• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virgin Mary and Islam?

IsmailHanif

﴿قَالَتْ أَنَّى يَكُونُ لِى غُلَـمٌ﴾

(She said: "How can I have a son...'') This means that Maryam was amazed at this. She said, "How can I have a son'' She said this to mean, "In what way would a son be born to me when I do not have a husband and I do not commit any wicked acts (i.e. fornication)'' For this reason she said,

﴿وَلَمْ يَمْسَسْنِى بَشَرٌ وَلَمْ أَكُ بَغِيّاً﴾

(when no man has touched me, nor am I Baghiyya) The Baghiyy is a female fornicator.

﴿قَالَ كَذَلِكَ قَالَ رَبُّكَ هُوَ عَلَىَّ هَيِّنٌ﴾

(He said: "Thus said your Lord: `That is easy for Me (Allah)...'') This means that the angel said to her in response to her question, "Verily, Allah has said that a boy will be born from you even though you do not have a husband and you have not committed any lewdness. Verily, He is Most Able to do whatever He wills.'' Due to this, he (Jibril) conveyed Allah's Words,

﴿وَلِنَجْعَلَهُ ءَايَةً لِّلْنَّاسِ﴾

(And (We wish) to appoint him as a sign to mankind) This means a proof and a sign for mankind of the power of their Maker and Creator, Who diversified them in their creation. He created their father, Adam, without a male (father) or female (mother). Then, He created Hawwa' (Adam's spouse) from a male (father) without a female (mother). Then, He created the rest of their progeny from male and female, except `Isa. He caused `Isa to be born from a female without a male. Thus, Allah completed the four types of creation (of the human being), which proves the perfection of His power and the magnificence of His authority. There is no god worthy of worship except Him and there is no true Lord other than Him.

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2687&Itemid=75

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
I realize that Mary, the mother of Jesus, is honored in Islam, even more so than in the NT. My question is why is it necessary to believe that she was a virgin, if she nor Jesus is taught in Islam, to be "divine?"

In Christianity, it becomes a different focus than in Islam because Jesus is taught to be divine.

Just curious as to why it is believed in Islam that Jesus was the born from a virgin?

We in Islam believed that she was virgin.

My curious why you called her virgin since the Gospel said she was married !!!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
We in Islam believed that she was virgin.

My curious why you called her virgin since the Gospel said she was married !!!
In Catholicism, we believe that Mary was married to Joseph but that they never had sex. She remained a virgin all her life. (Deidre's not a Catholic now, however.)

Godobeyer

Premium Member
In Catholicism, we believe that Mary was married to Joseph but that they never had sex. She remained a virgin all her life. (Deidre's not a Catholic now, however.)
So there are different views about this issue .

Which verse of Bible said she remained a virgin all her life

btw How she remained a virgin all her life , and birth Jesus (pbuh) and others ?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So there are different views about this issue .

Which verse of Bible said she remained a virgin all her life

btw How she remained a virgin all her life , and birth Jesus (pbuh) and others ?
It doesn't clearly say that she remained a virgin all her life in the Bible, but that was the view that developed over the centuries.

The Holy Spirit acted upon Mary in some way and she became pregnant with Christ. God is literally Christ's Father, in our view.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
It doesn't clearly say that she remained a virgin all her life in the Bible, but that was the view that developed over the centuries.
SO it's was a suppose .

So why they claim/guess since it's not clearly enough .
The Holy Spirit acted upon Mary in some way and she became pregnant with Christ. God is literally Christ's Father, in our view.
Why not Adam (pbuh) is not literally father ? he borned without human father or mother too?

Godobeyer

Premium Member
She was a virgin when she was carrying Jesus.
That's what we Muslims believe in .

We believe also that she was not married , she was single . that's why no one claim that Jesus (pbuh) is son of Josef (her husband as you believe) .

The Jews in that time was punished the adultery , by stone the woman ,so they did not stone her , because :

God made Jesus (pbuh) defend for her, God made him spoken to the people around her inspite he was fresh baby. (just born)

muhammad_isa

..God made Jesus (pbuh) defend for her, God made him spoken to the people around her inspite he was fresh baby. (just born)

Yes .. it was well known that he was "the King of the Jews" :)
As usual, even many of his own people despised him. Power & wealth can corrupt us.

Deidre

That's what we Muslims believe in .

We believe also that she was not married , she was single . that's why no one claim that Jesus (pbuh) is son of Josef (her husband as you believe) .

The Jews in that time was punished the adultery , by stone the woman ,so they did not stone her , because :

God made Jesus (pbuh) defend for her, God made him spoken to the people around her inspite he was fresh baby. (just born)

Don't believe she married Joseph until after she was carrying Jesus. There was no 'adultery' in this case.

IsmailHanif

The miracle of the virgin birth of Christ (peace be upon him) was to be an effective proof/sign from Allah to the Children of Israel of that time. However, the miracle wouldn’t have seemed as believable if such a significant element of doubt (in the form of a betrothal) could exist.

Had Maryam been engaged or married, and that was well-known in the community, would people not conclude that the child was from the one she was supposed to marry and write-off the plausibility of a virgin birth? Indeed, some wicked people did insinuate fornication, but Qur’an’s purpose in speaking about Maryam is to clarify that their slander was baseless.

When she became pregnant, she fled out of fear that her people accuse her of fornication- perhaps the heaviest charge and greatest test for a woman who had spent her whole life in chaste abstinence and worship. Also, she was worried that people would look down upon religion itself, because she was known as the most pious woman of her time.

Throughout her whole ordeal, she relied on no one other than Allah Most High- no man, whether husband or fiancée or guardian- and that is a powerful lesson we gain from this story. Allah is telling us that His female servant could reach the heights of piety and make her a sign for others without the intervention of a man, and Allah Himself would defend her from all charges and slander.

Even thereafter, Jesus (peace be upon him) is quoted in the Qur’an as being enjoined upon by Allah to care for his mother (no father or siblings are mentioned), again, indicating that the two only had each other- and Allah Most High. [al-Quran, 19:32]

The great Quranic exegete and scholar, al-Alusi, whose famous tafsir work Ruh al-Ma’aani came later in the tradition, but had the benefit of analyzing all previous works of tafsir, said:

“[Allah] Most High said, ‘And We made her [Maryam] and her son a Sign for all the worlds.’ [Qur’an 21:91]… and thus, it is known that that which the Islamic scholars have come to consensus on is that Maryam had no other son save Jesus [peace be upon him].

And some of the Christians have claimed [..] that after she gave birth to Jesus, she married Joseph the Carpenter, and she bore him three sons. The reliable position amongst them is that when she was in her childhood, she was betrothed to Joseph the Carpenter and he contracted marriage with her but did not go near her…

…and when she gave birth, she stayed in his care with Jesus (peace be upon him), so [Joseph] began to raise and be a guardian over [Jesus] along with children from another wife other than [Maryam], and as for her, [Joseph] never went near her at all [in marital relations].

[However] the Muslims do not concede that she was married to Joseph, nor that she was betrothed to him, nor that he supported her or supported Jesus (peace be upon him)… [rather, Allah says in the Qur’an 21:19:] ‘And We sheltered the two of them [ie.Maryam and Jesus, peace be upon them]…’’’ [ Ruh al-Ma’ani, al-Alusi]

arthra

Baha'i
I definitely have some issues with the Islam teachings about Jesus. (mainly as it relates to his 'second coming')
The central thought is that he was raised bodily into heaven, and wasn't crucified at all. I happen to think he was crucified, but not for the reasons suggested in the NT. I agree with the Qur'an that he wasn't divine. But, this is my opinion.

Well this thread started with Mary and the virgin birth of Jesus and then we're discussing the crucifixion... and now back again to the virgin birth.

I believe Jesus was crucified...that is His body was crucified but His Spirit could not be killed or crucified. Yes He was martyred but the Qur'an says

in Surih 2:154

And say not of those who are slain in the way of Allah: "They are dead." Nay, they are living, though ye perceive (it) not.

So the Ruh-u-llah Spirit of God could not be crucified..

In the Gospel of Luke the last words of Jesus on the cross in the Jerusalem Bible read:

....and when Jesus had cried out in a loud voice, He said, "Father, into Your hands I commit my Spirit" with these words he breathed His last.

~ Luke 23:46

So Jesus committed His Spirit to God and the Qur'an says Allah raised him up unto Himself.

Not His body... but His Spirit.

As to the virgin birth of Jesus this is supported in the Qur'an and the Gospel... but it does not mean God physically incarnated Himself in Mary as some believe. The Spirit of God was manifested in Jesus but God did not in-carnate Himself in Mary.

In the beginning of e Hebrews there is a hint of this manifestation:

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person,..

And in the Gospel of John note there is the statement that Jesus was "sent" by God and that there can be a oneness but it is not saying God incarnates:

17:18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
17:19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; 17:21 That they all may be one; as
thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them;
that they may be one, even as we are one: 17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

whirlingmerc

In part because Adam sinned and the curse was on Adam's seed, but there is a promise that 'the seed of the woman will crush the serpent's head'