• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unless you eat the flesh and drink the blood of the son of man, you have no life in you

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Its just a metaphor, its means until we ourselves become One in Christ, we then have no true life, or we only have a life that is carnal. t
I always look at it as metaphor. Even as a Christian I had never took it in any literal sense although the Catholic take seemed to mix both metaphorical and literal together during the Eucharist.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I notice that of all of the people who claim to be Solascriptura (Bible-alone), I've never known of one that actually was. One very common unbiblical belief that is embraced by many who claim the Bible is their sole authority is the belief that Jesus was only speaking symbolically when he said his followers must eat his flesh and drink his blood.

John 6
This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”
52Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”
53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them.
57Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.
58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”
59 He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

Many Disciples Desert Jesus

60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”
61 Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this...
...65 He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.”
66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

So, this was the first time in Jesus ministry that he lost followers. It was over this teaching. He never called them back to explain that he was speaking symbolically.

In every last supper account he says "This is my body, this is my blood". Those are not the words of symbolism. In fact, for the next 1500 years, every Christian Church on the face of the earth believed it to be literal. It's hard to imagine Jesus would use words to lead Christians astray for 1500 years without ever offering an explanation that He was speaking symbolically.

Paul goes on to further explain Holy communion as being literally the body and blood of Christ.
The early Church leaders ("Church Fathers") clearly believed holy communion was literally the flesh and blood of Christ as well.

exoteric vs esoteric.

one is a ritual with a hidden meaning.

like the washing of cups and plates, ablution

man doesn't live by bread alone but by every word as Love. The bread of life represents Love. Blood, or the juice of grapes, represent the Spirit of the thing.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I always look at it as metaphor. Even as a Christian I had never took it in any literal sense although the Catholic take seemed to mix both metaphorical and literal together during the Eucharist.
Yes i think they even believe that the wine is actually he's blood, which to me is ridiculous lol. :eek:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yes i think they even believe that the wine is actually he's blood, which to me is ridiculous lol. :eek:
Yes , the Church believes it to be literally his blood...so did 15 generations of Christianity, so did Paul and the Apostles, so does the Bible

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Well if it is, he must be a good drinking man lol.
yes, for his blood to be 11% alcohol

giphy.gif

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
People take things toooo literally sometimes :rolleyes: Maybe it's the poet in me, but gosh, read between the lines. If a Catholic thinks he is eating jesus bone and drinking jesus white and red blood cells, I'd probably ask him "say that again?" (In my head, hmm. maybe he needs to talk to someone) ... but, uh, that's not like me to think *cough cough*