• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Upon this rock", which rock?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The point is that the Catholic Church [original informal name was "the Way" and then in the 2nd century "Christian" and then in the 3rd century and from then on the "Catholic [Universal] Church" is the church that emerged from Jesus and the Apostles and their appointees as Acts and most of the epistles show. This is not speculation nor religion-- it's historical fact.

However, this does not mean nor imply that all other churches are bogus or that one cannot seek salvation outside the Catholic Church even if some, like Origen for example, did question whether that was possible.

Personally, I believe all such decisions are up to da Boss.

idea

Question Everything
Jesus is God. The words of Jesus are the words of God.

Some day I hope you find this truth.

Heaven's Gate, all manner of god-complex pedophile cults, I hope one day you will stop teaching people their herd-bonding instincts are revelation from God. They are not. Watch the video, read what groups those people were from.. Countless people have been trapped in horrendous cults from such false information.

KW

The point is that the Catholic Church [original informal name was "the Way" and then in the 2nd century "Christian" and then in the 3rd century and from then on the "Catholic [Universal] Church" is the church that emerged from Jesus and the Apostles and their appointees as Acts and most of the epistles show. This is not speculation nor religion-- it's historical fact.

I agree that the name is irrelevant, but the name Catholic was used far sooner than that:

This is St. Ignatius's letter to the Smyrneans in about 107 AD:

See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is administered either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude of the people also be; even as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. —Letter to the Smyrnaeans, Ch 8

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I agree that the name is irrelevant, but the name Catholic was used far sooner than that:

This is St. Ignatius's letter to the Smyrneans in about 107 AD:

See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is administered either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude of the people also be; even as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. —Letter to the Smyrnaeans, Ch 8
It originally was used as a descriptor, meaning "universal", which later became gradually formalized in the 3rd century and beyond. And "orthodox" was also another 2nd century descriptor that became used during the Great Schism for the eastern Church much later.

KW

It originally was used as a descriptor, meaning "universal", which later became gradually formalized in the 3rd century and beyond. And "orthodox" was also another 2nd century descriptor that became used during the Great Schism for the eastern Church much later.

Agreed. The main point is that it is the same church regardless of what it was called.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
because choosing their will over god's/love's will is not godly. it is service to self. but simply because an offspring commits a sin, an error, an unloving act doesn't make them any less an offspring. a parent can mentally disown a child but physically they are still a child of the one who created it.

unconditional love doesn't disown its children. it may have to reprimand, correct, restrict them from certain actions but that is for their and everyone else's well being.

you obviously don't understand how love works. it is the LAW. nothing is above it. but there are those who are double minded. they want to be loved but they don't want to love other as self.
Love doesn't disown it's children, but unloving children will disown their Creator. IMV

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Love doesn't disown it's children, but unloving children will disown their Creator. IMV
oh that isn't a view. that is the standard of a double minded being. they want to be loved but they don't want to be loving and considerate of anything that is viewed as outside, apart, separate from me, mine, our's.

all are one. all came from the source. there is no duality except in self-delusion

Kenny

Premium Member
oh that isn't a view. that is the standard of a double minded being. they want to be loved but they don't want to be loving and considerate of anything that is viewed as outside, apart, separate from me, mine, our's.

all are one. all came from the source. there is no duality except in self-delusion
There is one source, yes... but there is duality (If I understand your meaning)
John 8:12
Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

(in light of my signature)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
There is one source, yes... but there is duality (If I understand your meaning)
John 8:12
Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

(in light of my signature)
duality is created by the illusion of contrast. the cup isn't half full, or half empty, the cup is full of something. light is understanding and darkness is willfully refusing to understand or just ignorance from the lack of seeking.

KW

duality is created by the illusion of contrast. the cup isn't half full, or half empty, the cup is full of something. light is understanding and darkness is willfully refusing to understand or just ignorance from the lack of seeking.

The road to heaven is narrow. You will be judged for your actions on earth.

If you reject God's grace and follow your own will you won't spend eternity with God.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The road to heaven is narrow. You will be judged for your actions on earth.

If you reject God's grace and follow your own will you won't spend eternity with God.
the road to heaven is neither to the left or right.

and i've already told you, you can't sin if you're following unconditional love proverbs 10:12 . love is perfect. the awe of love is the beginning of wisdom. the law is Love.

god is love. you cannot serve your personality, your religion and serve love.

love is not exclusive to a person, a place, a religion, an ethnicity, a race, a sex, a gender, an age, a culture, et al.

so god's will, god's spirit is to love.

KW

the road to heaven is neither to the left or right.

and i've already told you, you can't sin if you're following unconditional love proverbs 10:12 . love is perfect. the awe of love is the beginning of wisdom. the law is Love.

god is love. you cannot serve your personality, your religion and serve love.

love is not exclusive to a person, a place, a religion, an ethnicity, a race, a sex, a gender, an age, a culture, et al.

so god's will, god's spirit is to love.

Those are meaningless words. You and I are sinners. We must confess our sins and repent, then seek to follow God's grace toward holiness.

If you choose your own will over God's you are doomed.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Those are meaningless words. You and I are sinners. We must confess our sins and repent, then seek to follow God's grace toward holiness.

If you choose your own will over God's you are doomed.

wow now you're even denying your own scripture.

jesus said to be perfect as your father is perfect. you've already given up.

god's grace is to be merciful and forgiving. that again is love.

but it is written there would be folks that would find love contemptible, common. beneath their superiority.

daniel 12:2

god so loved the world, but so many despise love contrary to what is god's will

Kenny

Premium Member
Or... just not willing to live in the light.
2 Corinthians 6:14
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

KW

wow now you're even denying your own scripture.

jesus said to be perfect as your father is perfect. you've already given up.

god's grace is to be merciful and forgiving. that again is love.

but it is written there would be folks that would find love contemptible, common. beneath their superiority.

daniel 12:2

god so loved the world, but so many despise love contrary to what is god's will

Matt 25
41Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave Me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, I was naked and you did not clothe Me, I was sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’44And they too will reply, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’45Then the King will answer, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.’

46And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Matt 25
41Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave Me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, I was naked and you did not clothe Me, I was sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’44And they too will reply, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’45Then the King will answer, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.’

46And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
altruism, compassion, love

with love comes light, comes heaven

1 John 3:19

KW

altruism, compassion, love

with love comes light, comes heaven

1 John 3:19

2 Tim 4:3
For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
2 Tim 4:3
For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
suit their own desires is a service to self in relationship to maintaining the beast, the ego. like your religion is part of your personality.

that verse is speaking about your kind

Last edited: