• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UN chief warns global leaders: The world is in ‘great peril’

muhammad_isa

You clearly have little understanding of biblical theology.
I see you have ignored what I said..

"if we all were careful about putting into practice what Jesus taught,
we wouldn't be facing climate catastrophe, as we are
."

That is, "wishing for your brother that which you wish for yourselves",
rather than exploiting others for material gain, corrupting the earth.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Please quote a scientific study where research had been done to show that God creates through the laws of nature.
In science, we cannot "plug" God or Gods in because we can't see Him/Them, or even establish that they exist. A belief in God(s) is a manifestation of faith, not objectively derived evidence. My main orientation is science because it does demand an objective approach. Religion in general and Christianity in particular emerged only very recently in Earth's history, so if belief in God was so essential, what about all the humans who existed prior to 2000+ years?

I say that is a compromise made by theological liberalism.
Call it what you want, but someone could retort that your position is basically "theological bigotry". :shrug:

The fact remains, The Genesis accounts are quite specifically Adam and Eve who are created in God’s image. It is not just that some beings were created in God’s image, and that this could later be realized by a couple of their descendants.
Anyone who believes in the Creation accounts as being literal history is likely to be willing to believe in almost anything.

Instead, I believe these accounts [there are two of them] were used as "myth" to counter the earlier and much more widespread polytheistic Babylonian account of creation. The use of storytelling permeates all cultures, and they often are dealt with as if they were real history, which may include even some of the characters.

According to Jesus, there are Two Commandments, and I do think you know what they are. Anything beyond them are basically side bars in comparison.

Also, what are theologically called "variations" abound throughout the Bible, such as the four Gospel accounts of the women at Jesus' tomb, whereas no two match precisely.

Last edited:

Five Solas

Religion in general and Christianity in particular emerged only very recently
I was under the impression that you taught a course on Christianity?
Do you not know or understand that Christianity is an unbroken continuation of the Old Testament?
Do you have any understanding of the covenants? Including the old and new covenants?
I see you have ignored what I said..
No, I did not. I responded to everything. Your reaction indicates you have little understanding of biblical theology.

Five Solas

Anyone who believes in the Creation accounts as being literal history is likely to be willing to believe in almost anything.
You did not look at my response, did you? That makes your statement irrelevant.
Where did I say it is literal?

be honest in your reactions. You are not interested in discussing the issue which is why you resort to insults.

Five Solas

Instead, I believe these accounts [there are two of them] were used as "myth" to counter the earlier and much more widespread polytheistic Babylonian account of creation.
From this it is clear that you would not and cannot believe a
According to Jesus, there are Two Commandments, and I do think you know what they are.
Do you rely on insults because you have no proper argument?
Do you think insults your arguments more valid?

Five Solas

Call it what you want, but someone could retort that your position is basically "theological bigotry". :shrug:
Are you WOKE?
Or why do you rely on insults?

PS - My views are in line with orthodox Christianity, yours are not. Yours are modern ideas less than a hundred years old - fact.

Five Solas

Also, what are theologically called "variations" abound throughout the Bible, such as the four Gospel accounts of the women at Jesus' tomb, whereas no two match precisely.
So? Witness accounts never 'match exactly. That is a fact.
If they were exactly the same why would we need 4?
Each one of them brings a wonderful new perspective - I thank God for that.

muhammad_isa

No, I did not. I responded to everything. Your reaction indicates you have little understanding of biblical theology.
I said:

"It makes little difference in theology, whether God created us by "poof, and we exist", or by some other means.

and your reply:

"you have little understanding of biblical theology"

In other words, you are saying that you insist that God created mankind by "poof, and Adam suddenly appeared".

What difference does it make?
Does it change how Jesus taught us to live?

Five Solas

Instead, I believe these accounts [there are two of them] were used as "myth" to counter the earlier and much more widespread polytheistic Babylonian account of creation. The use of storytelling permeates all cultures, and they often are dealt with as if they were real history, which may include even some of the characters.
What else do you see as myth?
Is Moses myth?
Is it just a story that he went up the mountain 3 times?
Is the 10 commandments also just myth? I.e. was it not given to Moses directly by God? Or did Moses (or someone) make it up?
So, God did not tell Moses that He created the universe?
Is the exodus myth?
Is Abraham myth?
Is the covenant with Abraham myth?

What do you choose and what do you reject and why? I mean, is that not what theological liberalism does?

Do you reject the Old Testament? I get that impression because you are also very selective in what you accept in the New Testament.

Five Solas

In other words, you are saying that you insist that God created mankind by "poof, and Adam suddenly appeared".
I think it will be good if you go back and read my posts with comprehension. And DO NOT put words in my mouth. That is dishonest.

Do that first and then we can continue the discussion.

Five Solas

What difference does it make?
Does it change how Jesus taught us to live?
As I have stated, these questions indicate that you have little understanding of biblical theology. I do not blame you if that is the case because you are not a Christian.

It is better not to pretend that you know.

Last edited:

Five Solas

There is no point discussing with you.
You can't even answer simple questions..
..whatever..
Fine. And true - If you do not read what I have said or lay words in my mouth then there cannot be an honest discussion.

Read what I have said first, then get back to me and stop putting words in my mouth. That is not honest.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What else do you see as myth?
Myth does not mean falsehood in theological circles. Matter of fact, the purpose of myth is to teach general beliefs whether they were actual historical events or using storytelling.

Jesus' parables mean something whether one reads them as literally history or as storytelling. Not only did the ancient Semitic approach use them, it's commonplace throughout the world, especially within oral traditions.