• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Upside-down flag fixed by fire department in Missouri

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Flipped-over American flag set right after sharp-eyed Missouri cop, an Air Force vet, gets firefighters' help

This was a weird story.

A Missouri police officer and Air Force veteran enlisted the help of the local fire department to fix an American flag that was accidentally hanging upside-down in Missouri on Saturday outside a local business.

Independence police Officer David Wehlermann was on patrol when he saw the flag's top attachment to the flagpole had broken off, "causing the whole flag to hang from the bottom improperly," police said in a Facebook post.

After he finished responding to a call, he contacted the business, but the managers said they would be unable to fix the flag until Monday, according to police. That's when the Air Force veteran took matters into his own hands, telling Fox News that couldn't "let it stay like that."

“They said they got a lot of angry calls from passersby about the flag upside down, so I called dispatch and requested that a ladder truck come out, and the great crew of Ladder 2 came out and fixed the flag,” Wehlermann said. "I love this country. I fought for it. It's the greatest nation in the Earth. It’s a symbol of freedom for the world, and I want it to be rightly displayed.”

50599269_2266711666694997_41202372889804800_n.jpg

Apparently, the line had broken, so they just couldn't lower it. They called out the fire department to rescue the flag.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
why do the flag means so much to people? I never understood that.

Idealism. It's a way to unite folks under an idea who otherwise wouldn't have any reason to be working together. Humans for the most part IMO are self-interested so you generally need some common idealism to unite folks under. Like nationalism or religion or culture to get people to work together. So a flag is a symbol of nationalism that can motivate people to work for a common goal.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's what it represents. A collective symbol of unity and fraternity and identification.

Same goes for things like sports flags or institutional Flags.

Even an upside down flag is a sign of distress here in the states which is probably why the police and fire responded.

It's good to see people still patriotic enough to fly the flag. We're social creatures on this planet and it's good to have a national identity and fraternity as a collective of people.

Not to mention a valuable reminder of those who had actually died for the country as the flag spans generations of which it's flown for everyone who has ever lived in this country as one of its citizens.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I think it's hard for people from most countries to grasp the difference between old, relatively homogeneous, nations and cultures and countries like the USA.
Our entire history is a morality story about internal strife and division and oppression. Unification of disparate people is kind of a thing here, despite (or because of) our seriously troubled past. That's what the flag is supposed to represent.
Tom

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Think of it as a drill. Well worth the practice for First Responders and emergency personnel that can stay on top of their A game.
I can see how one might argue that, but I disagree. The business owner should reimburse the police and FD for their work, or should have denied them access to do it (and who knows, maybe he/she already has). Now it's one expense of business that the operator has just dodged because a well-meaning officer and the fire department were more concerned about something other than the public's health and safety, and placed the cost of repairing private property onto the public's funds, personnel and equipment.

At least in my opinion. Others' mileage may vary.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I can see how one might argue that, but I disagree. The business owner should reimburse the police and FD for their work, or should have denied them access to do it (and who knows, maybe he/she already has). Now it's one expense of business that the operator has just dodged because a well-meaning officer and the fire department were more concerned about something other than the public's health and safety, and placed the cost of repairing private property onto the public's funds, personnel and equipment.

At least in my opinion. Others' mileage may vary.
I'm pretty sure if a real emergency had occurred they would have just dropped it for the moment and prioritized.

It's understandable what you're trying to say yet I would disagree only for the point that I see we are getting far too sterile and impersonal as a nation, and to see endeavors like this occur from time to time are pretty much a morale booster and provides an overall community spirit where people can communicate and work together even on issues that may not be high in priority. Like the good ole' days used to be.

Sometimes I think we lose sight that we should not always put a value on the little things that can be well worth the cost on the long run.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I'm not exactly sure(and I'm saying all this from an American's viewpoint of the American flag.I can not speak for other cultures.) but it has a lot to do with patriotism in the US. You can't really go very far in the US without seeing a flag. Most people see it to represent freedom and this country. America I read was rated the 2nd most patriotic country some while ago can't remember exactly when but it's no surprise the flag is such a big deal. If I was to try to picture what is the most important part of American patriotism/history the flag is one of the first things to show up in my mind. Also you are raised to find it important.Since kindergarten each school year I've had to say the pledge to the flag everyday of the school year. Like everyday. And not doing so is seen as disrespectful to a lot of people. It's been 12 school years.This is no joke.Us Americans take our flag too seriously at times. I think that this is a nice thing that this guy has done. I'm not opposed to it I think it's great but there are more important things to life then a flag.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I'm not exactly sure(and I'm saying all this from an American's viewpoint of the American flag.I can not speak for other cultures.) but it has a lot to do with patriotism in the US. You can't really go very far in the US without seeing a flag. Most people see it to represent freedom and this country. America I read was rated the 2nd most patriotic country some while ago can't remember exactly when but it's no surprise the flag is such a big deal. If I was to try to picture what is the most important part of American patriotism/history the flag is one of the first things to show up in my mind. Also you are raised to find it important.Since kindergarten each school year I've had to say the pledge to the flag everyday of the school year. Like everyday. And not doing so is seen as disrespectful to a lot of people. It's been 12 school years.This is no joke.Us Americans take our flag too seriously at times. I think that this is a nice thing that this guy has done. I'm not opposed to it I think it's great but there are more important things to life then a flag.
This took more editing then it should have.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

My dad and most on his side of the family were always very respectful of the flag. I remember my dad's neighborhood, and a lot of times, every house on the block would have their flag out. I guess it symbolizes certain American ideals - freedom, democracy; it's symbolic of one's patriotism and support for America. Many people don't like to see the flag disrespected in any way.

At least from what I've seen in my lifetime, a lot of people did show disrespect for the flag and thumbed their nose at the government and military over things like Vietnam and other government activities. With that kind of opposition out in the open, perhaps those who were more patriotic felt the need to overcompensate for that. I recall that, by the time of the First Gulf War in 1990-91, there were a lot of discussions about how the public might react and if it would turn out like the opposition against the Vietnam War. So, there was a big push to "support the troops." That is, even if someone was against the war, they should address their grievances to the politicians and not take it out on the troops in uniform who were just doing their job. And supporting the flag is not so much supporting the government, but America itself.

Sometimes, I often can't fathom it myself. But growing up with my dad and most of his family, it was just how it was. We didn't really question it much; it was just considered the natural thing to be patriotic for America and respectful of the flag. We believed we were on the side of good, and anyone who opposed America was evil.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
My dad and most on his side of the family were always very respectful of the flag. I remember my dad's neighborhood, and a lot of times, every house on the block would have their flag out. I guess it symbolizes certain American ideals - freedom, democracy; it's symbolic of one's patriotism and support for America. Many people don't like to see the flag disrespected in any way.

At least from what I've seen in my lifetime, a lot of people did show disrespect for the flag and thumbed their nose at the government and military over things like Vietnam and other government activities. With that kind of opposition out in the open, perhaps those who were more patriotic felt the need to overcompensate for that. I recall that, by the time of the First Gulf War in 1990-91, there were a lot of discussions about how the public might react and if it would turn out like the opposition against the Vietnam War. So, there was a big push to "support the troops." That is, even if someone was against the war, they should address their grievances to the politicians and not take it out on the troops in uniform who were just doing their job. And supporting the flag is not so much supporting the government, but America itself.

Sometimes, I often can't fathom it myself. But growing up with my dad and most of his family, it was just how it was. We didn't really question it much; it was just considered the natural thing to be patriotic for America and respectful of the flag. We believed we were on the side of good, and anyone who opposed America was evil.
try to imagine what the response would have been to someone in the community that you remember, who chose NOT to fly the flag along with everyone else...(and it doesn't matter in the least WHY they chose not to display the flag...)

Would their freedom of speech to NOT display a flag if they didn't want to be honored and respected by everyone else in the community? Or would they be threatened, shunned, insulted, called evil, etc., by your family and the other families in the community...because they weren't showing the proper patriotism?

Pretty sure it would be the latter...it certainly was in the community I grew up in. It's been true in the various communities I have lived and worked in. It's true in the community in which I live now.

Nope, not a big deal at all...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
try to imagine what the response would have been to someone in the community that you remember, who chose NOT to fly the flag along with everyone else...(and it doesn't matter in the least WHY they chose not to display the flag...)

Would their freedom of speech to NOT display a flag if they didn't want to be honored and respected by everyone else in the community? Or would they be threatened, shunned, insulted, called evil, etc., by your family and the other families in the community...because they weren't showing the proper patriotism?

Pretty sure it would be the latter...it certainly was in the community I grew up in. It's been true in the various communities I have lived and worked in. It's true in the community in which I live now.

Nope, not a big deal at all...

Well, my father was generally pretty tolerant and decent, although there were others in my extended family who might have been like you describe. My mother was quite liberal by comparison. She was anti-war and pro-hippie and sometimes got into arguments with some of the conservatives in our old neighborhood.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think it's hard for people from most countries to grasp the difference between old, relatively homogeneous, nations and cultures and countries like the USA.
Our entire history is a morality story about internal strife and division and oppression. Unification of disparate people is kind of a thing here, despite (or because of) our seriously troubled past. That's what the flag is supposed to represent.
Tom
Ironically, it seems to me that these days, how much importance a person puts on the American flag tends to correlate with how much they're into sowing division, strife, and oppression. Not always, but a lot.

The ones I really don't understand are the ones who festoon themselves in the flag in ways that disrespect the flag: putting it on T-shirts, paper plates, etc.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Personally i have no relationship to the Norwegian flag, i dont even own one
I have a small Ameristanian flag.
I keep it in Mr Van, just in case I'm ever pulled over by the cops, & searched.

Should I get a Bible too?