• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK general election May 2015

Who will you (or are likely to) vote for in the coming UK general election this May?

• Total voters

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't think there'll be any U-kippers left by the time of the election. :p
Whaaattttt?!!!
We-Kippers 'll still be there.
After a lifetime of being bored to sleep over politics, I want to wake up to crazy headlines at least three times a week.
I want that Nice Mr Farage running UKIP, and that nice Boris running the Blues, and somebody equally unusual running Labour, etc......... The Liberals or whatever they call 'emselves now...... can carry on as they are.....

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Whaaattttt?!!!
We-Kippers 'll still be there.
After a lifetime of being bored to sleep over politics, I want to wake up to crazy headlines at least three times a week.
I want that Nice Mr Farage running UKIP, and that nice Boris running the Blues, and somebody equally unusual running Labour, etc......... The Liberals or whatever they call 'emselves now...... can carry on as they are.....
Denis Skinner's getting on a bit, but he'd liven things up; maybe Lembit Opik could get re-elected and become LibDem leader for a clean sweep

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Denis Skinner's getting on a bit, but he'd liven things up; maybe Lembit Opik could get re-elected and become LibDem leader for a clean sweep
They must have somebody to match Nigel and Boris.
Imagine Boris being PM........... sodding great runways off the Barrow sands in the Thames Estuary, with giant 747s trying to miss the windfarms all around......... all paid for with Toilet Taxes. We'd all be crapping in the woods ....... or disguising 'em as Welsh dressers.
Imagine Nigel as PM........... I could be knocked up in the middle of the night and told that since I'm a quarter New Zealander I will be deported to the Falklands!
etc........... and 'yes', Dennis is slightly left of Karl Marx so he would make a good showing!

But I wouldn't be bored! :p

Altfish

Veteran Member
They must have somebody to match Nigel and Boris.
Imagine Boris being PM........... sodding great runways off the Barrow sands in the Thames Estuary, with giant 747s trying to miss the windfarms all around......... all paid for with Toilet Taxes. We'd all be crapping in the woods ....... or disguising 'em as Welsh dressers.
Imagine Nigel as PM........... I could be knocked up in the middle of the night and told that since I'm a quarter New Zealander I will be deported to the Falklands!
etc........... and 'yes', Dennis is slightly left of Karl Marx so he would make a good showing!

But I wouldn't be bored! :p
Tom Watson for Labour leader.

The thing with Boris is that he is a very clever buffoon; he has the ability to build a good team around him whilst cocking everything else up. He'd be a good leader in the same (insane) way that George Bush was!!

I'm not sure Farage could build a team.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

The thing with Boris is that he is a very clever buffoon; he has the ability to build a good team around him whilst cocking everything else up. He'd be a good leader in the same (insane) way that George Bush was!!

Yes........... Boris!
I reckon that Boris could have taken us through the Battle of Britain, almost as well as Churchill did. And Boris would make as many mistakes as Churchill previously had , and we would remember him.
I cannot vote for the Blues, but I like Boris.

Tom Watson? Any chance he might extend my buss pass to include rail and undergrounds?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It'll be interesting to see when it comes to the polling booths whether U-kippers will bottle out and vote Tory.
Nah! We-kippers will hold tight, even with false-accounting MEPS and crazy candidates falling to right and left, we will hold fast! (picture Rumpole........ holding flaming torch aloft).

Altfish

Veteran Member
Nah, we don't want the same-old, same-old all over again!
Unfortunately, that is exactly what we'll get.
The pairing up of parties will decide how right wing or left wing the policies will be.
UKIP + Tories = v right wing
Labour + SNP = a lot more left wing

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I reckon that Boris could have taken us through the Battle of Britain, almost as well as Churchill did.

I think Boris would make a good U-kipper, "We will fight them on the beaches and not let any in...." :p

"Never have so many laughed at so few..." :p

Last edited by a moderator:

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Nah, we don't want the same-old, same-old all over again!
If that really were the case, surely any defecting MPs would be told they weren't wanted?

Tom Watson would certainly be an interesting choice :)

..I'm not sure GWB had much to do with the team built around his presidency: mainly his daddy's friends telling him what to do. Just had a thought: if Boris' father got in on the act, then you'd see something truly bizarre goings on

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
I think Boris would make a good U-kipper, "We will fight them on the beaches and not let any in...." :p

The speech was made as an offensive measure to contribute to the cause of halting of the possible invasion by Nazi Germany. The statement you made was made in relation to not allowing any Nazis in, if you like. Terrorists; murderers. Nothing about immigrants.

However, the statement you quote still stands today: are we really going to allow convicted murderers and terrorists into our country, knowingly? I think not. And I hope that you would think not either.
Therefore if believing in Churchill's statement is an equivalent to being a UKIP'per, that must make you, Spiny Norman, a UKIP'per!

"Never have so many laughed at so few..." :p

I'm not laughing at any minority.

If that really were the case, surely any defecting MPs would be told they weren't wanted?

Going for the players and not the ball. The goal is on the other side of the pitch, but the opposition is playing a dirty game.

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Going for the players and not the ball. The goal is on the other side of the pitch, but the opposition is playing a dirty game.
What?

If you want to say "Nah, we don't want the same-old, same-old all over again!", and so desperately want to convince people that you're not like all the others, why be so happy to accept exactly those people you say you're not like? That's not being ad hominem or "playing the players", that's pointing out your evident desire to have your cake and eat it. Unless you can describe exactly why Carswell and Reckless (plus Hamilton and any other ex-MPs & members of political machinery) are now not the "same-old same-old" just because they've joined a party you happen to support.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
What?

If you want to say "Nah, we don't want the same-old, same-old all over again!",

"Same-old, same-old" was referring to the political social democratic view of the Conservatives and Labour. The average person does not care about politicians, but the policy that affects them instead.
Ask the average person who the Minister for the Civil Service is, and I doubt many if any would have a clue--no matter a backbench politician.

and so desperately want to convince people that you're not like all the others, why be so happy to accept exactly those people you say you're not like?

People's views and opinions change over the course of time. Whether this is by external influence or direct observation, it happens--it's happened to me dozens of times!
The politician that crosses the floor has done so over such a change in political opinion.

not the "same-old same-old" just because they've joined a party you happen to support.

They want a Australian-style, points based system so that we are able to control the quality and quantity of people that come into the UK.
They want to no longer sustain an EU membership.

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
The average person does not care about politicians, but the policy that affects them instead.
Sorry, I'm getting very mixed signals..

So forget this "being not like the others" message, UKIP are fundamentally just like all the others but with a few different policies?

The average person does not care about politicians, but the policy that affects them instead.
Ah, such sweet naiveté.. you really think that people think like that? Why then do politicians get forced out of office for personal peccadillos? If policy is all that matters, why has a single MP (or councillor) ever resigned?

But I suppose if people only care about policy, then that must make it fine to have corrupt sleazeballs like Hamilton on board, providing they're on-message policy-wise. Hold on a sec.. haven't we been over this before?