• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegetarians: What's Your Diet?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been looking into what vegetarian diets are particularly well-known to research and adopt one, as I'm currently planning to give up consuming meat (but not dairy, at least not yet) products.

So, for the vegetarians here: What diet(s) do you currently follow? And what are some of the most used ingredients in it?

Pescatarians are welcome to give their input too; pescatarianism is an option I'm also considering just in case I'm not able to go fully vegetarian yet.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Simply shifting your perspective by considering meat to be a condiment (bacon bits in salad, or pepperoni on your pizza) might be what works for you. I'm not vegetarian, but the idea of eating just plain meat seems like eating just plain ketchup, to me.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For an easy transition just eat what you'd normally eat minus the meat. Just increase portion sizes to make up for the deleted calories.

En'me

RightBehindEveryoneElse
I have been looking into what vegetarian diets are particularly well-known to research and adopt one, as I'm currently planning to give up consuming meat (but not dairy, at least not yet) products.

So, for the vegetarians here: What diet(s) do you currently follow? And what are some of the most used ingredients in it?

Pescatarians are welcome to give their input too; pescatarianism is an option I'm also considering just in case I'm not able to go fully vegetarian yet.

Hello,

I'm not a pescetarian, but have considered/tried being one when going paleo (paleo pesceterianism). I'd like to warn you about some pitfalls about going pescetarian:

- the fact that sea fish have got a considerable amount of mercury in them and can poison you if exceed recommended fish intake or eat larger fish that have less selenium and more mercury (selenium has been suggested to bind mercury to itself, preventing it from being absorbed)
- if you go with farmed fish, you should know that they're fed **** diets, the fish are crowded meaning there's more potential for disease and feces ingestion, PBC's (presence of various industrials chemicals) and all this calls for a very high dose of antibiotics to go along with it (higher than other meat sources)

But eating fish just a few times a week (1-3) might be enough, with or without dairy. Hope this helped a bit. ^.^

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Since a vegetarian diet is defined as NOT eating meat, fowl or fish then beyond this negative all else is personal preferences. ANY diet should (ideally) be varied, nutritionally balanced and all things in moderation. So it's up to you. I love avocado and dislike aubergine, but what's that got to do with anyone else's diet?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
But eating meat causes one after a while to terribly misspell words, along with other brain damage. :p

ti duzz knot! i ken spel just az good a sever. i haz eksellent spelling an gramer.

weight, wut ar we talking ubowt? i furgot. :confused:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

The classic Indian diet is high in whole grains and pulses, not to mention fruit and vegetables. Chick peas, all the dals (various lentils) are where we get most of our essential goodies. As some others have noted, it's a pretty easy transition if you have a brain.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I was vegetarian for a number of years and then transitioned to being pescatarian after further research.

The diet I follow focuses on natural foods and aims for being anti-inflammatory. I usually buy all organic stuff.

My main ingredients are:

Vegetables:
-Broccoli, Kale, Spinach, other green leaves, green beans, romaine lettuce, red pepper, chili pepper, onions, scallions,

Fruits:
-Apples, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, tangerines, dried apricots

Carbs:
-Brown rice commonly, potatoes sometimes, whole wheat pasta rarely. If you like sweet potatoes, they're awesomely healthy, but I don't like them.
-I have some cereals with like corn, amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa, and a bit of honey. They don't have gluten or added sugar.

Fats:
-Lots of olive oil for toppings, medium use of coconut oil for cooking, nuts like walnuts and almonds

Beans:
-Sprouted lentils, mung beans, and a few others

Herbs and Spices:
-Lots of everything. Cinnamon, garlic, basil, oregano, black pepper, coriander, cumin, nutmeg, etc.

Fish:
-Wild caught fish that are sustainably caught, low in mercury, and high in omega 3 fatty acids. This includes especially Alaskan sockeye salmon, but also occasionally Alaskan halibut, Alaskan sablefish, and Alaskan flounder. Mercury generally accumulates in fish that live long and high up on the food chain, but salmon has a short lifetime due to its breeding habits, so its mercury is generally very low. Also, wild-caught fish are extremely nutritionally different compared to farmed-caught fish. When it comes to the intersection of sustainability, mercury, and nutrition, it all depends on the species, location, and capture method.
-Mussels, a non-fish seafood.
-Rarely other seafood.

Dairy:
-I drink probably 3 ounces of whole milk per day (in cereal), and use butter a couple of times per week on potatoes and green beans.

Desserts:
-Dark chocolate (80-85% for me), and sometimes a bit of vanilla ice cream

Drinks:
-Water, green tea, white tea, sometimes herbal "teas", once in a while red wine.

Things I specifically exclude:
-Land animals. I had a phase of including some Amish-raised chicken so I was no longer pescetarian, but went back to fish-only.
-Highly processed oils ("vegetable" oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, soybean oil, etc)
-Highly processed foods (high fructose corn syrup, most things that come in a box)
-Added sugar, except rarely.
-Empty carbs (white bread, white rice, etc)
-Eggs.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
I eat alot of fruit, veggies and nuts. Tofu comes in handy.

Eggs as well. I try to be mostly vegan, but it's hard. Really hard and my situation in life makes it even harder.

But a nice lunch/dinner for me would be salad with cucumbers, black olives, carrots and a lemon squeezed on top as a better option to dressing.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
And if your like me, who never has time for a made breakfast, granola bar, a box of raisins and a bottle of cranberry juice (or red bull ;) ) does good

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram :namaste

I like this little fellow he looks so happy ....

metis.gif
thus proving Ahimsa is good for you .....

now to diet .... after many many years of vegan diet I can happily say dont stress about it too much but do eat un refined whole foods ....organic if you can ....and plenty of varied fruits and vegetables ...

brown rice and dhal of some description equals a complete protien ( vary the use of lentils dont allways eat the same ones every day)

some simple rules ...

eat plenty of dark green leafy veg and dark red fruits ,

eat as much as possible which is in season and local ,

try to avoid sprayed fruit and veg , and cling film wraping . (and plastic bottled waters)

unrefined grains and raw sugar ....

yeast extract is full of vitimins , brewers yeast for B vitimins ,

and learn to cook indian dishes then you will never want to go back to the old diet

fish :( ...no they have mothers too !

best wishes , be healthy and happy :)

p.s. ......what is this about meet eating making you spell badly !!!
.............so I blame my parents for making me eat it when I was little :(

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Great advice on here. I'd love to go fully veg again. I've been at my healthiest and slimmest during those times. It's hard to do with a omni husband though.

I think a lot of people would say to avoid processed stuff but in times where you really crave meat, fake meat can help. One thing I use regularly is soy mince to add in spaghetti sauce. It tastes nicer than meat mince, imo but of course depends on the brand and so on.

You don't want to over rely on fake meats and miss out on richer sources of vitamins found in beans, lentils and pulses. Nuts are also really nice to have they add a lot of flavour and texture. One of my favourite thing to have is a nut cutlet. But using fake meat now and then is quite a treat. Some people advice again soy but personally I never had issues with it nor have I found any evidence of it being bad. I love tofu. <3

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

For an easy transition just eat what you'd normally eat minus the meat. Just increase portion sizes to make up for the deleted calories.

I agree with this. Eventually, you'll wish to try out some of the vegetarian/vegan staples that are distinct from omnivorous meals....at least for me it was eggplants, lentils, chickpeas, all different squash, tofu, brown rice, quinoa, and seitan.

Happy vegetarianing!