• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump's sneakers may earn him an additional ... lawsuit

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Anyone notice those red soles on the bottom of Trump's MAGA sneakers (made in CHI-nah)? Turns out that may be trademark infringement. Louboutin owns the trademark for red sole shoes and has already gone after many other companies for trademark infringement. (Yes, colors can be trademarked.)

Originally, the trademark pertained to red soles on women's shoes but red soles have become synonymous with the Louboutin brand. Its signature red bottoms extend to its other footwear which includes red-sole sneakers for men and women. Trump's sneakers are also marketed for men and women.

Fashion Law.com - Are Donald Trump’s Red Soled Sneakers a Lawsuit in the Making?

eta typo

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Anyone notice those red soles on the bottom of Trump's MAGA sneakers (made in CHI-nah)? Turns out that may be trademark infringement. Louboutin owns the trademark for red sole shoes and has already gone after many other companies for trademark infringement. (Yes, colors can be trademarked.)

Originally, the trademark pertained to red soles on women's shoes but red soles have become synonymous with the Louboutin brand. Its signature red bottoms extend to its other footwear which includes red-sole sneakers for men and women. Trump's sneakers are also marketed for men and women.

Fashion Law.com - Are Donald Trump’s Red Soled Sneakers a Lawsuit in the Making?

eta typo
I have Puma basketball shoes that have red soles. This sounds like nonsense and will probably be thrown out. The trademark should be thrown out, too. Trademarking a color, good grief.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
I don't even think they can succeed, although it does remind me of past lawsuits with John Deere and their trademark green paint.

Some examples of previous cases:

Major Louboutin Win in Trademark Infringement Case: Red Soles Are a Trademark
Christian Louboutin wins ECJ ruling over red-soled shoes
Louboutin wins trademark case against Chinese company
Christian Louboutin wins Indian trademark battle
Brazil: Christian Louboutin succeeds with unregistered rights

To be fair, it wouldn't necessarily be worth going after Trump on this. His sneakers are gaudy crap from an Asian sweatshop that no one would ever mistake for a Louboutin product.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
I have Puma basketball shoes that have red soles. This sounds like nonsense and will probably be thrown out. The trademark should be thrown out, too. Trademarking a color, good grief.
*Tiffany's has entered the chat*

*Owens-Corning has entered the chat*

*Waffle Ball has entered the chat*

*Cadbury has entered the chat*

*UPS has entered the chat*

:)

The Lanham Act And Color Trademarks

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
*Tiffany's has entered the chat*

*Owens-Corning has entered the chat*

*Waffle Ball has entered the chat*

*Cadbury has entered the chat*

*UPS has entered the chat*

:)

The Lanham Act And Color Trademarks
Still think it's stupid. I think they should only be allowed to trademark something they've actually come up with themselves. They didn't invent those colors, so they have no right to say they own it. The US has a lot of dumb laws.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Still think it's stupid. I think they should only be allowed to trademark something they've actually come up with themselves. They didn't invent those colors, so they have no right to say they own it. The US has a lot of dumb laws.
It is not just the US. This appears to be an international case.

I was about to argue in favor of Trump with three facts, Louboutin. Luckily I checked out their website. Louboutin only does high end women's shoes. Oops, wrong, they do men's too. Louboutin only does high end dress shoes. Ooops, I would have been wrong again. They sneakers as well. Well Louboutin has a specific color of red. And three strikes and I would have been out. They have a different shade of red on their sneakers since one cannot use that same red in soft rubber.

1708892891559.png

But now the good news for Trump fans. Not to worry. They are already "sold out" and Trump does not even need to deliver any of them.

1708893020753.png

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Louboutin have won a number of similar cases, see post #9
A perusal of several links suggests that it's not
just the color red. It's a particular red with a
particular gloss, on particular shoes....shoes
that are very different from Trump's.
Market confusion appears to be the issue.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
A perusal of several links suggests that it's not
just the color red. It's a particular red with a
particular gloss, on particular shoes....shoes
that are very different from Trump's in function.
And far less ugly.

That's not how i read them, it's red soles that are trademarked.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's not how i read them, it's red soles that are trademarked.
Have you seen the actual trademark?
I still find it hard to believe the the company
could singularly own the right to every shade
of red for every shoe's sole.

BTW, this was the actor, "Red Buttons".
red-buttons-bedb828b-9e18-4611-a4e0-52cad74320f-resize-750.jpeg