• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UUs only: How do UUs respond to this?

spiritually inclined

The Emerson Avenger: UUA Unitarian*Universalist Membership Statistics Are Aging. . .

In 1992 I underwent a profound revelatory experience of God which revealed that the total solar eclipse "Eye of God" is a "Sign in the Heavens" that symbolizes God's divine omniscience. You may read about what Rev. Ray Drennan of the Unitarian Church of Montreal contemptuously dismissed as my "psychotic experience" here: Website Disabled - This revelatory religious experience inspired me to propose an inter-religious celebration of Creation that would take place whenever a total solar eclipse took place over our planet. You may read about what Rev. Ray Drennan and other leading members of the Unitarian Church of Montreal falsely and maliciously labeled as a "cult" here: Website Disabled - I am now an excommunicated Unitarian whose "alternative spiritual practice" includes publicly exposing and denouncing Unitarian*Universalist injustices, abuses, and hypocrisy. The Emerson Avenger blog will serve that purpose for me and hopefully others will share their concerns here. Dee Miller's term DIM Thinking is used frequently and appropriately on this blog. You may read more about what DIM Thinking is here - TakeCourage
Not all of the links in the above quote are available, though more information is on the website. I'm interested in what other UUs think of this.

edit: I am concerned not about membership statistics, but about the claim that Rev. Ray Drennan has been intolerant of a UUs beliefs concerning a mystical experience and worship.

James

Last edited:

Trey of Diamonds

I don't know all the history here but it sure looks like one persons crusade against the UU church and a minister he feels has slighted him. He is obviously self righteous and is incapable of considering the fact that he might be wrong. His actions have obliviously caused a great deal of pain and suffering to innocent people and he could care less. All he cares about is holding up his victim status like a badge of honor and hammering away at those who he feels have been unjust towards him. He's a classic Narcissist and possibly a sociopath. A true challenge to the inherent worth and dignity principle.

As to his religious beliefs, I'm happy he found a path that works for him but that doesn't excuse his behavior.

applewuud

There's no such thing as being "excommunicated" from "the" Unitarian church; each individual UU church sets its own criteria for membership. If an individual becomes disruptive and makes people feel endangered, they may ask him or her to leave in order to create a safe environment. Sounds like something like that happened.

Trey of Diamonds

There's no such thing as being "excommunicated" from "the" Unitarian church; each individual UU church sets its own criteria for membership. If an individual becomes disruptive and makes people feel endangered, they may ask him or her to leave in order to create a safe environment. Sounds like something like that happened.

Yep, that's exactly what happened. The church in question spent a decade trying to reconcile with the man and in the end asked him to leave the church. His choice to use the Catholic term excommunicated was to a deliberate attempt to highten his victim status. The entire story is a travisty and I feel for the church who has to put up with this man's abuse and abuse it certianly is, both mentally and spiritually.

Trey of Diamonds

Well, since this topic has been moved to a debate section you have your wish.

As mentioned, I don't have a complete history of your case, I only have what I have been able to see on the internet and what I see is someone who is attacking my church because he didn't get what he wanted although to be honest, I haven't been able to figure out just what it is you wanted. All the referenced links you give on your blog don't work so all I can find is your continued complaints. I did find a post or two in defense of the church which you were quick to attack as well. In fact all I see is a history of attacks from you and little or no evidence of any harm done specifically to you. You claim your attacks are defense but against what? Our existance? That seems to be the only crime I see.

The best I can conclude is that you and your church had a falling out, and possibly there were personal issue between you and the minister and you have inflated that mundane situation into a crime against humanity for your own personal gain.

A

angellous_evangellous

***MOD ADVISORY***

Several posts containing personal insults have been removed.

RF Staff

Cowboy Bebop

All Cattle and No Hat
He has responded on his own blog, sort of, though it looks like he can't handle actually examining criticism, he just deflects it to be about the church. It's sad because even by his admission kicking him out was a process that took years, and I don't doubt that there was lots of heartache involved, probably on both sides.

He links to an interesting blog called "Speaking Truth to Power" where there is a lady who has a much smarter approach to going about these things. It's interesting to see how many thoughtful responses her polite and interesting posts get.

But all you have to do is google the Emerson Avenger and you see that he pretty much runs around the internet annoying UUs. I'm not sure why he thinks that is helping his cause.
It's also interesting that he had what he says is a revelation from God, but he doesn't seem to care about that anymore, he just preaches about how horrible UUs are because of his bad experience.

I will pray for him, but I don't have a lot of hope for him. He's screaming so loud he can't hear the whispers of God.

Cowboy Bebop

All Cattle and No Hat
It's interesting to note that James started this thread actually concerned about what Drennan had done and open to EA's concerns, and that fifteen minutes of reading EA's hysteria convinced James that EA was a nut.

That must happen to EA constantly, but I'm sure he always assumes that UUs were never interested in his cause in the first place because they were falling in to line to protect this Drennan guy.

EA is his own worst enemy, but he just can't see that.

Trey of Diamonds

Yeah, I saw his blog post that pretty much slams me. That's what I get for poking the bear I suppose. Not much sense in trying to discuss things with him as he merely attacks over and over again all the while claiming it is him being attacked. If he ever did have a legitimate complaint is has long been lost. It does seem that he is somehow relating his treatment to the sexual missconduct of the clergy. That some how, the treatment he received is along the same lines of abuse as those who suffered sexual abuse. I'm not sure that is what he is saying but it seems to be. Hard to tell from his rants.

Cowboy Bebop

All Cattle and No Hat
Yes, he seems to think that people saying nasty things about him is equivilent to sexual abuse, but he says nasty things, too. So is he an abuser? :shrug:

I think conduct needs to be more than words to rise to the level of abuse. Most people have had nasty rumours spread about them at some point, after all. If we all spent years ranting about the first person who ever did that, society would grind to a halt as everyone remained obsessed with the mean girls in high school. But either way, EA is as bad as the people he's angry at, the only difference is that everyone ignores him. I wonder if someday he will say something cruel about someone who is as sensitive as he is and that person will spend ten years insulting EA all over the internet and protesting outside his house.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I've seen a similar situation in the past. Years ago I met someone who has devoted his whole life to tearing down the "cult" that I belonged to at the time. He took me back to his place and lectured me and showed me a "documentary" movie full of blatant lies and rediculous accusations. I just sat there completely silent. There was really nothing I could say in that situation, but that seemed to be the best thing to do at the time. He was like a boxer punching at the air, he ran out of steam, and then I left.

You can ignore him until he gets bored, or if interaction is necessary, kill him with kindness, or start your own blog. I'm glad it's being discussed here, but I hope it's not giving his blog more publicity. I never would have heard of him if it wasn't for this thread.

PS: I'll be an official UU this Sunday.

spiritually inclined

But all you have to do is google the Emerson Avenger and you see that he pretty much runs around the internet annoying UUs. I'm not sure why he thinks that is helping his cause.
It's also interesting that he had what he says is a revelation from God, but he doesn't seem to care about that anymore, he just preaches about how horrible UUs are because of his bad experience.

That is what I noticed. If this person has been so enlightened, why so much anger and playing the victim? GET OVER IT. Either he has not learned much from or integrated his allegedly spiritual experience, he has interpreted it in such a way that it has gone to his head, it never happened, etc.

In any case, he's definitely not someone I'd want to go to for spiritual guidance. Assuming his story is true in all of its details -- something I highly doubt -- he could be using his time opposing much more evil against humanity than the UUA or an individual congregation.

James