• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Upcoming Fast

I like that you write your location as "The world". I suppose on internet, there is only so much one wants to write about oneself, so I think writing "The world" is quite enough.

I travelled a bit with my parents. Not a lot, but enough that at one point, when asked where I came from, I'd say "I'm a human", or "I'm a citizen of the world". It turned out to be very much in tune with the Baha'i concept of unity: "There is only one country, and mankind is its citizen". The point is that we're all equal in the eyes of God, so we have to work hard to break down prejudices.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I like that you write your location as "The world". I suppose on internet, there is only so much one wants to write about oneself, so I think writing "The world" is quite enough.

I travelled a bit with my parents. Not a lot, but enough that at one point, when asked where I came from, I'd say "I'm a human", or "I'm a citizen of the world". It turned out to be very much in tune with the Baha'i concept of unity: "There is only one country, and mankind is its citizen". The point is that we're all equal in the eyes of God, so we have to work hard to break down prejudices.

:D I don't believe in god, but I do think no one is automatically better than anyone else based on where they are from or what their religion is or anything like that. :D A lot of people on this site know where I'm actually from though... I just think "The World" is funny to write there, because when I ask my sister where we are going when I drive with her, she says "the world" if she isn't sure where she wants to go...

:D I don't believe in god, but I do think no one is automatically better than anyone else based on where they are from or what their religion is or anything like that. :D

Agreed. That's the principle. But in practise, there is often a difference in how people behave. I'm not talking about you, I know I do it myself, no matter how good is my intention to let go of prejudices. I think in the world there is still a lot of prejudices against women. And so on (the list can be long).

What is Nihilist? I'm just curious: since you don't believe in God, what's most interesting to you about this website (religousforum.com)?

I see you're offline. It was/is a genuine question, I'm interested in understanding what attracts people to religious forums, especially when they don't believe in God. Maybe I should start a thread about this!

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Agreed. That's the principle. But in practise, there is often a difference in how people behave. I'm not talking about you, I know I do it myself, no matter how good is my intention to let go of prejudices. I think in the world there is still a lot of prejudices against women. And so on (the list can be long).

What is Nihilist? I'm just curious: since you don't believe in God, what's most interesting to you about this website (religousforum.com)?

A nihilist doesn't believe in anything. I don't believe there is any "right" or "wrong" beyond what different cultures make up as what they think is right and wrong. I don't think anything is set in stone. Nothing is right or wrong in any sort of grand picture, only in individual opinion. And I don't believe in ghosts or after-lives or anything of that nature. I think we all just exist, and we'll never know for sure how it all started. Also, I don't think there is any purpose in life. We are all here, and we will each die, and nothing will matter in the long run.

I came to this site originally as a joke, because some people on another forum were joking about it and how they got banned right after joining. I thought there would only be crazy religious people here and that I would get banned the second they saw that I didn't agree with them, but I was wrong. There are lots of different people here, who mostly don't discriminate against people who don't believe what they believe. I stayed on the site because I made friends with people here, and enjoy talking to them. I usually don't even get involved in debates on here though. I just like the people. :D

A nihilist doesn't believe in anything.

I just like the people. :D

Thanks for explaining the concept of nihilism.

I think you're right, I am relatively new to online forums, but from what I've seen, I like this particular website.

Coming back to the topic of fasting, today was day 2, and it's already time to start the Fasting jocks: a friend called me at lunch time and asked what I'd think about a big meal with ... (fill the gap with whatever is your favorite food!)

Steinninn

Viking
This is my first time fastening. And right now, it's six (I go by the clock because I'm very north) and very hungry. I haven't eaten or drank for 12 hours and so happy to get something to eat. I'll have a glass of water and then banana and slowly work my way into a full meal.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I didn't eat yet today, but only because I didn't want to have lunch all alone again. I have been drinking water though, so I guess that wouldn't count.

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

Hi!

I just like the people.

Well, let me assure you we're very happy to have you here! :)

BTW, in case you'd like to visit another great bunch of folks, some Baha'i and some other, you might want to check out the Planet Baha'i discussion area, at: Planet Baha'i (once you're in, simply click "Messages").

It has a good mix of folks of various backgrounds!

Regards, :)

Bruce

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
This is my first time fastening. And right now, it's six (I go by the clock because I'm very north) and very hungry. I haven't eaten or drank for 12 hours and so happy to get something to eat. I'll have a glass of water and then banana and slowly work my way into a full meal.
Fair play to you. Fasting is wonderful, I wish I was with you. Next year hopefully.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Hi!

Well, let me assure you we're very happy to have you here! :)

BTW, in case you'd like to visit another great bunch of folks, some Baha'i and some other, you might want to check out the Planet Baha'i discussion area, at: Planet Baha'i (once you're in, simply click "Messages").

It has a good mix of folks of various backgrounds!

Regards, :)

Bruce

I'm not of the Baha'i Religion though... I don't know how I ended up in this thread. :D

arthra

Baha'i

Great to hear you're observing the fast Steinninn!

The first few days are usually the most difficult.. You're right to ease off the fast and "slowly work (your) way into a full meal". In time you'll appreciate some of the more subtle aspects of fasting and will definitely benefit and have spiritual bounties!

- Art

arthra

Baha'i
Exaggerated fasting destroys the divine forces. God has created man in a way that cannot be surpassed; we must not try to change his creation. Strive to attain nearness to reality through the acquisition of strength of character, through morality, through good works and helping the poor, through being consumed with the fire of the love of God and in discovering each day new spiritual mysteries. This is the path of intimate approach.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 99

arthra

Baha'i
Fasting is a spiritual obligation of adult Baha'is.

For Baha'is fasting is

"…essentially a period of meditation and prayer, of spiritual recuperation, during which the believer must strive to make the necessary readjustments in his inner life, and to refresh and reinvigorate the spiritual forces latent in his soul. Its significance and purpose are, therefore, fundamentally spiritual in character. Fasting is symbolic, and a reminder of abstinence from selfish and carnal desires."

No body is looking over our shoulder during the day to see that we
are fasting.. It is a personal experience that to me recalls what Jesus
instructed his followers to do in the Sermon on the Mount..to fast in secret.

I would say that for Baha'is fasting is one of the ways we can remember our spiritual lives in a different way than usual throughout the rest of the year.

So before dawn we rise up early and eat breakfast and take some liquids.

As the sun rises while it's still early we may say some prayers or deepen in the Writings.

It's also in a Baha'i family fasting is a shared experienced for the parents
as the children do not fast until they are fifteen years of age.

Around noon time while most people are doing the usual lunch scene we have that time to also meditate on what it means to fast..

We might recall that the small amount of discomfort we feel in our bellies, the hunger alarm, is a very minimal experience to what the early martyrs of our Faith experienced.. or we might remember the Baha'is imprisoned and behind
bars today in Iran who could be executed or abused every day and meditate on what it means to be a Baha'i..

As the day wares on and sunset nears we're reminded again of the discipline it takes to fast ..

Returning home near sunset we gather and break the fast together and recall the shared experience and recite prayers.

- Art

I'm reading right now a book that a colleague lended me called "How to run a traditional jewish household" by Blu Greenberg. What was interesting to me was her explanation of the importance of keeping Shabbat:

"To transform time from ordinary to extraordinary"

Although personally, I wouldn't want to live the Jewish way, I can see that this concept is a very important one. I think that when we fast, that's also what we do, we transform time from ordinary to extraordinary, and it costs something, but it's worth it.

arthra

Baha'i
Varion wrote of fasting:

I think that when we fast, that's also what we do, we transform time from ordinary to extraordinary, and it costs something, but it's worth it.

Well it probably doesn't cost as much as a lunch would..:p

- Art