• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Understanding of spiritual/religious truth is so strange

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This question is mostly for theists but others may answer too.
Just keep in mind to respect each others understanding (meaning no mocking of belief)

Question: have you experienced that when you seeking the truth within the religion or spiritual teaching you practicing, that when you think you have understood, you realise very quickly that there are still nuances to the truth you been seeking?

And that there are levels to the truth we understand, the more we unveil our struggles and change, the clearer the answers become, but the answer can always be refined to more pure truth.

Or is it only me who discover this through the practice i do?
Any experience?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Just keep in mind to respect each others understanding (meaning no mocking of belief)

Question: have you experienced that when you seeking the truth within the religion or spiritual teaching you practicing, that when you think you have understood, you realise very quickly that there are still nuances to the truth you been seeking?

And that there are levels to the truth we understand, the more we unveil our struggles and change, the clearer the answers become, but the answer can always be refined to more pure truth.

Any experience?
Yes. I always feel I am barely scratching the surface.

Gargovic Malkav

Any experience?

Does your typewriter have a screen and an internet connection? ;)

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I can't claim to know much about Muslim spirituality, but from my POV, the mind is "infinite", it has no concept of its own beginning or death, so I think, trying to find the deepest level of the mind is probably like searching for the end of the internet. You will never find it, but on your way you might follow some links and then further links that lead you further and further to the knowledge of this or that aspect. Therein I see a certain danger that you may go astray. For this reason, I think it's most important to have a clear idea of your goal.

Many Buddhists emphasize that the thoughts or expectations of enlightenment are not identical with enlightenment itself. I believe that enlightenment is a spontaneous event and becomes more distant, the more you chase it.

Applied to Abrahamic religions, perhaps your goal is something else. Do you want to be one with God? Do you want to enjoy the status of being God's servant? I don't know to what extent Muslim spirituality allows for that, but I think you should definitely narrow down your goal better. Some practices might also be harmful. It would be a pity if you "analyze yourself to death" and possibly get harmed in the process.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I can't claim to know much about Muslim spirituality, but from my POV, the mind is "infinite", it has no concept of its own beginning or death, so I think, trying to find the deepest level of the mind is probably like searching for the end of the internet. You will never find it, but on your way you might follow some links and then further links that lead you further and further to the knowledge of this or that aspect. Therein I see a certain danger that you may go astray. For this reason, I think it's most important to have a clear idea of your goal.

Many Buddhists emphasize that the thoughts or expectations of enlightenment are not identical with enlightenment itself. I believe that enlightenment is a spontaneous event and becomes more distant, the more you chase it.

Applied to Abrahamic religions, perhaps your goal is something else. Do you want to be one with God? Do you want to enjoy the status of being God's servant? I don't know to what extent Muslim spirituality allows for that, but I think you should definitely narrow down your goal better. Some practices might also be harmful. It would be a pity if you "analyze yourself to death" and possibly get harmed in the process.
My friend, I seek much deeper than the mind.
The only "thing" i seek is the truth, the light of God.
But the "path or journey" to it is not easy, because everything that is seen as "I or ego" has to be left in the past. There will be no "I" together with God. Only the presence of God.

"
Black is a colour which absorbs everything because colours are what reflect back to you. The green is what didn’t absorb and reflects back to your eye. The black, it absorbs everything. It is the reality and station of Fana, station of annihilation in the divinely presence.]

Black has to do with the state of annihilation, that if you died and annihilated yourself, you shouldn’t be having an existence, you shouldn’t be reflecting anything of yourself, of your character, of your personality. Then the black, is being the highest point; means that the highest point is to enter into the Divine with no characteristic, with no identity, to be nothing, to be annihilated in Divinely Presence."

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
My friend, I seek much deeper than the mind.
The only "thing" i seek is the truth, the light of God.
But the "path or journey" to it is not easy, because everything that is seen as "I or ego" has to be left in the past. There will be no "I" together with God. Only the presence of God

If I were you, I would be very cautious about schooling others before having achieved mastery over myself. What is there about "your own presence" anyway that you seem to dislike so much that you want it "completely emptied out" and replaced with "God's presence" instead? That might be a question deserving a real spiritual quest.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If I were you, I would be very cautious about schooling others before having achieved mastery over myself. What is there about "your own presence" anyway that you seem to dislike so much that you want it "completely emptied out" and replaced with "God's presence" instead? That might be a question deserving a real spiritual quest.
I have no need in schooling others, everything i say in RF is only personal to what sufism is to me.
Nobody has to listen or take anything from what is said in Posts i make, but for those who wish, anything i say is free for othets to use in their path.

Because without end of self/ego, there is no being with God.
In sufism the "I or ego" is opposit of God. And to be with God there can not exist personality.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
......Question: have you experienced that when you seeking the truth within the religion or spiritual teaching you practicing, that when you think you have understood, you realise very quickly that there are still nuances to the truth you been seeking?
And that there are levels to the truth we understand, the more we unveil our struggles and change, the clearer the answers become, but the answer can always be refined to more pure truth. Or is it only me who discover this through the practice i do? Any experience?
I think the ^ above ^ can prove true for each of us.
In the Bible, religious truth is progressive - Proverbs 4:18; John 17:3 - through taking in more accurate knowledge.
We don't know all the details found at 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3, but after the fact there will be all the nuances.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
......Because without end of self/ego, there is no being with God. In sufism the "I or ego" is opposit of God. And to be with God there can not exist personality.

You might find the words about " I or ego " found at Philippians 2:2-4 to be of interest:
..... being of the same mind and having the same love, being completely united, having one thought in mind.
Do nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with humility consider others as superior to you, as you look out not only for your own interests, but also for the interests of others.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You might find the words about " I or ego " found at Philippians 2:2-4 to be of interest:
..... being of the same mind and having the same love, being completely united, having one thought in mind.
Do nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with humility consider others as superior to you, as you look out not only for your own interests, but also for the interests of others.
Thank you for sharing this @URAVIP2ME

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns

Any experience?
With Christianity I found that. With my current practice? No. The whole thing is nothing but more to learn so I never feel I understood it so I am constantly learning more.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Question: have you experienced that when you seeking the truth within the religion or spiritual teaching you practicing, that when you think you have understood, you realize very quickly that there are still nuances to the truth you been seeking?
For me, the quest is over. I have understood life completely, no questions remain. But I can wager that the religious will never achieve that state of being completely without doubt.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
........The whole thing is nothing but more to learn so I never feel I understood it so I am constantly learning more.
Yes, I agree we all should constantly be learning more.
Or as John 17:3 says that it means ' everlasting life ' coming to know God and the one He sent, Jesus Christ.
We come to know God through prayer and the pages of Scripture along with good association.
God is only a prayer away - Acts of the Apostles 17:27
We can always grow in accurate Bible knowledge of Christ - 2 Peter 3:18 - because Jesus gives us insight - 1 John 5:20

muhammad_isa

For me, the quest is over. I have understood life completely, no questions remain..
Oh dear. A person that thinks that they can't be wrong.

I am always realising that I'm wrong, about a lot of things.
When I became a Muslim 45 years ago [born again], that was only the foundation for a journey that has no end. :)