• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US cops zap schoolgirl

Unedited

I believe the police were fine with what they did. Their choices seemed to be either use the tazer or tackle the girl. The chances of the tazer harming the girl seem to be rare if at all, while the damage done to tackle the girl is almost certain.

Fluffy said:
What I don't understand is why the US advises their police force not to use tasers on people with suspected heart conditions but its for everyone else. How can something which can kill a person with a heart condition cause ZERO damage to a person with no heart condition.
Because the only damage tazers can do, is stop their hearts. And you'd have to have a very poor heart for this to happen.

Colorado

Unedited said:
I believe the police were fine with what they did. Their choices seemed to be either use the tazer or tackle the girl. The chances of the tazer harming the girl seem to be rare if at all, while the damage done to tackle the girl is almost certain.

Because the only damage tazers can do, is stop their hearts. And you'd have to have a very poor heart for this to happen.
Ah dude, I'll repeat Kowalski, this was a 12, yeah 12 year old girl, man were the Cops so scared by a school girl lol lol that they had to shock her, man those cops are just representive of the let em have it brigade, the Kid wasn't a liberal was she huh ? If I was her daddy, you betta they'd be trouble brewing for the school and the Cops, where's my lawyer.

Colorado Springs

Fluffy

A fool
Why does this only happen if you have a poor heart? Surely having a poor heart would only increase the chance of a danger which exists for everybody. Electricity can be used to change the beat of the heart which is dangerous and this can happen no matter whether you have a poorly heart or not.

Besides on a side note... how can the cops tell whether the person they shoot has a poorly heart or not? People of all ages can have a bad ticker so this girl could easily of had one. If I were the cop I simply would not want to take the risk of killing a 12 year old when I could easily over power her even if it meant she got more hurt physically (unlikely).

Aqualung

Tasty
Fluffy said:
Besides on a side note... how can the cops tell whether the person they shoot has a poorly heart or not?
They can't. Or how can they tell you're not severly allergic to peppers? Or how can they tell that you're not asthmatic, so if they chase you you'll have an attack and die? They can't. That's why you shoudn't run from the cops

Melody

Kowalski said:
In an astonishing incident reported today in the Sun Newspaper (?) it was reported that Cops in Cincinatti USA zapped a 12 year old schoolgirl with a Taser Stun gun. Teachers had called police when this dangerous kid refused to go to lessons. The school kid now faces charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

It could only happen in America...:clap

Cheers

Kowalski
And this is surprising why? In the last 6 months a school called the cops on a 5 year old who was behaving like a....oh wait...a 5 year old. They handcuffed this child and put her in the cop car. Disgusting.

Unless the 12 year old had a weapon, there is no excuse for using a tazer on her. The cops involved should be docked a few weeks pay. Hit *them* where it hurts.

Ryan2065

Melody said:
Unless the 12 year old had a weapon, there is no excuse for using a tazer on her. The cops involved should be docked a few weeks pay. Hit *them* where it hurts.
Everyone is so down on the police. The tazer keeps the kid from doing anything. How did they know this kid wouldn't say grab for the guns? They spent 30 minutes trying to calm down the child, the police do have guns, it would be reasonable to assume that if the child was behaving badly and would not listen to police and even tried to strike a police officer (as the report said the 12 year old did) then it would be reasonable to assume the child could want to grab for either a weapon or the gun on the police officer. All that the gun does is hurt the child for a few minutes then everything is fine. This is all. I think people are against the police on this one because of their own ignorance.

**Edit** also, just to throw this out there... Normal stun guns are 100,000 volts and I am pretty sure they are not considered lethal. Police use 50,000 volt guns. Just throwing that out there. =)

Fluffy

A fool
They can't. Or how can they tell you're not severly allergic to peppers? Or how can they tell that you're not asthmatic, so if they chase you you'll have an attack and die? They can't. That's why you shoudn't run from the cops
Thats true Ill concede you that point. Besides I feel that the chance of death by taser is low enough to warrant its use.

However, apparently one should not sit on a tube train reading a newspaper when the cops are around either.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
http://www.policespecials.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t10177.html

"I doubt very much they'll become "personal issue". They require a high degree of training and understanding of physiology to use. Some people argue that "stun guns" are more damaging to the victim than shooting them with a firearm. Basically, because in some instances, a small proportion of people who are "stunned" become vegetables. Adding to this fact, they are often open to abuse. For example, they may be used to shift people legally protesting etc.
Anyway, the point i'm making is that the MET aren't just going to hand them out willy-nilly to all officers. "

:eek:

Melody

Aqualung said:
SHE WAS BITING!!! They didn't know what sort of diseases she could have had. What would you rather they have done? Pepper sprayed her? Pepper spray does actual damage. Tasers just hurt real bad. Tackled her and beat her with their night sticks. Same results as pepper spray.
As a teacher we were taught how to deal with combative "children". First rule...do not back them into a corner. Explain why they did not call this girl's parents and have them come get her. I taught in inner city schools and I'm telling you that there is nothing that scares the living bejabbers out of the toughest of these kids than to threaten to call their mother or grandmother.

If that had been me, I would've said fine. You can either go to detention or I'm on the phone to your parent, waited a few seconds and then fulfilled the promise.

Grabbing her arm is a power play left over from when the adult was capable of picking up a small child and physically forcing them to do their will.

We live in a sick world when adults have so little common sense they don't know how to defuse a situation before it gets to the point where they are bitten....or gunned down in the classroom.

Melody

Aqualung said:
Yep and all cops are honest and that's why when they come to your door without a warrant and want to search your house, you should just say "no problem". After all, if you have nothing to hide.....blech.

Melody

Aqualung said:
well, that's what you get for messing with the cops, resisting arresting, and trying to bite them. it's your just deserts.
Now that's a scary comment. A death sentence because the cops went straight to physical force (grabbing her arm) rather than trying to find out what the problem is...getting the parents involved...etc.?

I find that much more horrific and scary than a copy with a taser.

Melody

Unedited said:
I believe the police were fine with what they did. Their choices seemed to be either use the tazer or tackle the girl.
I sincerely doubt these were their only choices. How about not back her into a corner where she started fighting back? Nope...brute force is always the answer. Not.

Ryan2065

michel said:
"I doubt very much they'll become "personal issue". They require a high degree of training and understanding of physiology to use. Some people argue that "stun guns" are more damaging to the victim than shooting them with a firearm. Basically, because in some instances, a small proportion of people who are "stunned" become vegetables. Adding to this fact, they are often open to abuse. For example, they may be used to shift people legally protesting etc.
Anyway, the point i'm making is that the MET aren't just going to hand them out willy-nilly to all officers. "
That is just a person voicing their opinion, no actual data to back it up... It would be as if I came on here and said that stun guns were found to be 100% safe and only people with weird complications would be hurt... You of course would ask for proof =)

Melody

Ryan2065 said:
Everyone is so down on the police. The tazer keeps the kid from doing anything. How did they know this kid wouldn't say grab for the guns? They spent 30 minutes trying to calm down the child, the police do have guns, it would be reasonable to assume that if the child was behaving badly and would not listen to police and even tried to strike a police officer (as the report said the 12 year old did) then it would be reasonable to assume the child could want to grab for either a weapon or the gun on the police officer. )
Gimme a break. If two adult cops cannot take down a 12 year old who weighs 120 pounds, then they should be fired. I worked in a psychiatric hospital and could taken down a 250 lb man *on my own* using the right technique. I'm sure the police get even better training and they're probably bigger than I am.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ryan2065 said:
That is just a person voicing their opinion, no actual data to back it up... It would be as if I came on here and said that stun guns were found to be 100% safe and only people with weird complications would be hurt... You of course would ask for proof =)
Ah, oK will you volunteer you and your entire family to be used to test Tazers on ? I take it you are interested in data............

Of course, to have data, one would need a few people with heart problems.I dare say a local old folk's hom,e could provide some volunteers.:rolleyes:

Ryan2065

Melody said:
As a teacher we were taught how to deal with combative "children". First rule...do not back them into a corner. Explain why they did not call this girl's parents and have them come get her. I taught in inner city schools and I'm telling you that there is nothing that scares the living bejabbers out of the toughest of these kids than to threaten to call their mother or grandmother.

If that had been me, I would've said fine. You can either go to detention or I'm on the phone to your parent, waited a few seconds and then fulfilled the promise.
Do you honestly believe that they did not try to contact the parents before calling the police? It doesn't say if they did or didn't but to automatically assume that they did not call the parents... well that just shows that your down on the schools and will assume the worst.

Melody said:
Yep and all cops are honest and that's why when they come to your door without a warrant and want to search your house, you should just say "no problem". After all, if you have nothing to hide.....blech.
Because this happens so often... Any lawyer with a small spec of a brain would be able to get their client off if this happened. They would ask to see a copy of the search warrent and a detailed description of where they found everything to make sure it was all in compliance with the search warrent.... Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

Melody said:
Now that's a scary comment. A death sentence because the cops went straight to physical force (grabbing her arm) rather than trying to find out what the problem is...getting the parents involved...etc.?

I find that much more horrific and scary than a copy with a taser.
Where does it say someone died? Where does it say there was even a 1% chance of someone dieing here? The child fought with the cops for 30 minutes. Then she took a swing at one of the cops when he tried to back away from her... Thats when they shot the taser.

Melody said:
Gimme a break. If two adult cops cannot take down a 12 year old who weighs 120 pounds, then they should be fired. I worked in a psychiatric hospital and could taken down a 250 lb man *on my own* using the right technique. I'm sure the police get even better training and they're probably bigger than I am.
Right, because in ALL situations 2 police can take down a 12 year old. How do you know that there were no weapons around the child? Or that the child had 0 chance to get a gun from the holster of the police... Actually I would be the child had more chance of getting a gun from the cops if she tried than actually dieing from the tazer.

Ryan2065

michel said:
Ah, oK will you volunteer you and your entire family to be used to test Tazers on ? I take it you are interested in data............

Of course, to have data, one would need a few people with heart problems.I dare say a local old folk's hom,e could provide some volunteers.
rolleyes.gif
Well for one my dad had a tazer set on him because he is a police officer and its part of their training.

For two... Well you do realize that you do not need to do tests on old folks to see if they will die or not... You could compare heart data, find out how much a tazer speeds up the heart on average and then compare that with data on how much you need your heart sped up in order to have a heart attack.

Melody

Ryan2065 said:
It doesn't say if they did or didn't but to automatically assume that they did not call the parents... well that just shows that your down on the schools and will assume the worst.
To automatically assume they did suggests that you have been brainwashed to accept that "authority figures" are always in the right and will do the right thing.

Ryan2065 said:
Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.
You missed my point completely. The comment "you should never run from police" or you deserve what you get suggests that the police always have right on their side. In which case, why do we need search warrants? No conspiracy theory but if you want to drop into little cutesy sound bites...go for it.

Ryan2065 said:
Where does it say someone died? Where does it say there was even a 1% chance of someone dieing here? The child fought with the cops for 30 minutes. Then she took a swing at one of the cops when he tried to back away from her... Thats when they shot the taser.
Again...if two adult cops could not take down this "dangerous" child then they need to go back for some retraining. Tazers are not harmless and we have yet to see the long term effects....particularly on children.

Ryan2065 said:
Right, because in ALL situations 2 police can take down a 12 year old. How do you know that there were no weapons around the child? Or that the child had 0 chance to get a gun from the holster of the police
Because if she could take the gun off them, then they're incompetent. I don't know about all situations. In this situation where the cop was able to grab her arm, he should certainly have been able to take her down....but I'm sure it was easier to use the tazer because he didn't even have to break a sweat.

We obviously come from two different backgrounds. I grew up in a small town where the mafia controlled the local authorities and went to school with the kids of the mafia. As recently as the last 5 years (I think), the entire police department of our little town was indicted from the police chief on down to the lowliest cop. So, no, I'm not brainwashed to believe that just because they have a badge and gun, they're everything that is right and good in the world.

Same for the school systems. I taught in the school system until I couldn't stomach the rampant stupidity anymore. Now my motto is? Those who can *do*. Those who can't *teach*. Those who can't teach become administrators.

Yes there are good cops and good teachers...some excellent...but to assume they all are and say "gee, if they had to handcuff a 5 year old, or taze a 12 year old, it must be ok or they wouldn't have done it" just smacks of lunacy.

Fluffy

A fool
Ahem 3 cops :).

Because this happens so often... Any lawyer with a small spec of a brain would be able to get their client off if this happened. They would ask to see a copy of the search warrent and a detailed description of where they found everything to make sure it was all in compliance with the search warrent.... Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.
Its not a conspiracy theory. Why are cops and politicians unable to commit crimes against humanity when the rest of humanity manages just fine?

Or that the child had 0 chance to get a gun from the holster of the police... Actually I would be the child had more chance of getting a gun from the cops if she tried than actually dieing from the tazer.
So what your saying is that, because the police were carrying weaponry, the police were forced to use that weaponry?