• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very different paradigms

Earthling

David Henson
I came upon a nice video comparing the 2 main Abrahamic faiths with my own Sanatana Dharma. It's an articulate exposition, in my view. For anyone wishing to increase their understanding of the significant and important differences, I'd highly recommend it.

The immediate problem with the presentation is that the original teachings of Jews and Christians, that is, the Bible, doesn't teach eternal damnation or hell. It teaches everlasting life or everlasting destruction. Hinduism, on the other hand, does with it's Naraka (Sanskrit: नरक)

Also, those who haven't had the opportunity to be introduced to the Bible will be resurrected in order for this to happen. Acts of the apostles 24:15

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The immediate problem with the presentation is that the original teachings of Jews and Christians, that is, the Bible, doesn't teach eternal damnation or hell. It teaches everlasting life or everlasting destruction. Hinduism, on the other hand, does with it's Naraka (Sanskrit: नरक)

Also, those who haven't had the opportunity to be introduced to the Bible will be resurrected in order for this to happen. Acts of the apostles 24:15

Take it as you wish. It's not a debate thread.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
As I said in another thread and stand by it 100%:

"I believe that the Dharmic and the Abrahamic are a yin/yang to the same reality (all other non-materialistic religions seem to fit on either side or in between the two poles) but I do see contention from both sides often. It's frustrating because I can't go up to a Dharmic (at least with their knowledge I am a Muslim) without them telling me the same old trite about what they expect me to be, yet at the same time, it's hard to generally (although there are exceptions) create a positive conversation with fellow Muslims about how beautiful the Dharmic religions are (Hindu religions especially, which I have always loved)

And also, naturally, the Abrahamic mystic and the Dharmic mystic should be best of friends, once they understand each other's use of words."

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

"I believe that the Dharmic and the Abrahamic are a yin/yang to the same reality (all other non-materialistic religions seem to fit on either side or in between the two poles) but I do see contention from both sides often. It's frustrating because I can't go up to a Dharmic (at least with their knowledge I am a Muslim) without them telling me the same old trite about what they expect me to be, yet at the same time, it's hard to generally (although there are exceptions) create a positive conversation with fellow Muslims about how beautiful the Dharmic religions are (Hindu religions especially, which I have always loved)

And also, naturally, the Abrahamic mystic and the Dharmic mystic should be best of friends, once they understand each other's use of words."
I agree, it's tough to engage. I'm one dharmic you could engage with, I would hope. Your being Muslim wouldn't matter to me personally, and I concur about mostly the mystic bit, although in my personal discussions with mystics of other faiths, you really have to dig deep sometimes to truly understand the use of words. Just because someone claims to be talking about the same thing doesn't necessarily mean they are.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
To tell the truth I'm starting to become dissillusioned by the mere idea of religion in general. (Not that I'm particularly orthodox to begin with.)
Of course people are free to follow whichever religion, life truths or philosophies they please.
It's just that as much as I do like channels like Dharma speaks and Yogi Devdas (western guy with Vedic eyes) I also see a clear agenda from the outset. Dharma Speaks, although much like myself between the two worlds, as it were, does use the same language as the Abrahamic faiths do. He uses phrases like, "we will show how Hinduism is in tune with reality." I think like every religion, Hinduism (generally speaking) is but one fragment of the reflection of reality. It seeks to understand the cosmos, it has its own explanation. Which is fine, but this still positions Hinduism, whether intentional or not, as a supplement Truth. It's just a little more.....polite about it.
I see this more as a reaction against the Abrahamic prostelysing, which is fair enough. But is that really what we're about? Pointedly telling other faiths how they're wrong and ours is "in tune with reality?"

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I see this more as a reaction against the Abrahamic prostelysing, which is fair enough. But is that really what we're about? Pointedly telling other faiths how they're wrong and ours is "in tune with reality?"

I agree that it's not what we're really about. But some response is better than no response. Very few of us are bothered to make any response at all, and the Hindu participation rate on these forums is an indicator of that. About 10 people are representing a billion, lol. So for an outsider looking around, I think that videos like this are great.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I agree that it's not what we're really about. But some response is better than no response. Very few of us are bothered to make any response at all, and the Hindu participation rate on these forums is an indicator of that. About 10 people are representing a billion, lol. So for an outsider looking around, I think that videos like this are great.
Well yeah, it's more like a spark notes version.
And we don't bother because it's not really our responsibility. We're not really supposed to interefere in other people's choices.
I don't know. My inherent Dharmic upbringing and my lazy indifferent (and drunk) Australian upbringing has caused me to not really care what others think of us.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well yeah, it's more like a spark notes version.
And we don't bother because it's not really our responsibility. We're not really supposed to interefere in other people's choices.
I don't know. My inherent Dharmic upbringing and my lazy indifferent (and drunk) Australian upbringing has caused me to not really care what others think of us.
I don't care much unless it gets personal. It's mostly defensive posturing, as you said. But stuff like this also serves a purpose for the more universalist leaning onlookers. It gives clear and concise major differences.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
As this is in the comparative religion section this is a place to discuss and explore concepts, not to debate. In that spirit I offer my perspective. As an adherent of an Abrahamic Faith the video does not represent what I believe at all. An inevitable problem arises if we try to reduce any faith, that isn't our own to a few core principles. If we are going to truly compare concepts we need a much more profound understanding of both the Dharmic and Abrahamic Faiths under consideration.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't care much unless it gets personal. It's mostly defensive posturing, as you said. But stuff like this also serves a purpose for the more universalist leaning onlookers. It gives clear and concise major differences.
It gives a basic outline on some differences between the two approaches. Vey broadly, which is fair enough given that it's targeting a general audience.
But religions are like people. Full of contradictions and nuances.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I came upon a nice video comparing the 2 main Abrahamic faiths with my own Sanatana Dharma. It's an articulate exposition, in my view. For anyone wishing to increase their understanding of the significant and important differences, I'd highly recommend it.

I thought it’s central message -that an exclusivist approach to religion is not in accordance with reality- is fair on a personal level :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

The movie is good given the context of the OP. I saw something similar yesterday when listening to sermons of the Universalist Church. It was interesting because it defined universalism has defined by diversity. What they have in common is social justice and activism in helping people and minorities. However, the religious nature is not one common foundation. It's interesting how the community works together. The sermon kind of topped it off that the word universality have many definitions depending on the intent of the religion.

Treks

In fact, you find within the Sikh scripture hymns by Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims (Sufis) :) And the first Sikh Guru, Guru Nanak Sahib travelled the land with his best friend and Muslim Mardana. Guru Nanak would sing and Bhai Mardana would play the rabab.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
In fact, you find within the Sikh scripture hymns by Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims (Sufis) :) And the first Sikh Guru, Guru Nanak Sahib travelled the land with his best friend and Muslim Mardana. Guru Nanak would sing and Bhai Mardana would play the rabab.

Definitely true and a position I share, Sikhism is very good in my books, the Guru Granth Sahib (well, what I've read of it as it's long) gets a thumbs up from me too.
I do equate Ik Onkar with Allah and with the Brahman/Atman realization, within their respective contexts. The objective vs the subjective though is always the stumbling block for many, however.
We all may apply different qualities to the Ultimate Reality but when we at least acknowledge that it is what we're talking about, interesting thoughts can arise (whether we take on other beliefs or not is inconsequential).
As an Abrahamic, we believe it is transcendent and self-revealing, that is our position. Still, doesn't stop me from appreciating Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, Sikh etc texts, I wish more people where like that on both sides though. (not a value judgement though, everyone is free to their beliefs and opinions, as long as they're not hurting others)

And when it comes to practice and mystical tradition, I'd say regardless of our starting point (subjective or objective) within our religions, we still go through processes of realization within the frameworks we're given - and sometimes it goes into very interesting fields of knowledge.

Baladas

An Págánach

I loved this. Thank you for sharing.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The picture representing the video seems needlessly demeaning to Muslims and Christians.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As this is in the comparative religion section this is a place to discuss and explore concepts, not to debate. In that spirit I offer my perspective. As an adherent of an Abrahamic Faith the video does not represent what I believe at all. An inevitable problem arises if we try to reduce any faith, that isn't our own to a few core principles. If we are going to truly compare concepts we need a much more profound understanding of both the Dharmic and Abrahamic Faiths under consideration.

Unfortunately, that's not possible. It's like you speaking Japanese and Hindu German. While both of you in your languages probably saying the same thing, we can't know that at all for sure (nor can't assume) unless there is a translator. The translator needs to be someone both sides will agree on.

How can you find a translator to know for sure both sides speak of the same thing before going deeper into religions foreign of each other?

I mean, Adrian, I would love to learn more about Hindu, but like you, I don't know the language in the culture and practice in which the language is spoken. Where do we start?

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Which makes me question the value of treating so-called faith blocks or religions as categories of any significance beyond culture and history.
The only reason that the video can make this point is because Hinduism is, generally speaking, somewhat more Tantric or Mystic than the Abrahamic group in general.

But I disagree that this is good enough of a reason to do so.