• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[US] Criticism of our Senate Structure

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I have been pretty frustrated with the way the Senate has been set up for the last year or so. At first, I was angry with Senator McConnell but last week I realized he is only a symptom of a potential problem coming to light. It is my (expert :p) opinion, that if a piece of legislation passes the House of Representatives, it should automatically get a vote in the Senate. I hold this opinion regardless of who the Senate Majority Leader is. That is, it could be Elizabeth Warren and my opinion would be similar.

Often I am frustrated not with outcomes of government votes and actions (after all the Republicans won the Senate fair and square) but instead of intentional delay/obstruction of due process. For example, if a piece of legislation passes the House and then flops in a Senate vote, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me. That is the process in action. At least then we have voting records and we, as citizens, can lobby our politicians and reference said voting records. As it stands now, I am pretty nervous with one person holding the key to a vote.

Thoughts?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
one question:
don't you think a female senator should be called senatrix?
sounds better...:)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I have been pretty frustrated with the way the Senate has been set up for the last year or so. At first, I was angry with Senator McConnell but last week I realized he is only a symptom of a potential problem coming to light. It is my (expert :p) opinion, that if a piece of legislation passes the House of Representatives, it should automatically get a vote in the Senate. I hold this opinion regardless of who the Senate Majority Leader is. That is, it could be Elizabeth Warren and my opinion would be similar.

Often I am frustrated not with outcomes of government votes and actions (after all the Republicans won the Senate fair and square) but instead of intentional delay/obstruction of due process. For example, if a piece of legislation passes the House and then flops in a Senate vote, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me. That is the process in action. At least then we have voting records and we, as citizens, can lobby our politicians and reference said voting records. As it stands now, I am pretty nervous with one person holding the key to a vote.

Thoughts?

The fly in the ointment here is that the bills voted on in the House are determined by the Speaker of the House (guess who that is). She is known to kill Republican bills before they even reach the floor. Not saying you're wrong, but by having a bicameral Congress we can temper the power of the parties as well as the individuals.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The fly in the ointment here is that the bills voted on in the House are determined by the Speaker of the House (guess who that is). She is known to kill Republican bills before they even reach the floor. Not saying you're wrong, but by having a bicameral Congress we can temper the power of the parties as well as the individuals.
Hmm, that is a good point. That one is trickier to solve.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Thoughts?
I like that idea. I remember when Republicans kept calling for an "up or down vote" until they did not want one for political reasons. They should all put their votes where their mouths are Republican or Democrat.