• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utah’s medical marijuana ballot measure would violate Mormons’ religious beliefs,

Yeah, but no one forces them to smoke marijuana just like no one forces Jewish people to eat non-kosher food. They need to stop being snowflakes and grow up a bit.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Last I checked there weren't only Mormons in America. Hey here's a thought, you don't have to buy it.

You know maybe we should cut out electricity too it might offend the Amish, but we won't see any true Amish in here because they abstain from the use of electricity.

Baladas

An Págánach
No one is forcing them to smoke it or otherwise ingest it. This is simply another case of a religious group attempting to legislate from their holy book, imposing their values on others. This is wrong.

HonestJoe

I'm only slightly surprised by this story. But only slightly. Opening the door to discrimination even a little bit inevitably results in a flood of ever more extreme efforts to discriminate based on religion.
I can’t access that source from Europe but all the other sources I found didn’t have anything about Mormons objecting on a religious basis, only them raising some legal and practical concerns about specific proposals (some of which seem quite reasonable).

Is there a direct quote form an LDS spokesperson actually saying that or is it just someone else’s “interpretation”?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I'm only slightly surprised by this story. But only slightly. Opening the door to discrimination even a little bit inevitably results in a flood of ever more extreme efforts to discriminate based on religion.

Utah’s medical marijuana ballot measure would violate Mormons’ religious beliefs, opponents say in new court filing, which initiative supporters call a ‘Hail Mary’

Not sure I understand what the problem is with cannabis being used medicinally? Since it is not used to get high, but specially produced for some conditions with greatly reduced amounts of THC (the psychoactive component of cannabis) and because it is not administered by smoking but is usually taken in the form of drops of oil placed sublingually; there is no danger of becoming "high" or ever getting addicted.

Alcohol is legal and so is tobacco, but both of these are costing the health systems in many countries billions of dollars. Cannabis OTOH is a "natural" product that can be used as an effective medicine in many conditions.....God-given and beneficial, it still carries a lot of unwanted stigma because big pharma lied about it for the last 70 years or so, just so that they can market their drugs. Had cannabis been legal all this time, many of those drugs (along with their unwanted side effects) would have been unnecessary.....and a lot of people who died would have probably have lived a lot longer......:(

There is no medical reason for why cannabis is illegal.....and there is no religious reason why either....so why is this medicine still not freely available to all of us? :shrug: In a word...."GREED".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not sure I understand what the problem is with cannabis being used medicinally? Since it is not used to get high, but specially produced for some conditions with greatly reduced amounts of THC (the psychoactive component of cannabis) and because it is not administered by smoking but is usually taken in the form of drops of oil placed sublingually; there is no danger of becoming "high" or ever getting addicted.

Alcohol is legal and so is tobacco, but both of these are costing the health systems in many countries billions of dollars. Cannabis OTOH is a "natural" product that can be used as an effective medicine in many conditions.....God-given and beneficial, it still carries a lot of unwanted stigma because big pharma lied about it for the last 70 years or so, just so that they can market their drugs. Had cannabis been legal all this time, many of those drugs (along with their unwanted side effects) would have been unnecessary.....and a lot of people who died would have probably have lived a lot longer......:(

There is no medical reason for why cannabis is illegal.....and there is no religious reason why either....so why is this medicine still not freely available to all of us? :shrug: In a word...."GREED".
In states where medical Marijuana (why did my spell checker change that "m" to an upper case?) is legal people can take it any way that they want, and doctors tend to give prescriptions to anyone. I am for the legalization of marijuana. I do not like how medical marijuana is abused.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
They're Mormon's, not that bright anyway. :D I'd worry about breaking the rules here about offending a religion, but they're not even allowed to talk to anyone but Mormons. So, no worries! :D (more jokes!)

I mean, they think they're all going to receive their own planets.

Not much difference between them and flat earthers, except the flat earth is more likely.
Some people are such idiots, and I'm not talking about Mormons. I'm talking about anybody gullible enough to believe some of the nonsense that is disseminated about Mormonism. Hey, but that's just me, a Mormon, talking to you, a Satanist, even though I'm supposedly not allowed to. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm for the legalization of medical marijuana, just so we have that cleared up. But what on earth does greed have to do with the issue?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I'm for the legalization of medical marijuana, just so we have that cleared up. But what on earth does greed have to do with the issue?
The legalization of medical marijuana would cut into profits of those selling opioids. And they will never make the same profit selling pot.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I can’t access that source from Europe but all the other sources I found didn’t have anything about Mormons objecting on a religious basis, only them raising some legal and practical concerns about specific proposals (some of which seem quite reasonable).

Is there a direct quote form an LDS spokesperson actually saying that or is it just someone else’s “interpretation”?
Yes, there is an official statement from the LDS Church. Thanks for asking. I can't say I am in agreement with it, but at least now we've got the reasons behind the Church's objections -- for those like you, who actually seem to want the facts.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The legalization of medical marijuana would cut into profits of those selling opioids. And they will never make the same profit selling pot.
It was my opinion that Deeje's statement concerned the LDS Church's stance on medical marijuana. If I was wrong about that, then your post makes sense. But there still a great many states where medical Marijuana is illegal. Why is the Mormon Church to blame in Utah but not everywhere else?

Last edited:

HonestJoe

Yes, there is an official statement from the LDS Church. Thanks for asking. I can't say I am in agreement with it, but at least now we've got the reasons behind the Church's objections -- for those like you, who actually seem to want the facts.
Thanks. My key point (and the element that made no sense) was the claim that the LDS expressed a religious objection, which appears to have been a lie.

They actually seem to be presenting very calm and reasoned assessment of the specific proposal and don't even express any unconditional objection to medical marijuana in principle. The main issues are about how the system is managed and the risks from inconsistency between state and federal law.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Thanks. My key point (and the element that made no sense) was the claim that the LDS expressed a religious objection, which appears to have been a lie.

They actually seem to be presenting very calm and reasoned assessment of the specific proposal and don't even express any unconditional objection to medical marijuana in principle. The main issues are about how the system is managed and the risks from inconsistency between state and federal law.
I agree. My problem (as a more-liberal-than-most Mormon) is that I really kind of wish they'd just not get involved at all. It would be different if Utah had more religious diversity and a half dozen different religions were weighing in. Unfortunately, though, there are a lot of Mormons here in Utah who will just take anything their religious leaders say as having come directly from God. It's not really even the leaders' fault in that regard. They don't say or even imply that they are speaking for God in matters of this sort, but a lot of Mormons seems to think that if a statement comes from "the Brethren," it must be obeyed, and oftentimes obeyed without any thought put into it. They seem to feel that disagreeing with Church leadership somehow implies that they are at odds with God himself. This is not a doctrinal thing at all; it's a cultural thing here in Utah, and is probably not even the case in areas where Mormons are the minority.