• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Universal algorithm

Ostronomos

While illusion may deceive many an atheist and agnostic, there are even fewer who know that metaphysical naturalism does not carry weight, except to the gullible. For anyone who thinks it does, fails to see past their own nose. When I say "nose" I am referring to space, time and object and mankind's temporary place within it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
While illusion may deceive many an atheist and agnostic, there are even fewer who know that metaphysical naturalism does not carry weight, except to the gullible. For anyone who thinks it does, fails to see past their own nose. When I say "nose" I am referring to space, time and object and mankind's temporary place within it.
Question.is this just an other OP looking down on others?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Question.is this just an other OP looking down on others?

Absolutely, its a dig at atheist and agnostic based on wishful thinking and pie in the sky. It is of course expected.

So do you have any evidence to actually back up your claims?

Last edited:

vulcanlogician

Naturalism does carry weight. Is it a perfect metaphysical idea? No. All metaphysical ideas have problems.

Naturalism makes very few assumptions and still explains a great deal. So it has that going for it.

Contrast this with something like Platonism... a good, but very shaky theory... shaky due to some of the dubious assumptions it makes.

Now... I love Platonism. I return to it perennially because I think it captures something about reality that naturalism cannot. I also think Plato's theory of forms is underestimated, and dismissed too easily by those who haven't given it enough thought.

But, at the end of the day, naturalism is stronger than Platonism. I'm not saying one is correct and the other is false; I'm saying that one is a shaky theory, and the other is less shaky. We can't fault people for opting for the more solid theory, can we? Therefore, we can't fault naturalists.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

When discussing such topics, proper grammar and some explicit semantic assumptions can really move the conversation along.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I rather think you have a great deal more 'splainin' to do here, before we can make any sense -- if that exists -- of your post.

So, I think you need to explain what you mean by "metaphysical naturalism," and then further, you need to describe how "illusion" can cause non-believers (which is what I think you mean by "atheist and agnostic") can be deceived by it.

I imagine if we could ever get you to lay that out for us in a sensible fashion, we could move on to how the rest of us "fail to see past our own nose" -- and then of course how "nose" actually refers to "space, time and object and mankind's temporary place within it."

In other words, I'm suggesting that you have strung a lot of words together that have no more meaning to you than they do to the rest of us, and I expect complete silence in response to this post.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Absolutely, its a dig at atheist and agnostic based on wishful thinking and pie in the sky. It is of course expected.

So do you have any evidence to actually back up your claims?
Speaking of pie in the sky -- do you know how to bake one so light it will stay up there? Lord knows I've tried. (My zabaglione gritti comes close though -- that's as light a thing as I've ever been able to make.)

Heyo

Veteran Member
We need a "WTF" frubal. :rolleyes:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Speaking of pie in the sky -- do you know how to bake one so light it will stay up there? Lord knows I've tried. (My zabaglione gritti comes close though -- that's as light a thing as I've ever been able to make.)

My pies are heavy, stuffed with meat and/or veg, or fruit of the season. Comfort food for the hungry masses. I can do pretty light soufflé but that's definitely not pie. So no. I don't know how to bake a light pie.

I just baked some Yorkshire fat rascals, they don't count as light but they do make good door stops ;-)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
All the world is a stage...

Life is but a walking shadow.
Two different plays: the first is from "As You Like It," spoken by Jaques, while the second is "Macbeth," spoken by Macbeth.
Although that is a common phrase, after going through the OP again i misread it as.

All the world is strange
I love the speech, one of my favourite bits of memory work:

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse’s arms;
And then the whining school-boy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress’ eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon’s mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lin’d,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slipper’d pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose, well sav’d, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion;
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.