• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utah’s medical marijuana ballot measure would violate Mormons’ religious beliefs,

tytlyf

Not Religious
Mormon's aren't relevant when it comes to secular laws. Don't let religious types try to legislate laws on everyone. They already ban alcohol purchases on Sundays. Religious inspired laws go against the founding of this great nation.

Shad

Veteran Member
I realize that, but it's not a rational explanation for a situation that exists throughout the United States. Utah was one of the first states, I believe, to restrict smoking in public places for the simple reason that second-hand smoke is a health hazard. Everybody who was upset about it blamed the LDS Church for trying to impose its beliefs on society as a whole. It was not long, though, before such laws existed in every state. People had to find someone else to blame in the other 49 states. I mean, if there's a correlation, fine; call people's attention to it, but don't invent one.

LDS as an organization is a convenient scapegoat. Scapegoating rarely makes sense.

ecco

Veteran Member
From the article linked in the OP:
The lawsuit takes issue with a provision of the ballot measure that would prevent landlords from not renting to a medical marijuana cardholder, saying that could create an issue of Mormon property owners being forced into renting to people who use cannabis.​

That's quite different from the arguments against smoking in restaurants.