• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegetarianism fights Global Warming

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Its in the friggin OP article I posted, xxxxx just click on the link, am I really having to deal with this level of ignorance.

Why should anyone have to dig through that article to find the proof when you should have already known it was there and linked it instead?

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
You mistook some MSN page for scientific research and then demanded that those who disagree provide evidence. You did not provide any scientific evidence, you have not shown you are able to recognize what this is, but you have made a claim that by your standards can be dismissed

I meant for you to quote him this time though.

XD

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I believe the scientific articles are mentioned in the MSN story.

Excuse me this is the second post I made clearly telling you to look in the article for the links to the papers, except NOOOO you couldn't do that rather ***** and moan about logic and I have to defend myself, well at least At least I can read!!!

Lyndon

Premium Member
Your friend Legion doesn't believe in Global warming, I think, that's why he's agreeing with you.........

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Excuse me this is the second post I made clearly telling you to look in the article for the links to the papers, except NOOOO you couldn't do that rather ***** and moan about logic and I have to defend myself, well at least At least I can read!!!

You see this is an example of an argument without merit.

And this is an example of the what I need to say to debunk it:

.......*Crickets Chirping*......

And debunked.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Your friend Legion doesn't believe in Global warming, I think, that's why he's agreeing with you.........

Making way to many assumptions.

Me and him Legion being friends?

I think this is the first time we met.

This about you taking the time to actually quote the scientific article, neither of us are currently affirming or denying that global warming is happening.

Lyndon

Premium Member
You mistook some MSN page for scientific research and then demanded that those who disagree provide evidence. You did not provide any scientific evidence, you have not shown you are able to recognize what this is, but you have made a claim that by your standards can be dismissed

No I posted an MSN article and suggested in my SECOND POST that people that wanted to know more click on the links in the article to read the scientific study, how was I to know that this whole process was too difficult for some of our readers? And still seems to be too difficult, judging from recent responses, have any of you actually read any of this stuff because you're not presenting any arguments against it, maybe you have no comprehension for what we're talking about, if so I suggest you go back to the OP read the article and click on the links in it if you want to know more.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Uh actually you do....

We would not know any of those things without scientific papers........

I'm pretty sure that it's just common sense that you will get less calories in one animal than you put into it via grains particularly over it's lifetime.

I'm no biologist but it stands to reason that a lot of that energy and water is "wasted" in terms of food production to simply make a product that people like to eat. If I remember correctly an average human will have about 40,000 calories worth in their body. That's only about 20 day's worth. Over a year the average person would eat about 730,000 calories. So if you took the person killed them for food... you would get only about 5.4% of the energy you put into it assuming you had this person for a year. That number gets smaller and smaller over time.

Now obviously this is just an example of one animal (us) imagine how much more so it is for something much bigger than us that eats a lot more calories... like a cow... and that there are hundreds of millions of people eating these cows.

Back when we had to hunt for it, it was different, the effort was worth it to the humans because it was a relatively quick way to get really rich and dense food. However there were also much less of us back then too.

We would of hunted and gathered all food to extinction if we didn't learn domestication... and we will farm everything to extinction if we don't learn something new again...

allfoak

Alchemist
For our incredibly lazy readers who don't know what a link is and can't click on a link IN THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE, here's the links

http://www.wri.org/blog/2016/04/sustainable-diets-what-you-need-know-12-charts

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2016/160419/ncomms11382/full/ncomms11382.html

For our incredibly short cited posters here on RF that don't understand much about life, here is a clue.
There are always going to be meat eaters and there are always going to be bleeding heart vegetarians.
Don't get your self in such an uproar over the fact that not everyone thinks like you do.

Lyndon

Premium Member
What meat eaters don't seem to understand is this issue is already decided, there isn't enough land for everyone to eat steak every night, not in this world, not in two worlds, Either people voluntarily cut back their meat consumption (I'll admit a long shot at best) or the shortage of available land and feed for meat bearing animals to be raised on is going to become much more expensive, and only wealthy people will be able to afford a diet rich in meat. Fact is meat is likely to get much more expensive and may even end up being taxed like sugar, or at least not subsidized by the government any more

allfoak

Alchemist
What meat eaters don't seem to understand is this issue is already decided, there isn't enough land for everyone to eat steak every night, not in this world, not in two worlds, Either people voluntarily cut back their meat consumption (I'll admit a long shot at best) or the shortage of available land and feed for meat bearing animals to be raised on is going to become much more expensive, and only wealthy people will be able to afford a diet rich in meat. Fact is meat is likely to get much more expensive and may even end up being taxed like sugar, or at least not subsidized by the government any more

Whew! I'm glad that's over.

allfoak

Alchemist
People like myself don't worry to much about things like coal or what others put in their belly.
I live my life as an example not a judge.

Kapalika

Premium Member

Let's take it further; let's institute hard restrictions on meat production least we kill the planet and ourselves. The situation is so dire as we have crossed so many nonreturnable lines. How much further can we go before the mass extinction causes a total collapse of the ecological structure we depend on to survive?

Just in my lifetime it is extremely likely I will see a breakdown of society in at least some aspects due to climate change.

allfoak

Alchemist
Let's take it further; let's institute hard restrictions on meat production least we kill the planet and ourselves. The situation is so dire as we have crossed so many nonreturnable lines. How much further can we go before the mass extinction causes a total collapse of the ecological structure we depend on to survive?

Just in my lifetime it is extremely likely I will see a breakdown of society in at least some aspects due to climate change.

The only thing that could change the direction we are headed in, is if everyone on the planet suddenly had an epiphany and we all started caring for one another.
I do believe that the US is about to fall as a super power as a result of it's moral degradation, which will drastically change the landscape of world politics.
If something does not change before that happens, the world is likely to descend into chaos.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Well I've seen in the space of ten years a massive attack on coal and oil production, with a branching out to solar and wind power, not enough to make much difference yet, but the wheels have been put in motion, by the time the rest of the climate change scientists come to realize that 50% of the Global warming precursors have to do, not with energy, but with factory farming for meat production, you're going to be having massive amounts of climate change scientists and government officials clamouring to reduce meat consumption, as well as the consumption of coal and oil. And as these forums make bitterly obvious taking away peoples meat is about as easy as banning their firearms so it will probably be accomplished in the form of making people pay the actual costs of their meats production which is going to get a lot more expensive as land, water, and farming costs go up.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Whilst personally I object to killing animals... It would be great if people in the developed world ate less meat. It would lessen the stress on the planet, people would probably get a bit healthier and there would be perhaps an increase in better animal treatment. One of the reasons for terrible factory farming is to keep up with the demand, which is ridiculously high and only projected to get higher. It's not realistic to think that everyone could eat the same amount of meat, have more sustainable farming and better animal treatment. But I feel that all too often, long-term benefits and logic is thrown out of the window in favour of short-term pleasure, so I won't be expecting this to happen unless there's some sharp shift in thinking (it could happen gradually but I don't think it is going fast enough, but seeing articles popping up lately about horrible farming is great).

Though another solution looming in the horizon is lab grown meat. It's simply cultivated animal cells that are allowed to grow in a very clean lab environment. I'd argue that's probably a heck of a lot cleaner, more pure and healthy than real meat (animals with diseases, lying down in faeces in tiny cages, antibiotics overuse, etc). I find it funny when people are scared of this because they think it's creepy or unnatural... I wish I could point them towards videos of factory farming and slaughterhouses because that is truly creepy and unnatural.