• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK general election May 2015

Who will you (or are likely to) vote for in the coming UK general election this May?

• Total voters

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Oh, UKIP will take South Thanet by storm, I guarantee you that. The latest Survation poll puts him way ahead of anyone else. Now, I know that I have said that polls are mathematically pointless, but when polls are taken for a smaller turnout of voters, they begin to paint a very realistic picture of what is coming. UKIP will take many seats in Kent alone.

We're certainly going to hear a lot about him coming up to the General Election. Unfortunately, most of what we will hear will be slanderous and an appeal to emotion over actual political/economical (depending) arguments.

That reads like a good assessment to me.
And Yes, Mr Farage and his candidates will be accused of eating baby-sandwiches, kicking dogs, beating up old ladies etc within the next two months. But he does handle that bulldust very well. Even when something proven is reported he just faces up to the flack and gives straight answers.
I am going to vote UKIP, and I am going to enjoy the next few years! :D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Care to have a small wager on that? ;)
I'm still waiting for your best guess on UKIP seats for a little (RF legal) flutter! :p
I guess at 13-20 seats, which will provide me with hearty entertainment for years!

Which leads automatically to 'We will hear loads about and from Mr Farage during the next years.'
I don't think he will get much in Suffolk........ full of rich farmers and other landowners and too far from the old London Holiday resorts, but Essex, Kent, Sussex, Hants........ Oh Boy! :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
No it isn't, there are professionals who advise politicians in great detail on the image they project.

I don't think that Mr Farage or many UKIP candidates have sought the assistance of the 'front and face makers'.
Mr Farage's image might just as well be a bloke with a mug of real-ale......... English, see? :p

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I don't think that Mr Farage or many UKIP candidates have sought the assistance of the 'front and face makers'.

Of course he has! They all do. Clearly he is trying to project a "man of the people image", smoking **** and drinking beer. I wouldn't be surprised if before becoming well known on the political stage he was a non-smoking teetotaller!
Just imagine the scene:
Publicist: "Sorry Nigel but you are going to have to take up smoking **** and drinking beer"
Nigel: "But those things are very bad for you!"
Publicist: "Well you probably die a lot younger, but at least you'll be famous"
;)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Of course he has! They all do. Clearly he is trying to project a "man of the people image", smoking **** and drinking beer. I wouldn't be surprised if before becoming well known on the political stage he was a non-smoking teetotaller!
Just imagine the scene:
Publicist: "Sorry Nigel but you are going to have to take up smoking **** and drinking beer"
;)

Wot???!!!
**** 'n' Beer??? !!!!
Man of the people image?
My God... we're in bloody England! A man of the people would buy a bottle of White-Lightning and sod off home so he could drink it all himself. You've been sheltered all these years.
You come over to HerniaBay for a weekend and we'll send you back to Suffolk edicu... edacat.... wised up.
Well, even that is a turnaround ...... totally new. What Labour or Conservative MP would go for a FagsnBeer image?
We've got 'I-cycle-to-work' MPs, we've got a few 'sodit-I-got-a-soddingrolls' images but....fagsnbooze?
I actually liked John Prescott's image ..... chuck-anything-at-me-and-I-will-punch-you-in-the-mouth... hard!.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
Just imagine the scene:
;)

Or perhaps he just smokes cigarettes and drinks beer because he enjoys it. I would be appalled if I became a politician and people accused me of "faking it".

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
I am as likely to support and vote for isis as I am to vote for ukip.

WdbpHAe.jpg

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
You would rather support a group that systemically executes people publicly over a group that wants us out of a superstate which makes 75% of our laws?
Priorities..

You are learning ukip style very well.
you invent your own version of what people say and respond to that instead.
of course I find both ukip and isis abhorrent.

On balance I would much prefer to be in Europe than outside it. Inevitably that entails sharing in the necessary lawmaking and the costs and benefits of membership.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
You are learning ukip style very well.

?

you invent your own version of what people say and respond to that instead.

"I am as likely to support and vote for isis as I am to vote for ukip." <--- Your quote. You place them on the same level, despite the systematic executions. Do you support these executions?
Also, you're comparing apples and oranges.

of course I find both ukip and isis abhorrent.

Why do you find UKIP abhorrent?

On balance I would much prefer to be in Europe than outside it. Inevitably that entails sharing in the necessary lawmaking and the costs and benefits of membership.

And we will stay in Europe for as long as the country is on the face of the Earth--even if UKIP comes to power.
What we don't want is to stay inside of the EU--a political assembly that is entirely separate from the question of being in the geographical Europe.

Except we aren't sharing the lawmaking, but laws are put upon us instead. There is nothing we can do about this, unless every other member state were to vote against each and every piece of legislation (1000s upon 1000s of pieces of legislation have been enforce upon us). And if this happened, then what is the point of the EU?
Except we aren't sharing the costs and benefits of membership. We make an average loss of around £33,000,000/day. Gross contributions are ~£55,000,000. This means that we only get £12,000,000/day back.
Now tell me, how is this sharing?[/QUOTE]

Altfish

Veteran Member
Latest range of predictions are...

Conservatives 242 to 322 seats
Labour 239 to 324
SNP 22 to 50
Lib Dems 18 to 37
DUP 7 to 10
SDLP 1 to 3
Plaid Cymru 1 to 4
Greens 1 to 2
UKIP 0 to 2
Other 6 to 10

Altfish

Veteran Member
?

And we will stay in Europe for as long as the country is on the face of the Earth--even if UKIP comes to power.
What we don't want is to stay inside of the EU--a political assembly that is entirely separate from the question of being in the geographical Europe.

Except we aren't sharing the lawmaking, but laws are put upon us instead. There is nothing we can do about this, unless every other member state were to vote against each and every piece of legislation (1000s upon 1000s of pieces of legislation have been enforce upon us). And if this happened, then what is the point of the EU?
Except we aren't sharing the costs and benefits of membership. We make an average loss of around £33,000,000/day. Gross contributions are ~£55,000,000. This means that we only get £12,000,000/day back.
Now tell me, how is this sharing?
What this doesn't take into account is that there are financial gains for being an EU member.
e.g. Nissan, Toyota, and many more are in this country because we are an EU member and it gives them access to the free market. Will they stay if we leave?

Regarding the laws that are 'put upon us'; that is not true, the UK as an EU member is involved in creating these laws, reviewing and refining these laws. I have been involved in this process in a minor way as part of construction legislation.

There is a lot wrong with Europe that needs reforming but spitting the dummy out is not the answer and will cost the UK dearly.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
What this doesn't take into account is that there are financial gains for being an EU member.
e.g. Nissan, Toyota, and many more are in this country because we are an EU member and it gives them access to the free market. Will they stay if we leave?

Nissan and Toyota will continue to sell us their goods even if we leave the EU. They have to stay in the country, or else it would damage their profits. The EU doesn't bring in trade; politicians don't bring in trade. The demand for goods and services by the market does! And, after all, it is more beneficial for other Euro countries to trade with us as we buy more from them than we sell to them.
This applies to all goods providers like Nestle, Mercedes, Danish bacon, and French wines!
It's actually a lot harder to set up a trading company in this country due to all of the red tape supplied to us via EU Directives.

Regarding the laws that are 'put upon us'; that is not true, the UK as an EU member is involved in creating these laws, reviewing and refining these laws. I have been involved in this process in a minor way as part of construction legislation.

Law, legislation, and other directives can only be reformed if there is a majority vote on said issue. There are 28 countries in the EU, so the chances of actually choosing which laws and what they command are actually slim. We only have 1/28th of a say on laws that are forcefully passed here, is this democratic? It gives the country a smaller voice if anything!

There is a lot wrong with Europe that needs reforming but spitting the dummy out is not the answer and will cost the UK dearly.

We have been told time and time again by our politicians that they will reform, twist, and bend the rules. But they fail to do so to a satisfactory standard and the penny has dropped with the British people that it's time to have an amicable divorce not with Europe, but with the EU. Also, a total open-door immigration policy is absolutely non-negotiable as long as we are a member of this political union.