's the word of Allah.

Ah, ok. Yea, I was reading about miracles, and this could be one such miracle.
I guess to me, it is not 'necessary' for the central doctrine of Islam. This is something for me to sort out in my head. It's not a huge thing, I didn't like it at all in Christianity, because the tenet of Mary's virginity...led to other things I didn't like, such as Jesus being considered divine, and the resurrection, and an entire religion coming about to worship a man who told his followers not to worship him. lol

muhammad_isa

.. I didn't like it at all in Christianity, because the tenet of Mary's virginity...led to other things I didn't like, such as Jesus being considered divine, and the resurrection, and an entire religion coming about to worship a man who told his followers not to worship him. lol

Yes, I understand .. that's very interesting. In Catholicism, Mary is treated specially, isn't she?
.. in most protestant sects, she is not. It might be that that's bugging you..

You are right that other Prophets were not 'virgin births' .. apart from Adam, peace be with him, of course
He didn't have an earthly father OR mother! :)
Almighty God knows best why .. He is forever putting mankind to test .. why was Jesus rejected by the Jews at the time? Jesus, peace be with him, spoke in his cradle "I am the Prophet of God" .. Almighty God showed them many miracles, but they STILL refused to listen! The same with Pharaoh.

gsa

Ah, ok. Yea, I was reading about miracles, and this could be one such miracle.
I guess to me, it is not 'necessary' for the central doctrine of Islam. This is something for me to sort out in my head. It's not a huge thing, I didn't like it at all in Christianity, because the tenet of Mary's virginity...led to other things I didn't like, such as Jesus being considered divine, and the resurrection, and an entire religion coming about to worship a man who told his followers not to worship him. lol

The Pauline epistles and Mark contain the resurrection and the incarnation, and they predate Matthew. Paul uses the unusual phrase "born of a woman," which some scholars read as suggesting that his paternity and legitimacy were in question. We know from later sources that Jewish critics of Christianity often alluded to his illegitimacy, if only to cast doubt on the messianic claims. From this I think it is reasonable to infer that the virginity narrative was adopted to counter any questions about his paternity. Islam is, as you might have guessed, as committed to patriarchy as traditional Judaism. So to claim Isa as a prophet, the Quran had to deal with his paternity as well, and didn't see the virgin birth as requiring any commitment to his divinity, which is regarded as shirk.

Islam also denies his crucifixion, which is one of the few things historians agree on (unless they think he was a mythical composite figure).

PErSiAn

My Leader Is one of Emam Mahdi's True Followers...
Aw, don't be sorry...this makes sense you put it. I just don't ''like'' it. lol I could blindly accept it, but I guess I'm not sure why it's necessary to be taught as such in Islam. That's all. I will sort it out and appreciate your and everyone else's thoughts to it.

Interesting when we put our heads together on these things! :)
deidre, it's not like anybody says to blindly accept it, you must know things if they are knowledgeable. it's got no problem.
i promise that if you learn farsi, you can find many books ( pdf books that can be downloaded freely ) that are answering all your questions, and many videos ( free videos ) and free audios that are speeches and saying about islam. saying many things about it. i promise that if you learn farsi you shall find a world of knowledge about islam.
and the best sources in books are called " tafsir " which say about quran's verses ( like the one i wrote on the last post ), either reasoning about it or quoting imams' hadith about the verses. though not all tafsirs are good and acceptable, you are free to choose what to believe about what people reason about verses.
since farsi got too many arabic words in it, it will be easier for you to learn arabic after that if you liked. though arabic is even a little hard for iranian people to learn because of the grammar :D