• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truth and Versions of Religion

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
so you're expecting people who are the actuators of the law to be irresponsible
They are. They can't help but be. What is left to decide is how much freedom to cause damage they will be given.

and individuals will somehow become more responsible?
Yes. If for no other reason, because they will attempt not to expose themselves to arbitration and enforcement that they know from the start to be unreliable and unfair.

how would a selfish person suddenly become responsible and choose a path of service to all?
That is a separate matter, but mainly, by learning better.

so you believe that people without a formal judicial system are more apt to become conscentious? how would that be possible?
No, a formal judicial system will always exist. But we do not have any duty to value it, nor to expose ourselves to it beyond what is unavoidable.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Is Truth subjective?

Can truth be exclusive to a religion? Or are religions a "form" of the Truth?

I think there are 4 aspects of Truth: knowledge, justice, love and beauty--from pure objective to pure subjective, and combined in between. Revealed religions eschew objective reasoning (which they will deny) when objective reason is made subordinate to subjective, emotional (blind) faith. But emotion can't be denied since it's what motivates us. To use a ship as analogy, without reason at the helm, it will run off course and eventually aground. But without the engine of emotion for motivation, the ship is dead in the water. Emotions must be guided by reason.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is Truth subjective?

I find any concept of Truth to generally be a creation of fellow human beings. I guess belief in one Truth or another helps some folks get by.

Myself, I'm kind of happy to be free of this need to define Truth and enjoy this actual moment to moment experience of life.

Each moment of this experience of life is the truth for me which is quickly replace by the next moment. If I try to grasp that moment and define it's truth I find I'm trying to define something that no longer exists.

jtartar

Is Truth subjective?

Fool,
There is only ONE truth!! If what you say differs from what the Bible says, it is NOT the truth.
Most religions say they are teaching the truth, but they re not!!!
If there are Scriptures in the Bible that contradict your doctrine, or truth, you are wrong,and must search further for the truth.
Notice,in Proverbs 2:4 we are told to search for wisdom as for hid treasure as silver. Wisdom from the Bible is truth, and all people who want to be saved MUST worship with spirit and TRUTH, John 4:23,24. The Bible says that there is only ONE, faith, one hope, one Baptism. If we want to survive the coming Great Tribulation, Revelation 7:14, we must find that ONE, and quickly because all indications are, Jesus is coming very soon, and for Judgement, Acts 17:31.
The entire 24th chapter of Matthew is what Jesus said it would be like here on earth, just before he comes again.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Fool,
There is only ONE truth!! If what you say differs from what the Bible says, it is NOT the truth.
Most religions say they are teaching the truth, but they re not!!!
If there are Scriptures in the Bible that contradict your doctrine, or truth, you are wrong,and must search further for the truth.
Notice,in Proverbs 2:4 we are told to search for wisdom as for hid treasure as silver. Wisdom from the Bible is truth, and all people who want to be saved MUST worship with spirit and TRUTH, John 4:23,24. The Bible says that there is only ONE, faith, one hope, one Baptism. If we want to survive the coming Great Tribulation, Revelation 7:14, we must find that ONE, and quickly because all indications are, Jesus is coming very soon, and for Judgement, Acts 17:31.
The entire 24th chapter of Matthew is what Jesus said it would be like here on earth, just before he comes again.

the bible doesn't say that wisdom is hidden in the bible, or the truth is hidden in the bible.

wisdom comes from within the kingdom of god and the kingdom of god doesn't come from careful observation of scripture.

Milton Platt

Is Truth subjective?

Although it shouldn't be, the word truth seems to be a rather stretchy word.

Truth COULD be exclusive to a religion, but it obviously isn't.