• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vanderbilt Muslim chaplain advocated capital punishment for gay people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
At a forum entitled "Common Ground: Being Muslim in the Military" on Jan. 25, Chaplain Awadh A. Binhazim responded to a question from student Devin Saucier, vice president of the V.U. chapter of conservative group Youth for Western Civilization, by saying he would have to "go with what Islam teaches" regarding the imposition of capital punishment on practicing homosexuals.
full story here.

Thoughts, especially from Muslim RF?

dust1n

Zindīq
Evangelicals have pushed for the corporal punishment in African countries for homosexuality as well. Islam is not the problem, bigotry and sexual repression are.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
At a forum entitled "Common Ground: Being Muslim in the Military" on Jan. 25, "Chaplain" Awadh A. Binhazim responded to a question from student Devin Saucier.
What makes this term amusing is that Binhazim isn't just a mere Chaplain.

"Chaplain" Awadh Amir Binhazim, D.V.M., M.S., Ph.D.

Awadh A. Binhazim, Ph.D. Muslim Student Association

Awadh A. Binhazim is currently a Professor of Pathology at Meharry Medical College and Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Adjunct Professor of Islam at the Divinity School, Vanderbilt University, Adjunct Professor of Africana Studies at Tennessee State University. Vanderbilt link that is cached. (Note: He was Adjunct Professor of Islam at the Divinity School, Vanderbilt University up to 2006 and does not appear on their lists any longer. Thank goodness they cache their old search results.)

The point is, this guy really knows his stuff and it is very telling that such a smart man waffled when asked the questions. His answers are most instructive. I challenge any Muslim on RF to defy what he is saying.

Evangelicals have pushed for the corporal punishment in African countries for homosexuality as well. Islam is not the problem, bigotry and sexual repression are.
Are you seriously comparing a bunch of Evangelical Christians to such an extremely well educated man? You might want to rethink your position and review the Youtube discussion a few more times. For your edification - The video.

Last edited:

LittleNipper

I see nothing wrong with punishment for fornication. Africa is overrun with AIDs, etc.
OR, are you not aware of this...

MSizer

MSizer
I see nothing wrong with punishment for fornication. Africa is overrun with AIDs, etc.

I don't know if you're just trying to get a rise out of people, in which case you're very immature, but if you meant that, immaturity is only the beginning.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Are you not aware that sick, twisted views like this are responsible for untold violence and human suffering throughout history? It's both sad and scary to see such diseased thoughts freely communicated.

A

angellous_evangellous

What makes this term amusing is that Binhazim isn't just a mere Chaplain.

Some clarity, though is needed:

"He is the Muslim chaplain at Vanderbilt, a volunteer position. He is not a professor of Islam and is not associated with Vanderbilt University Divinity School. He has adjunct associate professor status at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in pathology. This position, which carries no teaching or research responsibilities, is also unpaid."

johnhanks

You know how it is, when you're taking a walk in the country; you stroll around, turning over this log or that rock; then you turn one over and there's a snake under it.

Isn't this one of those moments?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Again, RF Muslims, your chance to clarify for us how you see the Islamic position on this controversial issue. If you think non-Muslims jump to improper generalizations, here's your chance to set us straight. Your views?

KatNotKathy

Wanna know my favorite thing about the Youth for Western Civilization?

They don't even try to hide their fascism.
2yobpy8.jpg

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Me neither. I see nothing wrong with punishing Fundamentalists when they fornicate. After all, Africa is overrun with AIDS in part because Fundies insist on combating AIDS with abstinence rather than with condoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.